The Student Room Group

Dropping Out/Gap Year Once Started

I'm a student at St Andrews, and at the moment, I've got very little enthusiasm for my course, and haven't had from day one (I'm a first year). I'm bored of academic study, wasn't enthusiastic about starting it again at university, and now I'm here, enthusiasm hasn't suddenly appeared!

Basically I'm considering dropping out/trying to take a gap year and continue my studies later.

My other option is a job paying £25k first year O.T.E. in Sales, with a realistic progression to £100k by the age of 30 with the company my dad works for.

I feel like if I call my parents to discuss this though, I'll be a bit of a disappointment to them. I've obviously got into a very good university, very good grades, and its just expected that I go on to university. Since being here however, I've had thoughts about dropping out, and I'm just wondering whether this is the right thing for me right now.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should do?
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation as you in that my course doesn't seem like the best, I'm feeling a bit homesick, and I pretty much want to drop out to do work.

That being said, it's only been (I'm guessing) your first couple of weeks in uni? I would really try hard to at least give it a shot, and see how it goes and see if you like it. I've been hearing it's always better to do at least a year of course then take a break, and to be honest, when you count in holidays that amount it's only really only 6 or 7 months. Then that way, you can definitely plan out your gap year if you feel like dropping out instead of making a rash decision.

Don't worry about your parents, at the end of the day you're number one regarding what you do :smile: Do talk to them though, they'll want to hear. I'm sticking with it, aha.
Reply 2
MagicialHat
I'm in the same situation as you in that my course doesn't seem like the best, I'm feeling a bit homesick, and I pretty much want to drop out to do work.

That being said, it's only been (I'm guessing) your first couple of weeks in uni? I would really try hard to at least give it a shot, and see how it goes and see if you like it. I've been hearing it's always better to do at least a year of course then take a break, and to be honest, when you count in holidays that amount it's only really only 6 or 7 months. Then that way, you can definitely plan out your gap year if you feel like dropping out instead of making a rash decision.

Don't worry about your parents, at the end of the day you're number one regarding what you do :smile: Do talk to them though, they'll want to hear. I'm sticking with it, aha.

Thanks for the feedback! I feel like I'm the only one in the same situation!

I've had freshers week, and I'm on week 2 of teaching now. My only concern is that if I do a year and drop out then or take a gap year, if I continue to the end of the year, I'm repeating first year and have a lot of debt! Also, I don't know whether the same opportunities for work would exist.

Did you talk to your parents about it?
Reply 3
my boyfriend did this, it's called 'intercalation' and is quite easy to arrange. see your supervisor and say that you would like to defer a year, or if you feel too awkward telling the department directly i would try contacting student welfare. you can email them, if you look on your university website there should be a contact address available.

it is possible to do this, and people do it a lot! good luck xox

p.s: personally, even if i have a job available in my dad's firm i would still want to get a qualification first. it's a good fall back, if the firm ever went bust or you were fired it would be hard to gain such a job again. a degree is a good fall back and allows you to keep a lot more doors open! xo
Reply 4
You could do what odaidani said if you really want to! I'd say stick it out and see how it goes; who knows you may really love it! You could save yourself going into more debt by finishing your first year and then taking out one year before your second ; using what ohaidani said.

If you really feel that this opportunity is one of a lifetime and that it's worth getting into more debt for/dropping out of university for it then you should go for it, if you feel your heart's into it. Talk to your parents! They'll help you out - after all at the end of the day they're looking out for you and should support you on whatever you decide to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending