The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

I get what you mean fran.ha it can be really intimidating walking into a completely male place, with all of them thinking 'err she doesn't fit in here', especially being a really skinny girl, but people are nicer than you expect. A lot of guys are impressed you're even trying to do free weights rather than be a cardio bunny.

I'm not gonna tell you to man up or anything cuz it took me a long time to htfu and go and ask the guys for weight related help, but every little helps, if you feel better doing some at home first do that, until you're comfy enough to go into the weights room.
Original post by fran.ha

Intimidation is quite normal when you start something new. Especially when it's something you're just starting at. But like anything it really does get easier once you've got used to the surroundings, met a few people and mastered the basics :smile:

By all means go at quiet times first. That way you can get the hang of the lifts - befriend the instructors, they should be jerking off at the thought of teaching someone to lift - while not having to worry about people seeing your noob attempts. But once you at least feel comfortable enough to stroll in and start, without asking for help/ advice, don't worry about going at a time when there will be other people there.

I bought my own free weights to use at home as I couldn't afford £40 for the gym but to be honest I just need more weight now and going to the gym will be much easier than trying to buy a new set. Just something to think about :smile:

Even better, have you got a friend who wants to start lifting weights? You could go together and help each other. I found squats a bitch at first as after a bit I lost the strength to get the bar over my head :tongue: And my mum refused to help me. Boo.

Anyway, I've said enough. Good luck with everything :smile: have fun and enjoy.
Reply 782
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Intimidation is quite normal when you start something new. Especially when it's something you're just starting at. But like anything it really does get easier once you've got used to the surroundings, met a few people and mastered the basics :smile:

By all means go at quiet times first. That way you can get the hang of the lifts - befriend the instructors, they should be jerking off at the thought of teaching someone to lift - while not having to worry about people seeing your noob attempts. But once you at least feel comfortable enough to stroll in and start, without asking for help/ advice, don't worry about going at a time when there will be other people there.

I bought my own free weights to use at home as I couldn't afford £40 for the gym but to be honest I just need more weight now and going to the gym will be much easier than trying to buy a new set. Just something to think about :smile:

Even better, have you got a friend who wants to start lifting weights? You could go together and help each other. I found squats a bitch at first as after a bit I lost the strength to get the bar over my head :tongue: And my mum refused to help me. Boo.

Anyway, I've said enough. Good luck with everything :smile: have fun and enjoy.

Thanks, my old housemate does a bit of weight lifting I've been hoping to bump into him in the gym but maybe I could get him to help me out one day.

As for the freeweights I said in another post my housemate has some she says I am welcome to use so that should get me started.

I really doubt anyone is going to be jerking off at the thought of teaching me to lift, more trying to keep the image out of their head (I'm horrendously overweight so it's not really a pleasure to see me bright red and sweaty in leggings :p:)

I think the thing that worries me a lot too is not just that I 'don't really know what I'm doing' re: the actual task fo weightlifting, more than I don't know ANYTHING. I don't know where to sit, I don't know how to put extra weights on, I don't even know what any of the words mean or anything. Literally nothing. Hence why I think I'll hang out here for a few months and try to absorb some knowledge so I might actually know what on earth anything is.
Original post by fran.ha
Thanks for the advice, looks like it'll be 6am starts for me for a while then :frown:

Its more the fear of not knowing actually what to do re: gym etiquette and stuff that worries me. I'll have to spend a while analysing them all to see what they do so I can figure out what to do without looking like a complete idiot :p:

Basically just man up, you're going into a gym, not walking into Auschwitz. Just read up a little bit on different lifts and workouts, watch a few videos of correct technique and just go and do it. I bet if any guy stares at you it's because he's impressed you're actually doing proper exercise, not because he's thinking `LOLZ A GURL DOING WAITS!!!!!111ONE' But most likely no one will give a ****. It really is pointless to avoid the gym because of some irrational paranoia (no offense)
Original post by fran.ha
Thanks, my old housemate does a bit of weight lifting I've been hoping to bump into him in the gym but maybe I could get him to help me out one day.

As for the freeweights I said in another post my housemate has some she says I am welcome to use so that should get me started.

I really doubt anyone is going to be jerking off at the thought of teaching me to lift, more trying to keep the image out of their head (I'm horrendously overweight so it's not really a pleasure to see me bright red and sweaty in leggings :p:)

I think the thing that worries me a lot too is not just that I 'don't really know what I'm doing' re: the actual task fo weightlifting, more than I don't know ANYTHING. I don't know where to sit, I don't know how to put extra weights on, I don't even know what any of the words mean or anything. Literally nothing. Hence why I think I'll hang out here for a few months and try to absorb some knowledge so I might actually know what on earth anything is.

Definitely ask here if you have any questions about words, terminology and how to lift properly :smile: Everyone is really helpful, as you've probably noticed. Read through a few lifting blogs and see if there's anything in them that you could do with explaining.

When I first went to the gym about lifting I grabbed the instructor and pretty much demanded 'Teach me how to lift properly. I'm talking deadlifts, squats, rows and anything else that will be beneficial'. I'm overweight, yet I saw his eyes light up at the thought of sharing his expertise :tongue: He was brilliant too. Taught me something, then left me to practise and popped back to check on me/ correct me. Then at the end he helped me stretch out :smile: bonus!

You could always pop into the gym to be taught the lifts properly before using your friend's?

I really want to start going back to the gym now. Roll on pay day I think :smile:
Reply 785
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Definitely ask here if you have any questions about words, terminology and how to lift properly :smile: Everyone is really helpful, as you've probably noticed. Read through a few lifting blogs and see if there's anything in them that you could do with explaining.

When I first went to the gym about lifting I grabbed the instructor and pretty much demanded 'Teach me how to lift properly. I'm talking deadlifts, squats, rows and anything else that will be beneficial'. I'm overweight, yet I saw his eyes light up at the thought of sharing his expertise :tongue: He was brilliant too. Taught me something, then left me to practise and popped back to check on me/ correct me. Then at the end he helped me stretch out :smile: bonus!

You could always pop into the gym to be taught the lifts properly before using your friend's?

I really want to start going back to the gym now. Roll on pay day I think :smile:

I'm going to have a fitness test and programme soon (somehow it seems a good idea for someone to tell me how unfit and horrible I am, and pay for the privilege :p:) so I'll ask him there if he can help me out on the weights. The only thing is the only guy I've ever seen as an instructor is a skinny guy so lets just hope he does know what he's doing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try and soak up some understanding for a bit before I get a bit more confidence.
Fair play to you girls! am reps 3 qualified (did it out of interest more than anythin) and do a bit of personal trainin with my friends. And the biggest struggle i have is tryin to get girls to realise that weights trainin is key, to a good figure! that and doin weights doesnt mean you will wake up with testicles the next day!
Original post by MHorman
Wake up at like 6:45, instantly nom down 4 wheetabix with milk and an extra pint of whole milk within the first 10 minutes or so.

Leave for gym at like 7:25, get there just after it opens at half past, do my stuff like 45 mins or so and then have post workout snack of Cashew nuts normally. Sometimes a second pint of milk, Then hit my 9am lecture or labs or whatever...:biggrin:

EDIT: Neg repped for answering the questions? Wha?

Wasn't me.

Pos rep for all your troubles :h:
Original post by MattGriff
She is very strong for her height/weight regardless of gender.

Against another lifter (similar level to her standings wise) who is male/the same weight she would get killed.

Lets face it men are just stronger regardless, the strongest woman to ever live as far as we know is Becca Swanston with a 380kg squat, 250kg bench and a 280kg deadlift. We then compete that to Craig Coombs (same kit, same weight category) and see a 460kg squat, 330kg bench press and a 340kg deadlift and the void becomes obvious.

However as you get less women in strength sports you become less aware of the capabilities of the female, I watched Britain’s Strongest woman last year, Gemma Magnusson (Bennis Missus) cleaned and pressed a 100kg Axle, I would bet only a small number on here can perform such a feat, despite being male and some heavier than she.

One thing to consider with Jordie as well is that she is lifetime clean, never touched a performance enhancing chemical and yet she is pulling 180kgs at 10stone, nearly a 3x BW lift.

Just because we are not used to seeing so many of them doesn’t mean they don’t exist, much like men have vastly different strength ranges so do women, but less women encompass the gift compared to men not just in weights but in other sports.

Oh I'm not denying women can be strong, never was but when I try and get across to a woman I'm chatting with (friend/co-worker...even my mum) that she would gain a lot from a simple strength training routine, they balk at it, give me the typical "oh yeah.." and I just stop there meanwhile they go and listen to stupid fairy-tales of "I lost 12 stone!" but what they dont understand is just reducing the calorie intake doesn't work on its own and most women get bored of workouts.

its good to see some women that can lift and luckily there is one woman I know who has taken my advice to heart and is a very selective class that is going to include strength training. Hopefully she will see the benefits for years to come.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fran.ha
I haven't ever actually encountered much staring from males in daily life, actually I don't really recall ever feeling intimidated like I was when I went to the gym. I tend to just scurry into the cardio room which is generally male free and find I have no problems.

In terms of my goals I'm just starting to diet with an aim to losing 3-4 stone, but I'm aware that cardio isn't always brilliant for weight loss so I wanted to mix it in with some weights. I also want to increase my overall upperbody strength (my legs are pretty strong from walking/dance but I can barely even lift a suitcase or anything). I do belly dancing and a bit of pole dancing so I really want to get fit for that (being on stage with a belly like mine is no fun at all).

My housemate has some free weights she said I could borrow so at least I wouldn't have to buy any to get me started.

I'm thinking of going when the gym opens at 6am and asking one of the instructors that hang around to help me out, hopefully no one will be there.

I get stares from gay guys when I am bending over, yes I do catch them but do i give a crap? No!

neither should you but you're a girl so its different but any guy who dislikes a girl for wanting to be strong needs to be told where to go and you'll get to that point one day. :wink:
Original post by Becca
Anyone know any good stretches for lower back muscles (don't know name, but the ones you feel when deadlifting) and glutes?

There's another one I do http://piriformis-syndrome-advice.blogspot.com/2009/02/advanced-piriformis-muscle-and-glute.html but I put my chest onto my knee.
Reply 791
Original post by thepinkpowerranger

Heh, this is the one I do generally. I love it.

I currently have MASSIVE cramps in my lower calves from skiing today. Anyone got any good stretches for this areas, or decent advice for cramp in general?
Original post by Becca

I currently have MASSIVE cramps in my lower calves from skiing today. Anyone got any good stretches for this areas, or decent advice for cramp in general?

Trying eating bananas... the potassium in them helps stop cramping.

Also I've read that foam rollers are good for stretching out muscles ie glutes and lower back, but they're like 20 quid.

Also I've read that foam rollers are good for stretching out muscles ie glutes and lower back, but they're like 20 quid.

Tennis balls are only 50p :smile:.

Original post by Becca

If you're desperate, ice (not directly on skin) 5 mins on/off :smile:
I reckon at least 95% of the men in your average commercial/uni gym are either; a) Just as scared about looking stupid/silly/doing something wrong as females are, or b) Completely clueless and look stupid even though they're not scared of doing so.
Reply 795

Bananas! Got some for brekkie today.

Original post by cowsforsale
Tennis balls are only 50p :smile:.

If you're desperate, ice (not directly on skin) 5 mins on/off :smile:

Definitely making a trip to the sports shop next week for some tennis balls. The pain's eased off a bit now, so I can still ski today by just ignoring it. Woke up with odd knee pain though, hope it ****s off, I'm supposed to be training squats on Mon!

fran.ha
worries

Hey fran!
First of all, you've come to the right thread for support. People here always answer questions really well and I love posting in here because it's a really supportive atmosphere (apart from a few douchebags).

Secondly, I'd say that buying your own weights will be pretty pointless because if you get into training you'll be too good for them after about a month. Definitely borrow your housemate's to learn technique, but you can practice the movement for the 3 main compound lifts (deadlift, bench press and back squats) with a broom or mop!

Thirdly, read the stickies in this forum.

Fourthly check out http://www.stumptuous.com/. It's a weightlifting site for women by women. The technique guides are good and you can see a woman doing all the lifts! Check out the "less thinking, more doing" programme for beginners.

Fifthly (is that a word?), definitely go to the gym early when you're learning, but after that go whenever. As Arturo Banduri said above, once you've got the technique you're miles ahead of most people in the weights section anyway. In my gym, apart from me and my bf there's only about 2 others who squat properly!
Found this pretty awesome video. You can skip the first minute.

Reply 797
Original post by sleekchic
Found this pretty awesome video. You can skip the first minute.

I agree with what the lady says in the beginning, it's so annoying to see skinny (clearly unfit) models on the cover of women's fitness magazines!
I also wonder how many the women in the video have smashed their chin into the bar while doing pull/chin ups. But still, they're in terrific shape, I can barely do one pull up.

I might start training in olympic lifting :colone: we had our weight training as part of our boxing session today, and because someone else was on the squat rack and I'd already worked with the kettlebells, the coach had me just do some mobility work, overhead squats with a stick. Then another coach (certified lifting coach in addition to boxing) just had me try some stuff (I don't think these things have names) like kind of a half way snatch going from having the bar across your back or front to going to a deep squat position with pushing the bar to a overhead position, and he was very pleased with how easily I picked up the technique and offered to coach me a bit. So I can continue doing squats, lunges and deadlifts at my other gym, but have the chance to work properly on stuff like cleans (and getting to drop the weights on the floor, because we have heavy rubber mats at the weights corner in our boxing gym <3)

On another note, I should be getting back to lifting next week after my fight! Maybe I'll finally gather up the courage to go bench (and ask someone to spot). I have no problems with squating and dl, but I know my bench is gonna be bad at the start, and most of the guys there don't seem to do anything but bench and bicep curl.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 798
Original post by Becca
Bananas! Got some for brekkie today.

Definitely making a trip to the sports shop next week for some tennis balls. The pain's eased off a bit now, so I can still ski today by just ignoring it. Woke up with odd knee pain though, hope it ****s off, I'm supposed to be training squats on Mon!

Hey fran!
First of all, you've come to the right thread for support. People here always answer questions really well and I love posting in here because it's a really supportive atmosphere (apart from a few douchebags).

Secondly, I'd say that buying your own weights will be pretty pointless because if you get into training you'll be too good for them after about a month. Definitely borrow your housemate's to learn technique, but you can practice the movement for the 3 main compound lifts (deadlift, bench press and back squats) with a broom or mop!

Thirdly, read the stickies in this forum.

Fourthly check out http://www.stumptuous.com/. It's a weightlifting site for women by women. The technique guides are good and you can see a woman doing all the lifts! Check out the "less thinking, more doing" programme for beginners.

Fifthly (is that a word?), definitely go to the gym early when you're learning, but after that go whenever. As Arturo Banduri said above, once you've got the technique you're miles ahead of most people in the weights section anyway. In my gym, apart from me and my bf there's only about 2 others who squat properly!

Thanks for this post!

I'm going to book in my programme with the gym instructor and tell him I'm interested in weights so hopefully he can show me how things work, and I'm going to practice with my housemates free weights just to get my sued to the movement and what I'm capable of (I have no idea what I'll be able to lift - probably nothing!)
Original post by aivi

On another note, I should be getting back to lifting next week after my fight! Maybe I'll finally gather up the courage to go bench (and ask someone to spot). I have no problems with squating and dl, but I know my bench is gonna be bad at the start, and most of the guys there don't seem to do anything but bench and bicep curl.

Go for it. 99 % of guys there will jump at a chance to share the bench with a girl and spot for you etc. Then they'll happily show off their bench abilities inbetween sets as well and you can pretend to look impressed.

And no worries about having a low bench to start with.

When i first went i managed a 5RM of 30kg and now just over a month later i can do 3 sets of 50kg so it does go up quick.

Quick Reply

Latest