The Student Room Group

okayy...bit stuck between radiography and biomedical science?

Well im in year 13, applying to university atm. Up until a few days ive been set on doing biomedical science cos im really interested in the causes of disease etc, but ive realised i dont want to work in a lab for the rest of my life. I want to have contact with people. I've been researching and i come across radiography, and it looked really interesting. Now im not completely sure about this obviously cos ive only just realised what i want to do. But i have a few questions to ask:
1. Is radiography funded by the NHS? if so, how do you go about applying for the NHS busary and is there a deadline?
2. is it treating diseases? cos i know its doing x-rays, etc, etc, im just abit unsure?
3. do you have to go for an interview at the few universities that actually offer radiography?
casiogeek
Well im in year 13, applying to university atm. Up until a few days ive been set on doing biomedical science cos im really interested in the causes of disease etc, but ive realised i dont want to work in a lab for the rest of my life. I want to have contact with people. I've been researching and i come across radiography, and it looked really interesting. Now im not completely sure about this obviously cos ive only just realised what i want to do. But i have a few questions to ask:
1. Is radiography funded by the NHS? if so, how do you go about applying for the NHS busary and is there a deadline?
2. is it treating diseases? cos i know its doing x-rays, etc, etc, im just abit unsure?
3. do you have to go for an interview at the few universities that actually offer radiography?

Hey,

Yes it is funded by NHS who pay your tuition fees and you can also apply for a means-tested bursary. There are two types of radiography: diagnostic and therapeutic. From what I understand, diagnostic involves the use of x-rays, magnetic fields, ultrasound and nuclear medicine to help diagnose disease and injury. Don't think there is much involvement in treating disease although I think they do produce images to assist with things like heart surgery etc. If you are more interested in the treatment side rather than diagnosis then therapeutic radiographers treat cancer patients. Finally, as far as I can tell a very large proportion of the unis insist on interviewing all suitable applicants but don't let that put you off. If you want to do a health care course and work with people you are probably going to have to go for an interview whatever you apply for.

Have a read on NHS careers site or something and that will tell you what you need to know.
Reply 2
It's quite worrying that you're even asking question 2. Radiography is a very vocational course, it isn't something you should be stepping into without doing a whole load of research and getting some work placement experience in first.

All universities will require an interview. There is a high drop-out rate on the course from people who didn't know what they were getting themselves into, and of course they don't need to pay the NHS back for the tuition fees or the Bursary afterwards.

Latest