The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RAFLiam
Is the cut off date for this month Friday 17th July? How do the cut offs work? Does it end on Friday 17 23:59:59 or as soon at 00:00 when it first turns 17 July? I work nights so I work across two dates.

Also if I clock off at 05:59, what time do I get paid until? Is it 06:00? Reason I'm asking is because I was discussing it with my Dad and he said at his work, those who clock off at XX:59 only get paid until quarter to (XX:45), and miss out on the 14 minutes they just worked (unless of course they clock off at XX:00.

Only been working here just under a month, and still have a few questions but getting the hang of most of it.

It's based on Asda/Walmart weeks. The new business week starts on Sunday - therefore it's the Saturday before payday that it cuts off. If you were to work overnight, it'd still be classed as the Asda week and thus would be paid.

The cut off for this the 18th and then payday on the 24th. Full list of paydays available on the Green Room (greenroom.asda.com) - Login is your Walmart number and 'benefits' as the password.
Original post by Roving Fish
It's based on Asda/Walmart weeks. The new business week starts on Sunday - therefore it's the Saturday before payday that it cuts off. If you were to work overnight, it'd still be classed as the Asda week and thus would be paid.

The cut off for this the 18th and then payday on the 24th. Full list of paydays available on the Green Room (greenroom.asda.com) - Login is your Walmart number and 'benefits' as the password.

Ah, so I understand that if I work this Saturday on the 18th into Sunday morning I'll be paid for the Saturday shift this month?
Original post by RAFLiam
Ah, so I understand that if I work this Saturday on the 18th into Sunday morning I'll be paid for the Saturday shift this month?

Yes :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Yes :smile:

Nice, thanks for your quick and helpful replies!
Reply 5984
Original post by elts17
I had my asda magic interview today and was wondering how long they take to call/email back to say if i passed or not??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elts17
Can someone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine was about a week but it depends on store
Original post by elts17
Can someone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a phone call the next day but my store was desperate for new starts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by catsRgr8
Oh my God the "save money, live better" jingle where its like OOOOOH OH-OH is genuinely doing my nut in!!!!!!!

I know! No one else understands my frustration about the damn thing. I made a HUGE mistake on Monday because I was busy singing along to a Justin Timberlake song.
Just had the magic interview today at ASDA. For the team task they had us build the most stable tower using balloons haha
Original post by elts17
Can someone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I asked my interviewer about this and she said that it would take 1/2 weeks latest before they got back to us, may depend on your store though
Reply 5990
It took about 4 or 5 days for them to ring me back, it was for seasonal but when I went to the induction I got permanent hours, so i'm not complaining?

Also if anyone can help I had my first shift in produce on Tuesday my lower back and thighs are still aching like hell, it hurts to bend over, am I doing it wrong? Some of the crates are bloody heavy,

cheers
Reply 5991
Original post by oh116
It took about 4 or 5 days for them to ring me back, it was for seasonal but when I went to the induction I got permanent hours, so i'm not complaining?

Also if anyone can help I had my first shift in produce on Tuesday my lower back and thighs are still aching like hell, it hurts to bend over, am I doing it wrong? Some of the crates are bloody heavy,

cheers

Make sure you're lifting the correct way (not using your back). Put one foot forward and lift using your knees.

If the crates are too heavy, you can always lift some of the product out and put before you put it in place.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I know! No one else understands my frustration about the damn thing. I made a HUGE mistake on Monday because I was busy singing along to a Justin Timberlake song.

Oh my God it wasn't sexyback was it hahahah, customer started laughing at me the other day for singing that. Oh asda fm, I quite like it to me honest. Apart from post 7pm when it's all just bad dancey chart songs. Also if you're new don't worry about making mistakes, you will do to start with and we've all been then. If anybody is arsey with you about it that's their problem
Reply 5993
Original post by watp
Make sure you're lifting the correct way (not using your back). Put one foot forward and lift using your knees.

If the crates are too heavy, you can always lift some of the product out and put before you put it in place.

Thanks I'll try remembering that, though sometimes its hard when you have to bend forward especially the crates on the middle shelf

I'm sure i'll get the hang of it :wink:
Just thought I'd share my experience from applying to Asda to eventually working for them! I'll be as brief as possible.

Job hunting for a while shortly after I left school and applied several times to the Asda. Finally got a reply back inviting me to an Asda Magic event. Brought my passport, NI number, birth certificate and sat through a group task with 10 others. This was simply building a tower with balloons in the shape of an animal which represents you (weird but yes!). We then had to find a little about the person next to you and relay that information back to the group. Afterwards we went on a short tour of the store and then had a chance to ask any questions. Filled some questionnaires out upstairs and we all got invited back to an interview the next week.

Interview was simple, really. Manager was very comfortable to speak with and was aware it was my first job, so slightly changed some questions to better accommodate me. Interview went really well and I was told I would receive a phone call within the next 48 hours. 72 hours had passed without a call, so I rang them. They apologized and said they're still reviewing the applications and I'll receive a call in the next 48 hours. Again, no call after 96 hours so I gave them another call (was expecting to be denied at this point). They said somebody should have called me by now to offer me a job. I was then sent some information by post along with a job acceptance form.

First night of work, was slow but at a steady pace. Took me until 06:00 to finish one aisle lol. Was told it's perfectly ok but I should be ultimately looking at to finish that aisle by about 02:00. Few more days in, hit my target of 02:00 and have finished at 01:50 at my fastest time lol. Got the hang of it by now. Received my first wage a week later but managed to get four shifts in before the cut off date, managed to get £286 (actually got paid for four night shifts plus two training days).

They've placed me on a load of different aisles - it's really not that complicated. The hardest part (I use 'hard' for lack of a better word) is spotting the items - a process where you take the product from the pallet or cage and place it down in front of the same product already on the shelf. I'm a month in now and it's really simple. Not particularly enjoyable (stacking shelves can only be so fun) but the people there are great, already ready to lend a helping hand, managers and section leaders are very helpful, aware you're new and will only ask you to do your best. Cycle to and from work, hours are 22:00 - 06:00. Plenty of overtime too. Although I'm only contracted to two nights per week, it really isn't too difficult to get more hours, unless they're pretty short on them. Last week I managed to work six nights (roll on pay day please!) but the week prior I could only get two nights. Was in Wednesday 15 and I'm in this Saturday, Sunday then Wednesday.

A fun experience!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by catsRgr8
Oh my God it wasn't sexyback was it hahahah, customer started laughing at me the other day for singing that. Oh asda fm, I quite like it to me honest. Apart from post 7pm when it's all just bad dancey chart songs. Also if you're new don't worry about making mistakes, you will do to start with and we've all been then. If anybody is arsey with you about it that's their problem

Manager didn't say anything but he did put me down for a shift I told him a week in advance that I couldnt do so I'll have to cancel family plans for Eid just to drag myself to hell. Sorry meant Asda.

Edit
it was cry me a river. the timbaland part came along and I got all :woo:
Ok so it's now been 2 weeks and 1 day since my interview, but I still haven't had a call back to say whether I've been successful. I know it takes a long time as there were 47 people there going for different jobs, but Is it worth calling them again?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Manager didn't say anything but he did put me down for a shift I told him a week in advance that I couldnt do so I'll have to cancel family plans for Eid just to drag myself to hell. Sorry meant Asda.
:

Good to know I'm not the only one that openly calls the wonderful place hell...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HollyHox
Good to know I'm not the only one that openly calls the wonderful place hell...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol yeah everyone else is so happy and I'm like **** no. I am a happy person though but I'm not going to pretend I love Asda more than my mother.
Reply 5999
For those who work at Asda, do they ask for written references from your referees or do they call them? I put down my University as one of them, but they do not provide verbal references. Only written. Will this cause any issue? Or can i change referees should they not be able to contact the ones provided?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending