The Student Room Group

Degree choice

I started doing mpharm with foundation a year ago. This year I was on a gap year. I have the option of going back Into mpharm. But now I’m thinking to start something new altogether.
I’m thinking to do accounting and finance. Is this a good degree and is it worth worth doing or should I stick to mpharm.
I’m just worried if continue with mpharm and I fail somewhere down the line, at year 2 for example. Then I’ll have to take another gap year and waste more time. And I feel with accounting and finance there’s many more jobs I could go into compared to pharmacy.

Any advice please guys
Original post by Sara_546
I started doing mpharm with foundation a year ago. This year I was on a gap year. I have the option of going back Into mpharm. But now I’m thinking to start something new altogether.
I’m thinking to do accounting and finance. Is this a good degree and is it worth worth doing or should I stick to mpharm.
I’m just worried if continue with mpharm and I fail somewhere down the line, at year 2 for example. Then I’ll have to take another gap year and waste more time. And I feel with accounting and finance there’s many more jobs I could go into compared to pharmacy.

Any advice please guys

I don't understand you timeline. You say, "I started doing mpharm with foundation a year ago." A year ago was September 2022. Assuming you completed the foundation year, then you'll have finished that year around June 2023. Then you say, "This year I was on a gap year." But that the same time you were doing the foundation year. :confused:

Also, why were you on a gap year? Did something go wrong with your studies? Perhaps you started the foundation year of MPharm, dropped out fairly early, and have then called the remainder of that same academic year a "gap" year? If that's the case, why did you drop out? (This is important as it may impact any advice as to whether to return to MPharm or not.)

You say that you worried that you may "fail somewhere down the line" if you continue with MPharm. Why is this a particular concern with that course, and not with Accounting and Finance, which you're thinking of switching too? What was the appear of MPharm in the first please? Do those reasons no longer exist?
Maybe don't go straight for a degree. Look into ACCA or similar commercial accounting qualification. It would give you a good idea of what it might be like. There is a good chance you wont like it and this way you don't burn 10k on something you don't like.
Original post by Sara_546

Any advice please guys

Hi there.

I can say that accounting and finance is a fun, yet challenging degree, so you won't be disappointed there. However, you don't need an accounting and finance degree to work in accounting OR finance. You get there by working towards your professional qualification exams, which an accounting and finance degree can provide some exemptions for.

With that said, I recommend you do a course that you actually think you'll enjoy, and that matches you on a personal level. Don't be afraid to swap courses, as it's never too late, but make sure you know why you're making the decision.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest