The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lp94
Thanks. How many people were at your group interview? And any idea about the hours? And are you temporary or permanent?

Asda are real flexible and 16 hours will most likely cover just two/three days, you'll get more hours over Christmas also as well. All temps get a chance of getting a contract if they work well so work hard and you never know :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2661
Original post by Dancingyoyo
Asda are real flexible and 16 hours will most likely cover just two/three days, you'll get more hours over Christmas also as well. All temps get a chance of getting a contract if they work well so work hard and you never know :smile:

Okay, thanks. Are you sure that all temps get the chance to become permanent? I've heard elsewhere that they never offer temps permanent positions.

Also, do you know if they tend to hire people who are a little on the quiet side? The idea of a group interview is making me seriously nervous, to the point where I'm considering not bothering.
Original post by lp94
Okay, thanks. Are you sure that all temps get the chance to become permanent? I've heard elsewhere that they never offer temps permanent positions.

Also, do you know if they tend to hire people who are a little on the quiet side? The idea of a group interview is making me seriously nervous, to the point where I'm considering not bothering.

Don't worry about the quiet thing honestly, I was and I am as a person and I got a job easily, it's a good a company and as long as they see you attempting to at least try and get involved with people then that's basically the Main thing.

Not ever single temp will be kept on of course hence the contacts coming up as temp, but those who work and show they're doing there job properly and to a high standard stand the chance of staying on, there is usually a number of vacancies open for people at the end of it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My interview is tomorrow, really nervous, I'm desperate to get this job! Just been into the shop as well and saw a ton of new people (you can tell I probably go in there too much when I recognise the new employees..) so I doubt there's many positions left :s-smilie:

To people already employed though, how long after your magic interview did they ring you to say you'd been successful? Or ring you for a 2nd interview? I'm meant to be away for this weekend until Monday morning, about 2 hours from where I live normally, so obvs it'd wouldn't be easy to get back at short notice. Eek.
Reply 2664
Original post by Dancingyoyo
Don't worry about the quiet thing honestly ...

Okay, great. Thanks so much for your help! :thumbsup:
Original post by ktlaurenroe
My interview is tomorrow, really nervous, I'm desperate to get this job! Just been into the shop as well and saw a ton of new people (you can tell I probably go in there too much when I recognise the new employees..) so I doubt there's many positions left :s-smilie:

To people already employed though, how long after your magic interview did they ring you to say you'd been successful? Or ring you for a 2nd interview? I'm meant to be away for this weekend until Monday morning, about 2 hours from where I live normally, so obvs it'd wouldn't be easy to get back at short notice. Eek.

Hey. :smile:

Not sure if this applies for everyone else but in my interview all we did was create a short advertisement for a product (washing powder) and they basiccly just assess your teamwork and appearance as far as I can gather.

I managed to see the scores they gave me :cool: got B's for pretty much everything (got pissed off when they said I was in my school uniform though)!

They said it'd take a few days to be contacted but I'd already heard back from them 2 hours later via phone!

Hope this helps, best of luck! :wink:
Original post by I.am.bored
Hey. :smile:

Not sure if this applies for everyone else but in my interview all we did was create a short advertisement for a product (washing powder) and they basiccly just assess your teamwork and appearance as far as I can gather.

I managed to see the scores they gave me :cool: got B's for pretty much everything (got pissed off when they said I was in my school uniform though)!

They said it'd take a few days to be contacted but I'd already heard back from them 2 hours later via phone!

Hope this helps, best of luck! :wink:

Ooh that's good, I hope they get back to us that quickly too. I just hope they don't ring me halfway through the weekend asking me to come in or something haha, cause I most likely won't be able to :colondollar: and I'm hoping the fact that I live 5 minutes away will work in my favour cos it means they can just call me in practically any time over the Christmas period, and I'd have no transport problems!

Kind of nervous, but so long as they're judging by teamwork/communication rather than actual quality of advert (or quality of whatever creative task we get!) then I should be alright :tongue:

Thanks! :h:
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Ooh that's good, I hope they get back to us that quickly too. I just hope they don't ring me halfway through the weekend asking me to come in or something haha, cause I most likely won't be able to :colondollar: and I'm hoping the fact that I live 5 minutes away will work in my favour cos it means they can just call me in practically any time over the Christmas period, and I'd have no transport problems!

Kind of nervous, but so long as they're judging by teamwork/communication rather than actual quality of advert (or quality of whatever creative task we get!) then I should be alright :tongue:

Thanks! :h:

Nooo.. our advert was awful, but we showed we had a sense of humour and good teamwork. This interviews more about your personality than anything I think. Just relax!

And plus they're not likely to ring at the weekend anyway! :biggrin:
Original post by elstoleno
Oh thats good then :smile:
I got there as doors were opening so it wasnt too bad, I just didnt get onto the barrier :frown:

Let me know how it goes!

Well it actually went okay but Saturday was a really stressful shift cos they left me alone after about 10 minutes and it was so busy, didn't stop a second. I don't know, I keep worrying about messing up. Like I know you're bound to make mistakes and stuff but I'm worried to make like REALLY big mistakes, probably already have tbh :frown: Had my first really horrible, crazy customer today and when she left everyone behind her in the queue started being all like 'wow are you okay?! Don't worry I'll get her in the car park!' etc and I just started crying haha! I really hope I toughen up and stop stressing so much cos it's making me really tense! Is everyone like this?
Original post by whysoserious
I have been there for 2 years now!
Work just the weekends now coz Im at uni
pay is £6.24 but I I think it may be just under £6 when you first start

Can anyone help me? I'm having a tough time in the George section doing refunds and exchanges!! :frown: was given an instructions sheet but it had mistakes and missed steps out and it has confused me even more

I can do sales okay, and when there is a refund with receipts and tags its not so confusing....my recipe has been ''mark off items on receipt with RF, press refund and enter, scan receipt, press clear then enter, scan returning item, press enter and total''...... if there is more than one item do I just scan the next item straight away and proceed with the same steps ie; scan item, press enter and total or something else?
Also, if there's no tags do I do the same but instead of scanning the tag punch in the number on the item?

The other thing that confuses me is the price overide business....if a customer comes and says ''I want to return this, and I'd like to exchange this for this'' or ''I want to return this, and buy this instead (different item)'' my mind just freezes...information overload :frown:
Not pleased, went for my interview today only to have it rearranged :frown: they're meant to be ringing us to arrange a new session which is a bit rubbish considering I have plans all weekend and won't be able to go in then. I applied to a small shop and the interview was at a larger one - small shop hadn't even told the larger one about it, no one from the smaller one turned up and apparently even the small shop's manager didn't know it was happening! So according to her, the person she THINK arranged it is off sick today... so there was just 10 of us sat there waiting for nothing. I don't feel too hopeful about getting it any more :frown:

If they don't ring back within a day or so, should I ring the recruitment people to ask what's going on? Don't want to pester them or anything but ugh I really need this job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know how long you need to have worked at asda before you can ask for time off?
Reply 2672
Just a quick question for all the people working on the checkouts.

How long did u get for checkout training?

Im just asking as i started a christmas temp job and i got about 10mins, it was all spoken and actually got like 5mins on the tills. Is this what they normally do?
Original post by flyingcat
Does anyone know how long you need to have worked at asda before you can ask for time off?

You can ask as soon as you start, but you're not necessarily going to get paid for your holidays because you won't have earned them yet.
Original post by livelovelaugh6
Well it actually went okay but Saturday was a really stressful shift cos they left me alone after about 10 minutes and it was so busy, didn't stop a second. I don't know, I keep worrying about messing up. Like I know you're bound to make mistakes and stuff but I'm worried to make like REALLY big mistakes, probably already have tbh :frown: Had my first really horrible, crazy customer today and when she left everyone behind her in the queue started being all like 'wow are you okay?! Don't worry I'll get her in the car park!' etc and I just started crying haha! I really hope I toughen up and stop stressing so much cos it's making me really tense! Is everyone like this?

Haha don't worry! You'll always make mistakes and have loopy customers! :') I had one shout at me "less of that face" when after i'd said sorry I turned round and went back to doing my job! :s

You've just got to fight the urge to be sarcastic really ^_^
It'll get easier lol
Original post by elstoleno
Haha don't worry! You'll always make mistakes and have loopy customers! :') I had one shout at me "less of that face" when after i'd said sorry I turned round and went back to doing my job! :s

You've just got to fight the urge to be sarcastic really ^_^
It'll get easier lol

iremeber when this guytook a dump in one of our counter and we colled the cops. it was discusting.
Original post by Pinksoh
Just a quick question for all the people working on the checkouts.

How long did u get for checkout training?

Im just asking as i started a christmas temp job and i got about 10mins, it was all spoken and actually got like 5mins on the tills. Is this what they normally do?

I had about a 15 minute demonstration with a group of 4 others. The lady had some practice items and showed us how to scan them etc.... we were shown the book where the code are for different fruit and veg. Then we were paired up with another colleague who was working on the real checkouts, we were allowed to observe and then encouraged to take over. The colleague never left our side and was there to answer questions or remind us if we forget to do something like check for ID, tags etc.... Spent a few hours on the till. If you are REALLY good they will leave you to work independently but I am sure if you request them to stay they will. Don't worry!! I'm pretty slow and found checkouts quite simple, just remember to ask for ID and have the code-book at hand for all the codes.......
Reply 2677
Original post by love2013xx
I had about a 15 minute demonstration with a group of 4 others. The lady had some practice items and showed us how to scan them etc.... we were shown the book where the code are for different fruit and veg. Then we were paired up with another colleague who was working on the real checkouts, we were allowed to observe and then encouraged to take over. The colleague never left our side and was there to answer questions or remind us if we forget to do something like check for ID, tags etc.... Spent a few hours on the till. If you are REALLY good they will leave you to work independently but I am sure if you request them to stay they will. Don't worry!! I'm pretty slow and found checkouts quite simple, just remember to ask for ID and have the code-book at hand for all the codes.......

I start as a George sales/shop floor assistant in an Asda Living Store today. However, at my induction I had no training, and I haven't a clue what to do (aside from chat to customers!) any help?:frown: Also, what happens if you need the loo? Can you go if it's not too busy, and what if you need a drink really badly? :s-smilie:
Original post by Clove
I start as a George sales/shop floor assistant in an Asda Living Store today. However, at my induction I had no training, and I haven't a clue what to do (aside from chat to customers!) any help?:frown: Also, what happens if you need the loo? Can you go if it's not too busy, and what if you need a drink really badly? :s-smilie:

Hey, I'm really new at George too! Today is my 4th day..... at some point they may decide to till-train you, otherwise what you want to be doing is just walking around the shop floor and ''rumbling'' --> picking clothes up off the floor and putting them back where they belong, keeping up good shop floor appearance and presentation. You may need you card activated by security in case a customer asks you to check if something is in stock, in which case you'll go back and have a look around and try and find it. You'll need to become familiar with sizing - fairly easy, all you do is put clothes on rails from smallest to largest size.... You'll also want to familiarise yourself with the stock and the different hangers (childrens, mens, womens, babies...)
As for toilet, I recommend you whizzing off before the start of your shift and on breaks. The number of hours you do will determine what kind of breaks you get. I do 8 hours, so I get one 30 minute break and 1 15 minute break during the shift. I recommend you ask someone anything you are not sure about :smile: the same applies for thirst.
Hope this helps!
Reply 2679
I started checkouts a few days ago... think I'm getting the hang of things...but I do get flustered! Like yesterday after a difficult customer I accidentally closed the cash drawer before giving change :frown:

Got a few questions if anyone knows the answers....

-Gift cards! I know how to take money off a gift card (type in amount of money you want to take off, press gift card, and swipe) but how do I put money on?? and what about when people want to buy a new gift card?

-Phone top ups - how do I do these? I know there are different ways, some people have cards they want top up to be put on, and some just want top up and I have to print...i called a supervisor for help yesterday and have forgotten what they did!

-colleague discounts - do I just click colleague discount and then swipe?

-what's the deal with reducing items? I had a lady wanting some fruit reduced because it was going off, I didn't know if I could do this but the colleague on the checkout infront said yeah just reduce it to 99p. can I do this? I thought it'd mess up records or something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending