The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

soas university

Im wondering what is the likelihood i get into SOAS bearing in mind Majority of my gcses were 5s and one 4 . However i would like to study economics and managment but i realised i need a 6 in GCSE maths. I currently do a L3 BTEC business course with no Alevel alongside,however for by BTEC im predicted DDD. If anyone has been in the same position, is there any chance i can get in to a decent uni with these grades.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
I got an offer to SOAS for Law a week ago. Like you, I didn't do too hot in my GCSEs. I really don't think your GCSEs matter too much to anyone who isn't Oxford or LSE. Even if they did, what good is stressing about it now? Relax and wait for the email. Best of luck to you, I hope your application is successful.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Gabjeeto
I got an offer to SOAS for Law a week ago. Like you, I didn't do too hot in my GCSEs. I really don't think your GCSEs matter too much to anyone who isn't Oxford or LSE. Even if they did, what good is stressing about it now? Relax and wait for the email. Best of luck to you, I hope your application is successful.

Hey! Thanks for your kind message. ive been so knocked down by the fact that i needed a 6 in maths- however i do have bit of hope. I think its the fact that economics requires a bit of maths however I am wonderindg did you get a C in GCSE MATHS?
Specified grade requirements for GCSEs (e.g. in English or maths) are normally hard requirements and you will be automatically rejected if you don't meet them and aren't retaking. If you are retaking your offer will probably also have the condition that you meet that GCSE requirement.

Note that economics is necessarily mathematical at degree level and you will be taught A-level Maths and beyond in an accelerated fashion if you didn't do A-level Maths. If you struggle with maths, you should look at courses other than economics.
Original post by Kiarnasmith
Im wondering what is the likelihood i get into SOAS bearing in mind Majority of my gcses were 5s and one 4 . However i would like to study economics and managment but i realised i need a 6 in GCSE maths. I currently do a L3 BTEC business course with no Alevel alongside,however for by BTEC im predicted DDD. If anyone has been in the same position, is there any chance i can get in to a decent uni with these grades.
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, It's worth emailing/calling SOAS directly to find out if you'd still be eligible to take the course or what alternatives they could offer. You could also take a foundational year at SOAS if you don't meet the entry requirements for the course and then study economics and management from the year after. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending