The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckyyyyy
i think they narrowed it down to around 60 for the group interview and then i presumed theyd narrow it down even further for the one to one but it looked like theyd jut second interviewed everyone! Still hope i get it but there were alot of people wanting checkouts so i'm not too hopeful even tho i smiled the whole time!!! pmsl :biggrin:

Well they may have done most of the trimming down before even the Asda magic even tbh. And you may not get put on checkouts but another role.. it just depends on what you're suited for - that's what the assessments are for.

Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn
Thanks! Adsa Magic went well, I just got a call back! :biggrin: They don't have any dates or times for the interviews yet so just need to wait and see. Is it harder to get through the Magic or the one to one? So excited! :biggrin:

Congrats. I'd say harder for the Magic event - you're around over people so are pretty much competing with them. As I've said before, it almost feels that I was already hired before I even started my interview.

Original post by Becca-9492
Ive Not heard anything yet, so will most probably be next week like you said! And yeah kind of... all that happens in 2nd one is you get asked a few questions about customer service etc, nothing too much to worry about..... :biggrin:

Yep. Bog standard questions. Nothing to worry about.

Original post by Becca_1992
That doesn't sound too bad then if I get asked to go to one :smile:

I hate waiting for them to contact me, if they don't want me I'd rather them just tell me now haha! :rolleyes:

Hahahaha, I remember that feeling! It'll happen soon enough. :smile:
Hi guys, I recently got offered to go to an Asda Magic session which I accepted but the email did not say the location. I have applied for a few different stores so dont know which it is. Does anyone know how I can find out where to go or a contact email/number that will help me?
Original post by georged123
Hi guys, I recently got offered to go to an Asda Magic session which I accepted but the email did not say the location. I have applied for a few different stores so dont know which it is. Does anyone know how I can find out where to go or a contact email/number that will help me?

In the email, there should be a link to book your session. The sessions should each tell you which store/address there are for. :smile:
Original post by AndSparkles
In the email, there should be a link to book your session. The sessions should each tell you which store/address there are for. :smile:

All it says under location in the booking part is "Colleague entrance on level 2.5". Nothing about the store or address.
Reply 864
Hi,

I used to work for ASDA for nearly two years and left a year ago. I had spent about a year and a half at one store before being transferred. I hurt my back at the store I was transferred to and therefore I had to leave. I worked on checkouts as a runner and some admin work at the first store and the second store was a home shopper.

Anyways, I relocated back to my old area and a vacancy had become available on checkouts at the first store I worked at. I applied for it two days ago when it became available through job alerts. I got an email to say that they will get back to me once they have had a look at the application. I should say the vacancy closes on the 8th which is on Monday. Currently my application says 'application under review' I haven't heard back just yet, does everyone's application say this before it moves onto 'application in progress'?

Funny thing is my old manager said to me before I left that I would be back :eek:
Original post by georged123
All it says under location in the booking part is "Colleague entrance on level 2.5". Nothing about the store or address.

Try going into your account on the asda website, and looking at the application you submitted.. the updates on there might help you a bit. If not, just ring some of the stores you submitted to and ask. It's most likely to be the biggest...

And if that fails... which store has it's colleagues entrance on Level 2.5?! :P
Original post by conway!

Original post by conway!
Nothing until you've earned £7475, then it's 20% up until £30k-ish I think.

i received my first wage slip last week and I was taxed around 20%. Is this normal? If not, can I claim it back straightaway?
Almost got a job there... and then blurted out that im going uni this year, cos they only do full time jobs....

WOOPSIES! :/
Reply 868
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
i received my first wage slip last week and I was taxed around 20%. Is this normal? If not, can I claim it back straightaway?

They did that to me too but i had left before I could claim it back so I had to send off a letter to HMRC with my payslip attached to claim. If you're still there there will be a form to fill out and I think you can be reimbursed through your pay bit you'd have to ask :smile:
Original post by Rainbow249
Almost got a job there... and then blurted out that im going uni this year, cos they only do full time jobs....

WOOPSIES! :/

Ermm, no they don't, I'm part time. And if you're going to uni you're able to do something called a store swap and work at both your uni store and home store.
Reply 870
Hi everyone :smile::smile::smile::smile:
this is my 1st post on here. I went to a asda magic session on thursday afternoon, im gonna go through what happened ...
The 1st thing is when u walk into the room lots of members of staff from asdas are there with there clip boards looking at you and writing things down, i.e what ur wearing and how you act as a group.there was over 16 of us and we was split into 2 groups , the 1st task was to get to know the person next to you and then tell the rest of the group. Then after wards it was to watch a video about the asda magic session and what u should expect from the day itself. Also it mentioned about the benefits and discounts you get. Then in our groups we were given a box full of products, 1 person from each group had to then look at a model that i had already been made and then go back to the group n make the same. Its all about team work so dont be shy ( the asda ppl are judging you on this aswell ) . Then after that we had a little wonder around the store to get a feel of it. Then we had to fill form with regards to ur right to work in england and also a short questionaire about what u have done on the shop floor and also what days hours u r available to work. Then a select few of us went for a one 2 one interview with a member of staff, ( not sure why just some of us did this ) ?? . The interview questions where just general questions about customer service... Still quite relaxed tho just like the group exercise.... We where then allowed to go home ... All in all it took just over 2 n a bit hours... But i have just one question .... Looking at all the other posts that have been put on here ... How did everyone find out if they have got the job ??? By email or phone ... And how long did it take before you get a response.................. Any info will be gratefull accepted .... Thanks xxx :smile:
Reply 871
Original post by becca_1992

Original post by becca_1992
erm im not sure about that. The woman who did the group interview was changing all the names in them when i left i think cos there was another group after us :s

how long after asda magic did you get a reply?

And i'm glad to hear you think it went well :d

what store was ur asda magic x
Original post by lisseelou
Hi everyone :smile::smile::smile::smile:
this is my 1st post on here. I went to a asda magic session on thursday afternoon, im gonna go through what happened ...
The 1st thing is when u walk into the room lots of members of staff from asdas are there with there clip boards looking at you and writing things down, i.e what ur wearing and how you act as a group.there was over 16 of us and we was split into 2 groups , the 1st task was to get to know the person next to you and then tell the rest of the group. Then after wards it was to watch a video about the asda magic session and what u should expect from the day itself. Also it mentioned about the benefits and discounts you get. Then in our groups we were given a box full of products, 1 person from each group had to then look at a model that i had already been made and then go back to the group n make the same. Its all about team work so dont be shy ( the asda ppl are judging you on this aswell ) . Then after that we had a little wonder around the store to get a feel of it. Then we had to fill form with regards to ur right to work in england and also a short questionaire about what u have done on the shop floor and also what days hours u r available to work. Then a select few of us went for a one 2 one interview with a member of staff, ( not sure why just some of us did this ) ?? . The interview questions where just general questions about customer service... Still quite relaxed tho just like the group exercise.... We where then allowed to go home ... All in all it took just over 2 n a bit hours... But i have just one question .... Looking at all the other posts that have been put on here ... How did everyone find out if they have got the job ??? By email or phone ... And how long did it take before you get a response.................. Any info will be gratefull accepted .... Thanks xxx :smile:

I've mentioned this in a post before, but for the asda magic session, if get emailed: unsuccessful, phone call: successful.

The one to ones were either the ones they like the most, or just a start on the people and they didn't have enough time to do everyone at the same time.
Original post by Becca_1992
That doesn't sound too bad then if I get asked to go to one :smile:

I hate waiting for them to contact me, if they don't want me I'd rather them just tell me now haha! :rolleyes:

Its just like "Oh what would you do in this situation" etc nothing too bad at all.

Dunno if you get the weekender where you live, but n this weeks, it says theres like 11 jobs going at Thurnscoe, 7 at Goldthorpe n 7 at Wath.... So fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Reply 874
[QUOTE="AndSparkles;33208329"]I've mentioned this in a post before, but for the asda magic session, if get emailed: unsuccessful, phone call: successful.

The one to ones were either the ones they like the most, or just a start on the people and they didn't have enough time to do everyone at the same time.[/QUOTE

WELL I GOT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL THIS AFTERNOON

Thanks very much for attending our recent Asda Magic assessment centre and interview to join our team here at Asda. We were very impressed with your skills and attitude and the great news is that we’d really like to offer you a position.
The not so great news is that unfortunately at the moment we don’t have any vacancies available that match your skills and requirements.

All is not lost though and we hope you’ll bear with us. For the next 6 months, we will keep your details on our system and as soon as a suitable position comes up we’ll contact you directly to discuss it. As you have already attended a Magic assessment centre and been through the interview process, you won’t need to go through this again, we’ll just invite you into the store for a quick chat about the role. Rest assured you’re right at the front of the queue when a new vacancy does come up.

We’re sorry that we haven’t got something for you straight away. Thank you for your interest in Asda we do hope to speak with you soon. If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01472 361381.

Yours sincerely,

Moira Agnes Pembleton
Asda Recruitment Team

DO U THINK THEY WILL STILL KEEP ME ON FILE FOR ANOTHER JOB AVAILABLE ????:confused:
Reply 875
[QUOTE="lisseelou;33214426"]
Original post by AndSparkles
I've mentioned this in a post before, but for the asda magic session, if get emailed: unsuccessful, phone call: successful.

The one to ones were either the ones they like the most, or just a start on the people and they didn't have enough time to do everyone at the same time.[/QUOTE

WELL I GOT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL THIS AFTERNOON

Thanks very much for attending our recent Asda Magic assessment centre and interview to join our team here at Asda. We were very impressed with your skills and attitude and the great news is that we’d really like to offer you a position.
The not so great news is that unfortunately at the moment we don’t have any vacancies available that match your skills and requirements.

All is not lost though and we hope you’ll bear with us. For the next 6 months, we will keep your details on our system and as soon as a suitable position comes up we’ll contact you directly to discuss it. As you have already attended a Magic assessment centre and been through the interview process, you won’t need to go through this again, we’ll just invite you into the store for a quick chat about the role. Rest assured you’re right at the front of the queue when a new vacancy does come up.

We’re sorry that we haven’t got something for you straight away. Thank you for your interest in Asda we do hope to speak with you soon. If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01472 361381.

Yours sincerely,

Moira Agnes Pembleton
Asda Recruitment Team

DO U THINK THEY WILL STILL KEEP ME ON FILE FOR ANOTHER JOB AVAILABLE ????:confused:

Why capitals? and yes, I got that e-mail and was offered a job 2 days later when a cashier left, they genuinely do keep you on record, they don't seem to just stuff your CV into a file and never see it again.
[QUOTE="conway!;33225761"]
Original post by lisseelou

Why capitals? and yes, I got that e-mail and was offered a job 2 days later when a cashier left, they genuinely do keep you on record, they don't seem to just stuff your CV into a file and never see it again.

Was thinking the same thing.

As for keeping on file.. well that's what the email says yes?
I Got The Job :smile:

Nice 21 Hour contract :smile: No start earlier than 10 and no finish later than 5...... and sundays off :smile: :smile:
I Got The Job :smile:

Nice 21 Hour contract :smile: No start earlier than 10 and no finish later than 5...... and sundays off :smile: :smile:

Congrats!!!!

They just rang me to say I got the job too! :biggrin:

I'm so pleased :biggrin:

Are you off to that Moorthorpe Training Centre on Monday?
Its just like "Oh what would you do in this situation" etc nothing too bad at all.

Dunno if you get the weekender where you live, but n this weeks, it says theres like 11 jobs going at Thurnscoe, 7 at Goldthorpe n 7 at Wath.... So fingers crossed! :biggrin:

Btw did you get the job at Goldthorpe?

Can't believe there is only meant to be 7 jobs going and I've got one? I've only got a 6.5 hour contract but I've to fit it in around Uni. Doubt I'll see you unless I do overtime in the day in the summer holidays cos my hours don't start any earlier than 4 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest