The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree.
Reply 41
I think CCC would be better, as you still get the people capable of doing very well, and the people who really never were going to do well wouldn't go on the courses.

There's something about CCC - it's seen as a more average grade, but all the same a lot of people don't achieve that.
JohnLight
You have made me realise I am WRONG. I was a bit naive, i was just trying to get acrross the point that there are lots of people who go to university, are not very smart and offer nothing. Yet a minimum entry requirement is clearly not the way to differentiate from a good university candidate to a bad one.

James Handy, your a legend!! Would love to stay and chat but im away out now.

p.s. i still think there are a lot of ret*rds at university, i just cant think of a fair way to get rid of them without affecting potentially good candidates

Tell me about it! :eek3: I'm hoping to stay clear of people like that when I'm at university! It even annoyed me that some people I know complained on facebook after Freshers' about the amount of work they had been set. I was thinking: 'that was kinda in the brochure!!' lol :smile:
I disagree, CCC should be the minimum.
Reply 44
.Ali.
manthew
.Ali.
I think it should be BCC if you're putting a minimum on it, as everyone can make mistakes, plus, people might have mitigating circumstances.

Like being dumb? :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

No, like having a serious illness for 18 months, causing them to only be in sixth form for 6 months of the time. It happened to me during my GCSEs, I was predicted straight As, and then I fell ill, and my doctor thought I'd have to resit the whole two years. I managed to get 8 GCSEs, and 2 As though so I'm pretty proud of myself.

But yeah things like that can happen, and it's no one's fault really.

:facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
jacketpotato
You don't need good A-level grades to succeed on a uni course such as sport science or photography or whatever. Even for academic subjects, a lot of people do badly at A-level but can do very well at uni

Your sig really speaks to me...:smile:
Why do people feel the need to create this thread every couple of months?
Reply 47
JohnLight
A lot of people nowadays with sh** grades go to university for the sake of it and just f*** about.

If you are not able to achieve BBB at A-level (or equivalent) then university is not for you.

Well a C grade is a pass, so perhaps CCC at A-level seems a more realistic minimum. Just because someone gets below BBB doesn't mean they're not intelligent, will mess about at university or just doing a degree for the sake of it. I'm sure there are people who got 'bad' A-levels but excelled at uni, while there were people who got AAA at A-level but failed their first year/get a very low degree classification etc.
So OP you wouldn't have made it then? Are you depressed? Do you have low self esteem?

Or are you trolling with your incorrectly spelt thread title :sexface:
Reply 49
JohnLight
A lot of people nowadays with sh** grades go to university for the sake of it and just f*** about.

If you are not able to achieve BBB at A-level (or equivalent) then university is not for you.

Do you agree??

I only did two and got BB so this theory suits me by and large. :yep:

I mentioned this in another thread, but an acquaintance of mine was accepted into University with an offer of EEEE (there may have been a D in there somewhere) to study Law. What are your thoughts on that?
Reply 50
Aj12
BCC makes more sense I got BBC however I easily did work throughout the year that was closer to AAB. Exams are not everything and a pretty bad way of measuring intelligence

Amen. I've always been considered at least "above average intelligence". While doing my GCSEs I also attended a daily arabic school in the evenings, I didn't do one scrap of revision for any of my exams and I passed them all with at least a B and I passed the arabic school a year early.
I didn't do too well at all in my A-levels; I did consistently well in class, I grasped all the topics easily but because we weren't taught how to check all the boxes in the mark scheme, most people at my college walked away with A-levels 2 grades lower than their predictions. Grade boundaries are always changing and sometimes the exams ask really stupid, vague questions. You can be of below average intelligence, as long as you know what the examiners want to read you can get into a really good university. Exams aren't a true indicator of intelligence, if anything they're just an indicator of who studied the mark schemes the most. I did 3 hours revision for my english exam, I didnt even read one of the books (the 3 hours was spent briefly reading the synopsis and learning quotes for the texts from york notes) and I read the mark schemes, and I pulled my english lit grade from a grade D at AS to a grade B overall. For bio and chem, I revised every single day for a month and a half before the exams. I got constant A grades for bio and grade Cs for chemistry throughout the year, but in the exams I underachieved by 2 grades.
I'm very much looking forward to my university assessments as they don't follow a pissy little mark scheme and I can finally get the grades I deserve.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending