The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

I have the same preference for men, a little bit of extra body fat is always better, although I wouldnt say no to a ripped guy.

I do think a lot of female athletes can pull off the six pack though, if you watch the athletics a lot of them pull it off well
I know but let's say we're in a parallel universe in which I'm actually good with girls. :P I'm not sure I'd really want to go for it. I mean, I probably would because it's different but I'd prefer a bit more.

They do look nice though. But I think it'd be a bit odd to be touching her and feel a lot of rock hard muscle. I think that would make me feel ever so slightly gay.
Yeah I get what you mean. It would probably be odd being female and having a six pack for similar reasons
Also, does anyone else find the 'muscle weighs more than fat' response whenever someones trying to shed fat and has hit a plateu frustrating? The seond someone mentions theyve not lost weight one week someone says it must be due to gaining muscle, its doing nothing but mislead the person. Can you imagine if you put on a kg of muscle every time you lost a kg of fat, we'd all be laughing!
Reply 3864
Agreed, when some of my friends (some of them way taller than me) complain about their weight, and I'm like "yeah, I outweigh you by over 10kg, keep talking", and then they say something along the lines of "oh it's just all the muscle you have", it's not really helping. On one hand I wish I was skinnier and fit better into certain type of clothes, but on the other prefer my muscles (and the fat on top) to just being all flab.
But hey, you gotta have something to bitch about.

It would be pretty ****ing awesome, if you could just convert fat straight into muscle :P
Body composition is quite a funny/strange thing though. There's a nice photo of the same girl at same bodyweight or similar but MASSIVELY different.

I know it's nothing amazing as we all lift and know that but still, pretty damn cool.

Get annoyed when I talk to my sister though and she keeps talking about losing more weight. She lost a ton and I keep telling her to just go to the gym and not really worry about the bodyweight just about body composition. Went with me for a while like a year ago whilst she was here but now she's living away and she's lazy. Lazy = bad.
Original post by aivi
I dunno is there any official channel for giving feedback on the bloomsbury gym? If enough people seriously demand for better facilities, it might eventually happen.
Haha yeah the location is a bit unfortunate, wonder who decided that.

It would be awesome if there was a properly equipped gym for a group of london unis, that was relatively central in location. I certainly would be willing to pay more than I'm paying for bloomsbury atm, as long as it wasn't anywhere near crossfit affliate prices.

I know I've sometimes looked at/tried on some bras, and wondered where the hell my actual boobs are suposed to fit, what with all the padding taking more than half of the space.
Bras aren't the most comfortable things (I really don't know how some people sleep in them, it's not like they're gonna somehow help prevent your boobs from sagging or something lol, if you wear them during the night). If only going braless was more normal and acceptable.

I was gonna say "who sleeps in a bra?" but then Miss Lightyear came in and said she does, lol! I don't wear padded bras, ever. I'm really careful choosing them, I always try on the same style in a few different sizes to get the best fit so most of mine are really comfy, apart from a few of them are too big now since I lost body fat. I wouldn't want to go braless in public because a) I'd feel so wobbly and unsupported and b) it looks crap (on me - some people can pull it off!).

Original post by MissLightyear
I sleep in a bra, its more out of habit because I was always too lazy to take it off though. It is more comfy braless but I live with a male dominant family so its awkward. I reckon it would be socially acceptable if people werent so bothered by what other people do tbh, going out without a bra would lead to so many comments and abuse.

EDIT: Michael ... http://www.lovemybubbles.com/

I guess if you share your room with your brother or something, but wearing a bra to bed still seems weird to me! There are 3 males in my family and I never have.

Original post by Michael XYZ
Bloomsbury will always be ****. Half of it is because it's above a ****ing theater.

Bras help but it's a ****ing disappointment when you're gonna have sex and you realise she has no boobs but you thought she did. Personally don't see why you would have wonderbra etc. YES, it does look good in clothes. But when you're bound to have sex isn't the guy gonna realise and be massively disappointed? I know most/all would still go with it but, meh, it'd still suck.

Whereas you can't really fake a nice ass. That's not true, but I suppose it's less likely they're gonna be wearing some padded knickers although they do exist.

I dunno, often in films and on tv people don't take off their bras to have sex. Which is weird. Or they get interrupted and jump out of bed still wearing their underwear lol. I think the wonderbra thing is definitely a confidence thing. When I was in like, year 9, girls who hadn't developed yet would get really picked on by lads (and other girls!) for not having any boobs...

I have the same preference for men, a little bit of extra body fat is always better, although I wouldnt say no to a ripped guy.

I do think a lot of female athletes can pull off the six pack though, if you watch the athletics a lot of them pull it off well

Allyson Felix looks awesome with a six pack IMO.
felix.allyson.jpg

Original post by aivi
Agreed, when some of my friends (some of them way taller than me) complain about their weight, and I'm like "yeah, I outweigh you by over 10kg, keep talking", and then they say something along the lines of "oh it's just all the muscle you have", it's not really helping. On one hand I wish I was skinnier and fit better into certain type of clothes, but on the other prefer my muscles (and the fat on top) to just being all flab.
But hey, you gotta have something to bitch about.

It would be pretty ****ing awesome, if you could just convert fat straight into muscle :P

Yeah loads of people are really shocked when I tell them my weight. I think I do have a bit more muscle than the average person, but I certainly have a lot of fat as well! And aivi, you weigh like 5kg less than me at the same height, so stop complaining :p:
It would be cool to be skinny for a day to be able to wear certain clothes, but I don't actually mind my figure.
Reply 3867
Original post by Becca
I was gonna say "who sleeps in a bra?" but then Miss Lightyear came in and said she does, lol! I don't wear padded bras, ever. I'm really careful choosing them, I always try on the same style in a few different sizes to get the best fit so most of mine are really comfy, apart from a few of them are too big now since I lost body fat. I wouldn't want to go braless in public because a) I'd feel so wobbly and unsupported and b) it looks crap (on me - some people can pull it off!).

Pics, then we can judge :colone:
Reply 3868
I imagine sleeping in a bra would be really uncomfortable, as would walking around without one on, ****ing hurts walking down the stairs.
Original post by Becca

I guess if you share your room with your brother or something, but wearing a bra to bed still seems weird to me! There are 3 males in my family and I never have.

I wasnt very clear but I meant that comment in terms of actually walking around the house without a bra, sleeping braless wouldnt be awkward, i just prefer not to.
I wasnt very clear but I meant that comment in terms of actually walking around the house without a bra, sleeping braless wouldnt be awkward, i just prefer not to.

Ahhhhh I misunderstood :p:
Reply 3871
Managed to get 90kg 3x5 today after failing to complete all reps on Wednesday. Will upload the 2nd set later.
Original post by rlw31
Managed to get 90kg 3x5 today after failing to complete all reps on Wednesday. Will upload the 2nd set later.

PRSOM! That is insanely strong...
Original post by rlw31
I imagine sleeping in a bra would be really uncomfortable, as would walking around without one on, ****ing hurts walking down the stairs.

I guess you have boobs then. All this bra talk is making me feel weird as I always had small boobs to start with and now my body fat is much lower I have even less boobs :frown: (although I still have a bit of a butt left but I'll rather have boobs than a butt :frown:). My bust is quite small to the point that often I go out without wearing a bra (depends on what type of top I am wearing) :frown:.
Original post by rlw31

Squats I presume? Great work. That's the same as my last set of 3x5 :frown:
Reply 3875
Original post by Motorbiker
PRSOM! That is insanely strong...

Thanks

Original post by Chumbaniya
Squats I presume? Great work. That's the same as my last set of 3x5 :frown:

You'll overtake me soon, it always happens.

Original post by Chrisateen
I guess you have boobs then. All this bra talk is making me feel weird as I always had small boobs to start with and now my body fat is much lower I have even less boobs :frown: (although I still have a bit of a butt left but I'll rather have boobs than a butt :frown:). My bust is quite small to the point that often I go out without wearing a bra (depends on what type of top I am wearing) :frown:.

Yeah, having to get smaller bras was depressing and expensive!
Original post by rlw31

Beast! Can't rep you again! How hard was it on a scale of 1-10?
Reply 3877
Original post by Becca
Beast! Can't rep you again! How hard was it on a scale of 1-10?

Um, 6-7. I was slow coming up, but I never felt like I'd fail any of the reps; unlike Wednesday when I didn't feel confident about it at all. As much as I hate hearing people say it, sometimes I thing a lot of it is in the mind. If I managed 87.5kg 3x5 a couple of sessions ago and they weren't too hard, there's no real reason why I'd be incapable of 90kg for at least one set of five. Still having problems keeping my knees the hell out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xja2KkX6U&feature=youtu.be

The guy spotting me is doing Starting Strength!
Easy.
Original post by rlw31
Um, 6-7. I was slow coming up, but I never felt like I'd fail any of the reps; unlike Wednesday when I didn't feel confident about it at all. As much as I hate hearing people say it, sometimes I thing a lot of it is in the mind. If I managed 87.5kg 3x5 a couple of sessions ago and they weren't too hard, there's no real reason why I'd be incapable of 90kg for at least one set of five. Still having problems keeping my knees the hell out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36xja2KkX6U&feature=youtu.be

The guy spotting me is doing Starting Strength!

Those looked easy.

Guy behind you "spotting" looked like he was just checking you out and hoping you'd fail so he'd get to grab...

What's your max ever squat? You'd be able to smash out 100 for a few easily by the looks of that...

Quick Reply

Latest