The Student Room Group

Biology then law

I'm going to apply for biology at university or possibly zoology. After that I was hoping on doing a law conversion course. I know I could study law now, but I really enjoy biology and I understand it really well. But I cant imagine being a 'bench' scientist or working in a analytical setting. I am pretty confused, I know I want to apply for biology, but everyone keeps telling me that I need to be realistic and really just stick with biology forever. Any help?
Reply 1
Of course you can do law conversion afterwards in fact doing a bio degree opens up extra areas of law such as patent law which only those with a relevant scientific background can be involved in btw I'm not saying you have to go into it. Also on my bio course (york) around 40% of graduates go into a completely unrelated field. Also your feeling on being a researcher/going further with biology may change over the next 3 years so just apply biology/ zoology now and if you're sure you want to convert later then look out for societies and activities (such as mock trials/legal work experience) to point your CV in a legal direction
(edited 13 years ago)
vandiola
I'm going to apply for biology at university or possibly zoology. After that I was hoping on doing a law conversion course. I know I could study law now, but I really enjoy biology and I understand it really well. But I cant imagine being a 'bench' scientist or working in a analytical setting. I am pretty confused, I know I want to apply for biology, but everyone keeps telling me that I need to be realistic and really just stick with biology forever. Any help?

Most certainly possible.

Most Biology undergrads don't become research scientist.

Heck, I know people who even did a PhD and then went on to be tv presenters, scientific publishers, explorers, and yes law as well. You are not defined in a narrow route, its like doing a history degree except you got even more options since you can go into the scientific field (no disrespect to history - it is a very hard subject in its own right).

But it is hard though, so yeah do your reading! And you ll need solid grades at your first degree. Your views may indeed change, mine keeps changing all the time!

Latest

Trending

Trending