The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roving Fish
My new store doesn't have an organised system for overtime!

I went in and got my entry card and a few other things sorted... Then they just started throwing hours at me.

Gone from 3 hours to 24 hours in a moment!

Story of my life here. :tongue: Enjoy your extra money!

I've started a diet so naturally I had a **** tonne of customers buying custard slices today. Holby was not amused.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Story of my life here. :tongue: Enjoy your extra money!

I've started a diet so naturally I had a **** tonne of customers buying custard slices today. Holby was not amused.

I've gone back to healthy eating. Makes me angry, luckily I'll be on selfscan a lot in my new store. Being *gasp* Customer Service Desk trained soon! :O
I've gone back to healthy eating. Makes me angry, luckily I'll be on selfscan a lot in my new store. Being *gasp* Customer Service Desk trained soon! :O

Ooooh, CSD looks fun! Enjoy. :h:
Ohh how I love when customers put complaints in about me.
Today when I was on self scan, I had a customer who had a pack of eggs where one had broken. She came over to me, told me and then said 'don't worry about replacing them', so naturally I thanked her for passing them to me, and took the eggs over to a till to bag them for waste.
She left and I didn't think anything else of it. Next thing I know, my section leader came over and told me there was a complaint in the book about me. Turns out it was the same women who told them 'I was the most unhelpful colleague, whose "princess" body language and strut was completely rude and unnecessary. Also I hadn't spoke or acknowledged her and that I hadn't offered to replace her eggs'.
Well why would I offer to replace them, when you've already told me not to worry about replacing them?! And as for the princess body language, A - I wasn't going to get myself covered in egg if I could avoid it, and B - I wear heels to work, that's just how I walk!
I just don't understand some people. Did give me, my section leader and other colleagues something to laugh about this evening though.
Being *gasp* Customer Service Desk trained soon! :O

CSD is actually so much better than I first thought it would be.
Time goes so quick, it doesn't become repetitive and actually, quite surprising customers give you far less s*** there than they do on normal checkouts/self scan.
Original post by quebecio
Hello Eveyrone!

I lived in B'ham for one year 2 years ago and i tried many times to get job in Asda but then i had to go back home and now i want to come back to the UK.Is there chance for a foreigner ? Somewhere I heard that Asda wants just people borned in the UK.Btw anybody from West Midlands ? :biggrin:

Yes of course, there's just as much a chance for you as anybody else! It's illegal to discriminate against someone just because they were not born in the UK. You should apply.
Hi everyone!

Got my Asda best welcome induction today. Going to be working in the produce/groceries department apparently. Anyone else blessed to be in the same department? :tongue:
I got given two name tags and I've somehow miss placed one and I can't find it.. will they just give me a new one straight away or will they moan?
They'll give you another one. Might moan but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I work as a dispenser for Asda and it's a good role, however we don't get paid any more than the rest of the staff which leads to a high turnover of dispensers as once they are qualified they leave for better paid jobs elsewhere! The answer? Pay a premium for qualified staff!!
Original post by Lance Jack
Hi everyone!

Got my Asda best welcome induction today. Going to be working in the produce/groceries department apparently. Anyone else blessed to be in the same department? :tongue:

Hi there,

I work on Produce, if you go to the gym/work out, scratch your membership, you won't need it anymore :wink:
Original post by warpsmith
Hi there,

I work on Produce, if you go to the gym/work out, scratch your membership, you won't need it anymore :wink:

Hahahahaha! I was actually thinking that the other day, that hopefully I'll have enough energy after work to go to the gym. Apparently not! Is it seriously that bad? :tongue: I start tomorrow. Luckily I'm part-time. 20 hours a week?
Reply 4092
How long do you have to work there before you can take holiday?
Hahahahaha! I was actually thinking that the other day, that hopefully I'll have enough energy after work to go to the gym. Apparently not! Is it seriously that bad? :tongue: I start tomorrow. Luckily I'm part-time. 20 hours a week?

I guess it depends on the size of the store and which shift you get, if it's a superstore and you're on earlies, you'll have the delivery to contend with, which almost certainly won't be finished, so you'll need to get that done, have the dept ready for 9am, that's READY, crates and cr*p cleared off, aisles rumbled, a "finish" put on the dept so it's picture perfect.

Then the back-ups will need dollying down, that means all the overs from the delivery separated out onto two items max per dolly, then the overs from the previous day top-loaded onto those so that everything is rotated correctly by date.

IIRC, a crate of carrots for example weighs 16kg, thats two and a half stone in old money! So yeah, it's damned hard work :biggrin:

I'll give you a tip though, recall in the induction when they showed you how to lift stuff correctly? "Best foot forward" and all that? Well that is your lifesaver, nearly everyone on our dept, myself included suffers from bad backs.
I guess it depends on the size of the store and which shift you get, if it's a superstore and you're on earlies, you'll have the delivery to contend with, which almost certainly won't be finished, so you'll need to get that done, have the dept ready for 9am, that's READY, crates and cr*p cleared off, aisles rumbled, a "finish" put on the dept so it's picture perfect.

Then the back-ups will need dollying down, that means all the overs from the delivery separated out onto two items max per dolly, then the overs from the previous day top-loaded onto those so that everything is rotated correctly by date.

IIRC, a crate of carrots for example weighs 16kg, thats two and a half stone in old money! So yeah, it's damned hard work :biggrin:

I'll give you a tip though, recall in the induction when they showed you how to lift stuff correctly? "Best foot forward" and all that? Well that is your lifesaver, nearly everyone on our dept, myself included suffers from bad backs.

Christ that sounds mental! Yeah I'm at London Park Royal, which is a superstore. I think my contract is evenings 5-10 so thankfully I'll be saved from all that!

I didn't get even get half of the stuff you said but thanks! I was planning doing some night shifts after my last a-level exams which are in like 2 weeks, is that something you wouldn't advice? I'm not scared of hard work, I'd just rather not coming home with a broken back :L

Haha yep we watched those yesterday, that Geordie guy :L Didn't know lifting things could be so technical. Got my first day today! Looking forward to it :smile:
Christ that sounds mental! Yeah I'm at London Park Royal, which is a superstore. I think my contract is evenings 5-10 so thankfully I'll be saved from all that!

I didn't get even get half of the stuff you said but thanks! I was planning doing some night shifts after my last a-level exams which are in like 2 weeks, is that something you wouldn't advice? I'm not scared of hard work, I'd just rather not coming home with a broken back :L

Haha yep we watched those yesterday, that Geordie guy :L Didn't know lifting things could be so technical. Got my first day today! Looking forward to it :smile:

Ahh "lates" then, easiest shift of the day tbh. Re-stocking mainly, which has continued throughout the day, but your shift will be the last before that nights delivery is made, so you'll need to get as much stock out of the back-ups and onto the shelves as possible.

The theory being a substantial part of the delivery will be "overs", and go straight to backup for dollying down, and the dept will be ready in good time the next day.

Regarding Nights - My shifts are kinda split, so 3 times a week I start work at 4am (Don't ask) so I get to work alongside the night team helping with the delivery and getting as much done before the 6 o'clockers show up as possible. It's a good shift to have, especially for some overtime, there's very few punters, and the night managers tend to be a bit more relaxed about things than their daytime counterparts.

That doesn't mean there's any less to do of course, just that it's a bit more pleasurable than during the manic daytime hrs.

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask away about anything else you're curious about, and most of all good luck tonight! :wink:
I had a one-to-one interview at Asda on the 30th of May, but nobody got back to me about it. I just had a look on the website and it says 'Assessment successful - waiting for the right role'. Does this mean that I should hear back from them soon, or that I'm likely to never hear from them again?? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Ahh "lates" then, easiest shift of the day tbh. Re-stocking mainly, which has continued throughout the day, but your shift will be the last before that nights delivery is made, so you'll need to get as much stock out of the back-ups and onto the shelves as possible.

The theory being a substantial part of the delivery will be "overs", and go straight to backup for dollying down, and the dept will be ready in good time the next day.

Regarding Nights - My shifts are kinda split, so 3 times a week I start work at 4am (Don't ask) so I get to work alongside the night team helping with the delivery and getting as much done before the 6 o'clockers show up as possible. It's a good shift to have, especially for some overtime, there's very few punters, and the night managers tend to be a bit more relaxed about things than their daytime counterparts.

That doesn't mean there's any less to do of course, just that it's a bit more pleasurable than during the manic daytime hrs.

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask away about anything else you're curious about, and most of all good luck tonight! :wink:

Yep I'm doing 4 days a week, 5 hour shifts. Couldn't ask for better hours tbh! Hahaha the terms 'dolly' and 'overs' now make sense! :tongue: Quite liked today! Good first day at work. Only thing I find awkward was not knowing where anything was in the store when customers asked. They should have like a 'store plan' to give to employees tbh.

Another fella in our department that had his first day too was like half an hour late LOL. Manager gave him a right grilling and understandably so. Told him its his first and last warning :L

Quite liked today! Good first day at work. Nowhere near as tired as I thought I'd be. Could've hacked another 3 hours really. Haha I met a few nighters at the end, boy were they moody! Yeah that's what I was thinking. No customers around would be very peaceful.

Do you know how managers are generally about store transfers? I'll be off to uni soon and I'd like to transferred to a store near there. Is it possible? I'd still obvs be up to working back here during holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I'm doing 4 days a week, 5 hour shifts. Couldn't ask for better hours tbh! Hahaha the terms 'dolly' and 'overs' now make sense! :tongue: Quite liked today! Good first day at work. Only thing I find awkward was not knowing where anything was in the store when customers asked. They should have like a 'store plan' to give to employees tbh.

Another fella in our department that had his first day too was like half an hour late LOL. Manager gave him a right grilling and understandably so. Told him its his first and last warning :L

Quite liked today! Good first day at work. Nowhere near as tired as I thought I'd be. Could've hacked another 3 hours really. Haha I met a few nighters at the end, boy were they moody! Yeah that's what I was thinking. No customers around would be very peaceful.

Do you know how managers are generally about store transfers? I'll be off to uni soon and I'd like to transferred to a store near there. Is it possible? I'd still obvs be up to working back here during holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you enjoyed it!

Knowing where stuff is in-store is something that will come with experience, a favorite we are asked for all the time on produce is bay leaves, folk associate them with herbs and therefore produce is the first port of call, they're actually on the herbs and spices aisle (dried)

Your own dept is even more frustrating though, you just nicely get it all laid out in your head, then they re-brief it!

Re: store transfers, not sure tbh, though there are a few on here that transfer regularly as I recall, I'm sure someone will be along to advise in due course :smile:
They should have like a 'store plan' to give to employees tbh.

[...]

Hi Lance Jack,

Welcome to Asda! :smile:

I'm sure that you're quickly learning that anything that would be logical is quickly disregarded. I'd love for there to be a program on the computer system to be able to look up products within the store... But alas.

Store transfer: Your trial period will be up by then, so you can transfer to a store in your university city. :smile: This will mean that you will become seasonal in your current store. In 2 months you should ring the store in your uni city and ask if they'd be able to facilitate you, this could be on a different department though. If they say yes then you need to ask personnel for an internal application form and fill it out as well as your line manager.

There's a big emphasis that it's up to you to get things sorted on transfers. Personnel only fax the form over to the other store and transfer your profile - they will not ring the other store or organise stuff for you.

So plan of action for August:
1. Ring other store and speak to PSM (will be one of the new manager titles though) - ask if you can transfer up or if they have any hours to give if you do.
2. If all is okay, ask personnel for an internal application form and fill out then hand to your manager.
3. Ensure that it's been faxed then ring other store's personnel department and confirm they've received it, ask what you need to do next with them (it's different store to store)
4. Keep your manager (section leader nowadays) and personnel team informed at all stages as they like to know things

The closest I can find in the colleague handbook is on Page 54 under Right to Study, it kinda applies to our situation but not at the same time lol. But allowing people to do this is part of Asda's commitment for flexible working. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending