The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by throwaway848
I work on checkouts and finished at 9:15. So I closed my checkout at just before quarter past but just as I was serving the last customer a woman came up to my till, took down my closing sign, opened my gate and undid the barrier thing and said that the queues at the other checkouts were too long so I needed to serve her (not 'could you serve me quickly please?' - no. she DEMANDED. So damn entitled). She only had a few items but that wasn't the point. I said 'I'm closed now, its the end of my shift' and she said that she highly doubted my shift ended at quarter past the hour. I didn't even bother to respond to that, I just told her she would need to go to another checkout as mine was closed. She said 'I'm not leaving until you serve me'. I said 'ok, but I am' and walked away. I can guarantee she will have made a complaint about me so I'll feel the wrath of my section leaders on Friday lol.

And then you serve her... and then another comes and another one..... when your time is up your time is up - and if Asda is concerned about customer service impact then the onus is on them to have someone come over to replace you at the right time. From a legal perspective if you are challenged then raise these issues with your union representative.
Original post by sleepingsunshine
You do realise that they will only make you go on to departments you are trained on? It wouldn't benefit them as a company to put totally untrained people on self scan could you imagine what could go wrong.

Not to sound mean but if you hate retail and people as much as you mention on this thread why do you work in a supermarket?

And whats to stop them giving people 10 mins half arsed 'training' then leaving them too it? It happens in my store..at least two, if not three people who are on self scans who don't have a clue..another couple of people just stand at the screen tapping at any red light that goes off without checking.
The ones that have no clue are supposed to be there to help (we have 14 self scans/hybrids so meant to be two during busy periods) but they don't check for tags, they don't know how to price override, they don't understand any of the messages that come up on screen, they don't check weight mismatches etc and I usually have to follow them around doing damage control behind them. One will go to an approval, scan their barcode, then walks off and leaves the approve screen on until the customer or I goes over and finishes the job. No matter how often you try and teach them. One used to be a service host until she stepped down, another is a porter they throw on there..

Nowhere else I can work! Don't have any qualifications, I only have experience working in retail (went straight from college into tesco), then went to next, before going to asda 3 years ago. Had a look on a job site last night because I was thinking to myself how much I despise the general public and customers, but all thats around is more retail, support/care workers or jobs that require qualifications I don't have. Believe me, if I could get away from working with people, I would.
Did see one job actually I could have enjoyed doing..meter readings..said must enjoy working alone..heaven..however you need to be physically fit with a a possible fitness test, and needed some kind of qualification for something so thats me out on both counts :frown:
Original post by sleepingsunshine
Not to sound mean but if you hate retail and people as much as you mention on this thread why do you work in a supermarket?

Some people don't have a choice unfortunately
So guys... on Saturday I came in to do my usual 12:15-4 shift on checkouts, but got asked to stay on until 8. As I'm trying to get extra money for Uni I agreed (which I immediately regretted because checkouts are boring af). However for a shift that ended up being 7hours 45 minutes I was apparently only entitled to one 30 minute break? Can anyone tell me whether that's accurate?
Original post by jessdog12
So guys... on Saturday I came in to do my usual 12:15-4 shift on checkouts, but got asked to stay on until 8. As I'm trying to get extra money for Uni I agreed (which I immediately regretted because checkouts are boring af). However for a shift that ended up being 7hours 45 minutes I was apparently only entitled to one 30 minute break? Can anyone tell me whether that's accurate?

Yep thats right..under current/old contracts anyway at least.
Under 4hrs no break.
4-5.75hrs 15 mins paid
6-6.75hrs 20mins paid or 30 mins unpaid depending on contract.
7-7.75hrs 30 mins unpaid
8-8.75hrs a 30 and a 15 min break, and think you get a 30 and two 15 mins for 9hrs and over.

No idea what contract 6 is doing, but all breaks will be unpaid.

When I was in tesco we'd get three half hour unpaid breaks for a 9hr shift!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jessdog12

12-15 - 4 shift - Gotta love the way they have it engineered to avoid give you a break. I'd certainly want to know the reasoning behind a 3.45 shift as opposed to a 4 hour shift
Someone asked where the curry sauce was, but they had an accent and they had really said clothes horse.:frown:
Hi everyone!

I've recently been offered my first job at Asda! However, they have asked for two references, one of which must be from my present/most recent/vocational employment. As this is my first job, I don't have anything to put in there. I was wondering if I should just put a reference from my school anyway (I was going to ask my old head of sixth form). I have already asked someone to write a character reference, so it is just this one i'm unsure of what to do. Did anyone else have this problem?

Many thanks! :smile:
What's the wage you guys get per hour for a normal checkout or department colleague? Want to compare it with sainsburys @ £8 an hour.
Original post by Laurenloops
Hi everyone!

I've recently been offered my first job at Asda! However, they have asked for two references, one of which must be from my present/most recent/vocational employment. As this is my first job, I don't have anything to put in there. I was wondering if I should just put a reference from my school anyway (I was going to ask my old head of sixth form). I have already asked someone to write a character reference, so it is just this one i'm unsure of what to do. Did anyone else have this problem?

Many thanks! :smile:

Common practice is if it is someone's first job for them to supply the employer with 2 character references ... school teacher etc should be fine . Just as long as it's not someone related to you ... aunt uncle etc
Hello all. I have been offered to go to a group magic interview within the next week. I'm thrilled as I just left a job in the first week of September and desperate for money.

However, I'm pregnant and I saw it in the email it said they may make you lift things. I'm only 9 weeks and it's not visible yet, to be honest, I wouldn't want to tell the people I'm interviewing with. Will they make me lift things? :frown: am happy to move stock and help in other ways, but I can't lift heavy bits like huge packs of tins or furniture.
I left my job at Asda 2 weeks ago but I didnt get paid the holiday hours I had remaining lastnight. How do I go about finding out if I can get them? also can I get my contact and my P45 and P60 if I go in store and ask them for them all?
Original post by Hattyxo
Hello all. I have been offered to go to a group magic interview within the next week. I'm thrilled as I just left a job in the first week of September and desperate for money.

However, I'm pregnant and I saw it in the email it said they may make you lift things. I'm only 9 weeks and it's not visible yet, to be honest, I wouldn't want to tell the people I'm interviewing with. Will they make me lift things? :frown: am happy to move stock and help in other ways, but I can't lift heavy bits like huge packs of tins or furniture.

say you have a bad from a mourning muscle pull if they ask you life something heavy (which unlikely imo, tend to leave heavy lifting for guys)
Hi again guys, I have my induction day/best welcome in a few days time. I dressed smart casual for the group and 1-1 interview, however i'm not sure what to wear on this day, i want it to be comfortable as it is a training day, but i'm not sure if i am still meant to be smart casual, or if i can go full casual? What did you guys wear?

Also, what shoes do you recommend wearing every day, i assume they have to be reasonably smart, but comfortable as well due to lots of moving around, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank youu :biggrin:
Heya, so I've applied to Asda but after failing an interview they've put all my other applications on "not successful", now that was a few months ago.

I'm applying to more but there's one that's dated in July (I forgot about this one) and still says "application in progress" lol and I'm just not getting anything back. What's with that?
Hi All :smile:

I attend the ASDA magic event, one-to-one interview and now pleased to say I have a part time job at my local ASDA and been to the induction (Best Welcome) Yesterday.

Anyone know how ASDA gets bank details, references etc... and how long this should take?

Cheers!
Original post by JAZZA007

I attend the ASDA magic event, one-to-one interview and now pleased to say I have a part time job at my local ASDA and been to the induction (Best Welcome) Yesterday.

Anyone know how ASDA gets bank details, references etc... and how long this should take?

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure I had to fill my details in on walmart1, I'm sure they'll tell you how to do this in due course.
Original post by JAZZA007

Cheers!

I got a job there recently. I filled out my bank details on the Walmart one website, i got a letter explaining how to do it at my best welcome day.

For references, i got sent an email asking me to fill i the details of two references. As it was my first job, i used my head of sixth form and got a character reference from someone i know but not too well.

I can't wait for my first ever pay day on Friday 13th :biggrin:
Original post by Laurenloops
I got a job there recently. I filled out my bank details on the Walmart one website, i got a letter explaining how to do it at my best welcome day.

For references, i got sent an email asking me to fill i the details of two references. As it was my first job, i used my head of sixth form and got a character reference from someone i know but not too well.

I can't wait for my first ever pay day on Friday 13th :biggrin:

Great- done that! :smile:

Where do you get payslips and where can I get my Walmart ID Number?

First payday is always great!
Original post by AnnaGlypta
I'm pretty sure I had to fill my details in on walmart1, I'm sure they'll tell you how to do this in due course.

Great- done that!

Where do you get payslips and where can I get my Walmart ID Number?

First payday is always great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending