The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Adult Nursing Placements

Hello,

I was just wondering what the placements are like at Oxford Brookes i.e.
are they a nightmare to get to if you dont have a car?
If you have a placement which is far away from the uni campus...does the uni help you find accommodation near there?
Do the unis allow you to keep your room in the Halls of Residence if your away on placement?
Are you put in halls with people doing the same course as you?

Please reply and thank you for reading! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

I do Occupational Therapy, but both are run by the Placement Office which are based in an Office in Marston road.
Everyone is really helpful, and when you get details through of your placement it usually gives contact information to book accommodation
You can keep your halls over placemnt (if you get a placement in Oxford you can live there, if not then you can keep it regardless)
I didn't, but nursing is a longer course, and they aim to put people who are all doinmg long courses together.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Thank you very much :smile: are you refunded for accommodation near your placement that you stay in? Hows your course going? do you have a car? Thanks and sorry about all the questions :smile:
Reply 3
RubyTuesday52
Thank you very much :smile: are you refunded for accommodation near your placement that you stay in? Hows your course going? do you have a car? Thanks and sorry about all the questions :smile:

Yeah, my placement accommodation costs are refunded, because although I am technically meant to pay the first £1.5k because I am funded by London the university pays it for me. I don't know how it works for nursing though.
I don't drive, but my friend who I lived with on placement brought her car.
And my course is going great, just starting up an OTSociety atm which is fun. Especially since I'm Social Sec haha.
Reply 4
Ok Thank you very much :smile: :smile: Glad ur course is going well! going to uni next year so its really good to have lovely people like you to answer my questions :smile:
Reply 5
No problem, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Reply 6
So do you get much of a social life seeing as your on placements alot of the time and how are you finding the workload? Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Oh I definitely have a social life, it's an aspect I'm not really willing to give up on. Some students on my course aren't so much into going out/parties etc, but for me it's partly what Uni is about. I mean of course it's silly to go out and go to bed at 3/4am, when you have lectures and seminars from 9 til 4 or whatever, but for me it's worth it :smile:
Luckily for OT the placements comes in big chunks of continuous work (6 weeks in first year, 10 weeks this year, and 14 weeks next year). So although my clubbing/drinking etc was reduced I still had weekends to drink and went out during the week around London visiting friends etc.
I usually find I'm out about 2/3 times a week, and can balance this with my workload. Sometimes if I'm not up for clubbing I'll just go out for dinner or to the cinema or something. Or even just to the Turf or something. There's plenty to do in Oxford in that sense.

Then again, I am quite a social person. Hence being Social Sec in the OT Soc and stuff like that. I assume it might be a little different for others :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you soo much for answering my questions :smile: :smile: Im gald you get a social life as i was worried due to placements I wouldnt get much of one! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hey only me again :smile: Guessing that you go to the school of health and social care...

can u walk from the main campus- the school of health and social care? and how long does it take?

just planning for the open day in November :smile:

Yep you can :smile:
I live 5 minutes from gipsy lane campus and I leave 30 mins to walk to the campus to make sure I'm there on time.
You can either go down Pullens Lane (which is opposite the main campus) and then turn down Haberton Mead which is after the international school and Cotuit Halls, and on your left. Then follow Haberton Mead - which is a windey residential road. And when you come out you follow the road down and the school is probs 100m or so down on the right.
Or you can do down Headley Way, which is by the white horse pub towards headington. When you hit the roundabout take a left and follow the road down Jack Straws lane. And then the school is on your left :smile:
Reply 11
Reply 12
Hello just me again, thanks for the information you have given me so far :smile: Hope you had a good Christmas.
Just wondering what your accommodation was like in the first year i.e. where you lived and when did u hear back from Oxford Brookes when you applied?

Thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you mean halls accommodation?
I lived in Cheney. It's more expensive, but ensuite, and based in Headington.
Accommodation for those with conditional offers is applied for over the summer, but isn't released until after results day when the university are sure on who is attending. People get very worked up on TSR about not finding out what accommodation they're in - but everyone finds out after results day :biggrin:
Reply 14
Thanks for getting back to me so quickley :smile: yes I did mean halls accommodation thanks :smile: Ok thanks for letting me know..when did u find out that u had a conditional offer?
xxx
Original post by RubyTuesday52
Thanks for getting back to me so quickley :smile: yes I did mean halls accommodation thanks :smile: Ok thanks for letting me know..when did u find out that u had a conditional offer?
xxx

Errrr I can't really remember!
I think it was mid to late January though :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks soo much you're a star :smile: xxx
Reply 17
Hello :smile: just been offered an interview at Oxford Brookes! just thought I would let u know seeing as I have been asking you about oxford brookes for several months! Thanks for all ur answers :smile:
xxxx
Original post by RubyTuesday52
Hello :smile: just been offered an interview at Oxford Brookes! just thought I would let u know seeing as I have been asking you about oxford brookes for several months! Thanks for all ur answers :smile:
xxxx

Aw congratulations!
Best of luck with the interview, and it was no problem at all :smile:
xx
Reply 19
Hey thought I would let you know I got a conditional for Oxford Brookes :biggrin: definately my first choice. Thanks for all ur help :smile:
xxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending