The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Working at Asda has really messed me up.
Straight after I finished my shift last week I was in WHSmiths and some random lady came up to me and asked if I knew where the printer cartridges were.
I honestly said:

"No I'm sorry I don't, but I'll just go and get a colleague who can help you"

:facepalm:
Reply 381
Does anyone have an idea about what to do? I've worked at Asda for a year now, both at home and at uni. I just called my the manager at my home store asking if it was possible to go back to the store over the summer and she said there weren't any hours at the moment and didn't know if there would be. :frown: How could I go about getting a job on another department? Should I call the people manager? I don't want to go through the official applications because I don't think my current manager would give me a good reference. :frown: Or there are jobs listed in other stores on their website, should I try and apply for one of them as an external applicant? I don't want to leave Asda and have to look for another job. :frown:
Original post by deadwing
Does anyone have an idea about what to do? I've worked at Asda for a year now, both at home and at uni. I just called my the manager at my home store asking if it was possible to go back to the store over the summer and she said there weren't any hours at the moment and didn't know if there would be. :frown: How could I go about getting a job on another department? Should I call the people manager? I don't want to go through the official applications because I don't think my current manager would give me a good reference. :frown: Or there are jobs listed in other stores on their website, should I try and apply for one of them as an external applicant? I don't want to leave Asda and have to look for another job. :frown:

I'd ring the people manager and /or the other department managers. Surely if you worked there you'd have at least seen them around and if you're fully trained they should be happy to give you any overtime that's available.
Reply 383
Original post by MHorman
I'd ring the people manager and /or the other department managers. Surely if you worked there you'd have at least seen them around and if you're fully trained they should be happy to give you any overtime that's available.

I don't know any other managers. I called the people manager before about hours over Easter and she didn't seem too positive. I don't think it helped that she had no idea who I am. I'll try calling her again though, thanks. It feels pretty hopeless though. :frown: Thanks for the advice.
I don't know any other managers. I called the people manager before about hours over Easter and she didn't seem too positive. I don't think it helped that she had no idea who I am. I'll try calling her again though, thanks. It feels pretty hopeless though. :frown: Thanks for the advice.

Human resources?
Reply 385
Original post by should be revising
Working at Asda has really messed me up.
Straight after I finished my shift last week I was in WHSmiths and some random lady came up to me and asked if I knew where the printer cartridges were.
I honestly said:

"No I'm sorry I don't, but I'll just go and get a colleague who can help you"

:facepalm:

Soon after I started in Asda I popped into B&Q for some light bulbs. It was some weird fancy halogen bulb and I was studying the shelfs for the right one..

Just at that a guy came up to me and launched into a whole spiel about flourescent lights and what he needed...

My reply was "Sorry I don't know"...

That surprised him as then he said "You don't know?!" with a total face on...

At that point he realised I had black and green, not black and orange on... :biggrin:
Reply 386
Original post by Jessikar
Human resources?

Isn't that what the people manager does? :confused:
I've got my induction on Thursday, but they said it would be from 10 til 5. How can an induction take 7 hours? :s-smilie:
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
I've got my induction on Thursday, but they said it would be from 10 til 5. How can an induction take 7 hours? :s-smilie:

My induction took 2 days at 8 hours a day...

It's a lot of sitting around watching videos then signing stuff then being talked to a lot then being shown how to stack a shelf and if over 18 a quick demo of how the tills work...

It's all the legal crap they have to go through that takes hours and hours... You get paid for it though so it's all good...
Original post by MHorman
My induction took 2 days at 8 hours a day...

It's a lot of sitting around watching videos then signing stuff then being talked to a lot then being shown how to stack a shelf and if over 18 a quick demo of how the tills work...

It's all the legal crap they have to go through that takes hours and hours... You get paid for it though so it's all good...

Ah OK, thanks. I was hoping it was just an estimate and would be finished earlier than that because I've something on in a different town at 6.15, and if I can't leave Asda until 5 I'll be late for my other thing. Oh well, as you said at least I'll get paid for it.
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Ah OK, thanks. I was hoping it was just an estimate and would be finished earlier than that because I've something on in a different town at 6.15, and if I can't leave Asda until 5 I'll be late for my other thing. Oh well, as you said at least I'll get paid for it.

How long after your interview was your induction?
Yes i have a question;

What went wrong in your life?
How long after your interview was your induction?

It'll be a week.

If your seasonal they have to give you hours, be they on your department or another, we are having a refit so I ended up on checkouts (as I am counters and we had no counter) but that didnt go well so I spoke to a one of the senior managers and he sorted me out with some shifts on various departments .

Failing that phone and ask to speak to checkouts , explain your situation, they always have overtime :smile:
Reply 394
Hi guys, got a group interview for a small ASDA store, i think they're called ASDA Essentials :s not sure.
Just wondering 2 things; 1 - What to wear, would a blouse and black 'work' trousers be too formal?
and 2 - Should I mention that I'm going to uni in September? A lot of jobs I've applied for have looked at that as a disadvantage of employing me, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to keep the job up in uni because its not near where I'll be living. But I've read that sometimes they can be understanding and offer transfers? I really need a job at the moment and people I know/family have said I shouldn't tell them about uni to ensure it doesn't put them off but I don't know...?
Any help would be great! :smile:
Reply 395
Original post by huntthehaunted
If your seasonal they have to give you hours, be they on your department or another, we are having a refit so I ended up on checkouts (as I am counters and we had no counter) but that didnt go well so I spoke to a one of the senior managers and he sorted me out with some shifts on various departments .

Failing that phone and ask to speak to checkouts , explain your situation, they always have overtime :smile:

Thanks, I think I'm still classed as seasonal.

Going to call personnel tomorrow, if not I might try checkouts. I've not used Asda tills before though.
Original post by terri123

Original post by terri123
Hi guys, got a group interview for a small ASDA store, i think they're called ASDA Essentials :s not sure.
Just wondering 2 things; 1 - What to wear, would a blouse and black 'work' trousers be too formal?
and 2 - Should I mention that I'm going to uni in September? A lot of jobs I've applied for have looked at that as a disadvantage of employing me, and I'm not sure that I'd be able to keep the job up in uni because its not near where I'll be living. But I've read that sometimes they can be understanding and offer transfers? I really need a job at the moment and people I know/family have said I shouldn't tell them about uni to ensure it doesn't put them off but I don't know...?
Any help would be great! :smile:

Definitely not too formal; not possible in an interview IMHO. Normally they wouldn't transfer you til after probation period BUT a lot of colleagues work in two branches as they are in the same boat as you (as long as there's a job there, they won't create one for you) good luuuuuck.

Anyone coming up for interview next week to Harlow branch???? Please, we need some good uns!!
Well, finally got the familiar email of "sorry but you were not selected this time... high number of applicants.. blah blah blah''. Pisstake.
I had my asda magic today. During the get to know you session, i was really chatty to my partner etc, discussed all sorts of things relating to the questions but when my partner introduced me, he didn't say alot and got stuff i said wrong!! Do you think the observers were watching our conversation or just that part?? It makes me look bad!!
I had my asda magic today. During the get to know you session, i was really chatty to my partner etc, discussed all sorts of things relating to the questions but when my partner introduced me, he didn't say alot and got stuff i said wrong!! Do you think the observers were watching our conversation or just that part?? It makes me look bad!!

Don't worry about it. I'm sure the observers could see that you were chatting to him loads and could hear what you were saying, and so when they saw your partner say hardly anything when introducing you, it's him it will reflect negatively on, not you. Sounds like you were doing everything right. At my interview the guy read out to me what the observers had written about me, so I know from that that they're looking for how you get on with the other people and also present yourself when speaking to the whole group. So the guy hardly saying anything shouldn't get marked that highly (unless he did OK or well in the other parts), and since you say you said loads, you should be all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending