The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - do I come clean that I dropped out previously??

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of writing my personal statement to enter (hopefully) Radiography in 2011.

I've just completed a clinical visit in Manchester, with the hospital being affiliated to Salford Uni. I went to uni before, in 1999 to study Radiography and dropped out at the end of the first year due to personal life problems. Without thinking, I told my clinical visit supervisor this and why I now wanted to go back and do Radiography. Maybe this wasn't a wise move! I've received feedback from Salford Uni on my clinical visit and it was very positive however.

Now the question... should I mention I have been to uni before, dropped out and now want to study the subject again? I don't know what my visit supervisor reported back to Salford, she may have mentioned it, she may not but if she has and I don't mention it, that's not going to do me any favours, right?

I'm totally dedicated to succeeding in Radiography this time and I think that will come across. To make matters worse, I'm also applying to the uni I dropped out of but it is a last choice so I was rejected it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry for the essay here lol, hope someone can advise me.

Helen :smile:
meishkablue
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of writing my personal statement to enter (hopefully) Radiography in 2011.

I've just completed a clinical visit in Manchester, with the hospital being affiliated to Salford Uni. I went to uni before, in 1999 to study Radiography and dropped out at the end of the first year due to personal life problems. Without thinking, I told my clinical visit supervisor this and why I now wanted to go back and do Radiography. Maybe this wasn't a wise move! I've received feedback from Salford Uni on my clinical visit and it was very positive however.

Now the question... should I mention I have been to uni before, dropped out and now want to study the subject again? I don't know what my visit supervisor reported back to Salford, she may have mentioned it, she may not but if she has and I don't mention it, that's not going to do me any favours, right?

I'm totally dedicated to succeeding in Radiography this time and I think that will come across. To make matters worse, I'm also applying to the uni I dropped out of but it is a last choice so I was rejected it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sorry for the essay here lol, hope someone can advise me.

Helen :smile:

You have no choice but to declare the university you once attended in the education section of the UCAS application - a glance at the UCAS website will conform this - so you may feel it appropriate to given some measure of explanation in the PS.
Reply 2
You could make it work in your favour if you mentioned it? It was 10 years ago when you first applied, so you could say something like how you realised that perhaps you weren't ready the first time round, but now you are more mature and totally dedicated in getting the degree? You've also gained more life experience in not going to uni when you were younger.
Reply 3
Why not to mention it. It's 10 years later. If you can point the reason also I doubt it will be a problem. I even think that it could be good for you.
you have a legit reason so it's fine.
Reply 5
Good bloke
You have no choice but to declare the university you once attended in the education section of the UCAS application - a glance at the UCAS website will conform this - so you may feel it appropriate to given some measure of explanation in the PS.

Can you link to the confirmation of this on UCAS please? Thanks :smile:

I sent my UCAS off yesterday and my careers advisor has just sent it off to UCAS today and I haven't mentioned being at university before in the education section or my personal statement. :confused: I was only there a few months though and sat no exams and have no qualifications etc. from it. I was pretty sure you only have to declare it where you received or are expected to receive a qualification out of it?

Either way my careers advisor knows I've been to uni before and made no mention of it whatsoever and he's sent it off, so that's a little strange.

If you could link me to where UCAS says this though it'd be much appreciated. I don't want to panic over nothing!
(edited 13 years ago)
puddlove
Can you link to the confirmation of this on UCAS please? Thanks :smile:

I sent my UCAS off yesterday and my careers advisor has just sent it off to UCAS today and I haven't mentioned being at university before in the education section or my personal statement. :confused: I was only there a few months though and sat no exams and have no qualifications etc. from it. I was pretty sure you only have to declare it where you received or are expected to receive a qualification out of it?

Either way my careers advisor knows I've been to uni before and made no mention of it whatsoever and he's sent it off, so that's a little strange.

If you could link me to where UCAS says this though it'd be much appreciated. I don't want to panic over nothing!

I can't imagine why you cannot find it - it is on the very first page I'd expect you to look and is completely clear and explicit with no ambiguity whatever: http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/education/

You must include all schools, colleges and universities that you have attended since the age of 11, even if you withdrew from your course.
Reply 7
Thanks for all your advices. I've included it on the UCAS form and written the personal statement explaining why I went and quit. At the end of the day, if it goes against me, there's nothing I can do about it, I've got to declare it and better to tell the truth than not. I know I'm more than committed to my course now, just need to make sure they do. Does UCAS do a search on you then when you apply? So they will know already if you were at a uni before anyway. I was unsure of the month I left so I've just guessed, hope that will be okay.

Latest

Trending

Trending