Maths -B (228UMS out of 300)
Physics - B (217 UMS out of 300)
Economics - B (145UMS our of 200)
Biology - D (dropped this one)

My probable A level predictions:
Maths - A
Economics - A
Physics - B

I know those AS grades dont do me any justification. I was very silly in year 12, getting in trouble, attendance not great, missed so many lessons and two weeks before the summer exams I crammed in all the info when revising. This year im serious and looking to resit modules to hopefully get A*AA - AAB.

Heres my diellema..

Now, I enjoy maths, physics & economics equally (maths just about more than the other two) and I have a decision to pursue either of two degrees which is mechanical engineering or economics.

It seems that mechanical engineering is much less competitive than economics hence it being easier to get offers from the top uni's (for example UCL require A*AAe for economics, but for mech they want AABe); and this is a big incentive for me to do mech eng.

On the other hand, I have already written my personal statement for economics and read books like freakonomics etc and havent done much, if anything, on mech. engineering. I feel that I would enjoy both degrees equally and mech. eng can help me into the financial secetary (i want to be an actuary or anything that involves practical problem solving with maths) whereas economics cannot help me into the engineering sector. Do you think I should spend the next month or so (as I want to hand in my application around that time) researching on mech eng to make me look the part in my personal statement or just sticking with the economics ps to make my life easier?

Sorry about the essay:/
Just to sum up, would it be better to graduate with a mech eng degree from a top uni or an economics degree at just a good uni (in terms of job oppurtuinities) seeing as I would enjoy both equally?
economic.
Just to sum up, would it be better to graduate with a mech eng degree from a top uni or an economics degree at just a good uni (in terms of job oppurtuinities) seeing as I would enjoy both equally?

Depends on where you want these opportunities to be.
Reply 2
Smack
Depends on where you want these opportunities to be.

im actually not very sure on the career i want to pursue, all i know is that i want to be able to apply maths to problem solve, i also like writing reports and stuff like that as well....

lol this is the op aswell i had two for my two different personal statements
(edited 13 years ago)
helpme101
im actually not very sure on the career i want to pursue, all i know is that i want to be able to apply maths to problem solve, i also like writing reports and stuff like that as well....

lol this is the op aswell i had two for my two different personal statements

Well you have to think more about what you want to do before you can make proper university choices.

Latest