The Student Room Group

Economics and GCSE's

I am currently studying AS levels and plan to apply for economics at university. I know that I will not be applying to university for another year yet, however I am concerned that my GCSE's aren't up to standard for some of the top universities (I got A*A*A*AAAAABCC). I didn't really work at GCSE (bit of a cliche I know) and paid for it as my grades are not as good as they could've been. If it makes any difference, I am studying maths, (will have finished Maths A level when applying) further maths, economics and biology and plan to continue all four to A2. Any advice will be appreciated.

Stefl
Reply 1
Well unless you are confident of an amazing PS then I would not bother with Warwick/LSE/UCL.

Oxford or Cambridge you can try, they have the interview so don't put as much weight on GCSEs to diferentiate candidates than the others.

For the other top 10, I would wait AS results first and see what you are predicted. But if you get high UMS then these should be in your range.
Did you get an A* in your maths GCSE? Some universities have that as a requirement.
Reply 3
the further maths will help a lot with your application with cambridge etc but as posted above lse and places do look at your GCSE and expects a lot of A* im not to sure but i hear nottingham want this a swell not to sure thoe, but proving you get all As i would say you could apply to the majority of universities.
somthing to consider if you were to apply to lse warwick cambridge etx they require an A* in one subject in lse and ucl case it is maths so if i were you getting you get an A* this year it could be very helpful and ease the pressure slightley at A2, as by next year it would not surprise me if other universities follow suit ie oxford etc ask for an A* in a subject.
Reply 4
Original post by Chewmeister
Did you get an A* in your maths GCSE? Some universities have that as a requirement.

Yeah got an A* in maths ofc
Reply 5
Original post by shindaabc
the further maths will help a lot with your application with cambridge etc but as posted above lse and places do look at your GCSE and expects a lot of A* im not to sure but i hear nottingham want this a swell not to sure thoe, but proving you get all As i would say you could apply to the majority of universities.
somthing to consider if you were to apply to lse warwick cambridge etx they require an A* in one subject in lse and ucl case it is maths so if i were you getting you get an A* this year it could be very helpful and ease the pressure slightley at A2, as by next year it would not surprise me if other universities follow suit ie oxford etc ask for an A* in a subject.

I realise this and I will be focusing extremely hard on getting an A* in maths this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending