Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is it that dangerous in Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

kingstriker
Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I are staying together through University despite the distance between Southampton where I am and Nottingham where she is.

Obviously we've kept in touch via skype, texts, msn etc. and the way she's describing her area is making me worried about her safety. She's mentioned a KFC with bulletproof glass and her flatmates getting shot at with BB guns while just walking to the shops!

She's mentioned that her flatmates are a great bunch and they all get on really well. So I guess I'm safe in assuming she'll never be left to walk the streets alone. Am I being too paranoid about the crime rates in Nottingham to worry about my girlfriend's safety? Is it that bad there?

Thanks for any replies!

Ignore the scaremongers. It isn't anywhere near as bad as most other major cities in the UK.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I've been here for 17 years - it isn't as bad as they make out :P It has it's bad parts like the meadows & St. Anns where you wouldn't really roam at night, but there are more average/good than those places - bulwell, top valley, arnold, nuthall, bilborough are all alright places to be. Besides, if you're in the city centre then there is bound to be a lot of people around you, it's never quiet in Notts that's for sure :P
Reply 42
The BB guns might be slight exaggeration but yes Nottingham is a violent city however it seemed like a very nice city when I went there. My friend got burgled on the first day of moving there.
Original post by B230
The BB guns might be slight exaggeration but yes Nottingham is a violent city however it seemed like a very nice city when I went there. My friend got burgled on the first day of moving there.

Your friend would be mugged in a police station. :dipsy:

I jest. But he must have looked a right mug and been in completely the wrong area to get mugged on his first day.

Nottingham is a good city. However, if your naive, you can be mugged anywhere.
Reply 44
Original post by kingstriker
I really have NO knowledge on most of northern england

Geography fail.
Reply 45
I heard Sherwood forest was lawless......................
Reply 46
ohh ****, im going nottingham uni next year, so was wondering whether i should get a bulletproof vest or a knife for christmas? what would give me more street cred so i dont get gang raped? :redface:
Reply 47
Its people like you that make me sick. You sound like such a sheltered person its un real. I live in Dorset now and come across people like you it sickens me. You go to southampton because you dont want to leave the place you have grown up with. I have lived near nottingham for 16 years of my life. (Lived in Chesterfield and went to either nottingham or sheffield for weekends) never been mugged in my life never been threatened. I think you need to experiance the world a little more or at least the UK i so hope you are not studying travel and tourism for the sights of Dorset. Grow a pair and man the **** up
Reply 48
I got a firework thrown at me a few weeks ago, only a little one though when i was walking to my mates. However i do work there and live near there, never had any other trouble. I live in a little town and i hear of more stuff happening there than Nottingham :smile:
Reply 49
No, Nottingham is not as danagerous as people make out, the first time I went there I shared my carriage with a bunch of rioters and was met at the station by a row of riot police and nothing happened to me, not even a threat. It's just like any other city, just don't act stupid and agressive as that is inviting trouble.
I haven't read this thread, simply because it's a question thats been asked hundreds of times! I've lived in Nottingham for 3 years, it's now my home as I have a full time job etc etc. I have never seen or encountered any problems in my time here, and I live in Radford/Hyson Green - again, have done for the past 3 years!
Sure you get your bad parts, but what city hasn't. Crime is at the lowest it has been in YEARS.
Reply 51
It's no worse than Sahhhthampton.
Reply 52
Original post by Diabolic99
Every Nottingham yout is moist. Say nothing.

Joking, although I'll put my life on the line and say South London is worse.

Agreed. So I guess people from London wouldn't really be surprised by anything.
There are bad parts like any city, as people have said. Whenever I've been in Nottingham there have been police/community officers on patrol so I have felt quite safe :smile:

I'd say London was worse!
Original post by inksplodge
There are bad parts like any city, as people have said. Whenever I've been in Nottingham there have been police/community officers on patrol so I have felt quite safe :smile:

I'd say London was worse!

london has 10 million population, nottingham has 270 000 hardly comparable, that aside this is nottinghams time line over the christman period.

New years day man stabbed to death

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Man-died-injured-city-centre/article-3056434-detail/article.html

shots fired in radford on newyears day

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Roads-Radford-cordoned-police-investigate-incident/article-3056341-detail/article.html

Boxing day man shot and is in critical condition...

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/crime/24-year-old-man-critical-St-Ann-s-shooting/article-3040529-detail/article.html
Louis, you're back. How everyone has missed your relentless and pointless scaremongering. Did you have a good christmas or was Santa mugged on your neighbours roof??
Reply 56
I live in Radford near Asda and haven't seen or heard anything besides a gunshot nearby my accomodation and more recently that kid getting shot but it was most likely a drug related shooting. I don't think Radford should be included with Medows and St Annes.

I presume its mostly the residential areas and not the hyson green area where there are so many people about all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending