The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamocitoMorales
I don't think you realise the definition or concept of Europe. Geographically speaking, the British Isle are not a part of the European continent. For centuries, Scandanavia was considered to be outside of the Christian European world. If you cannot define something, or state its existence, then you have no pretext in which to comment.

I find it pathetic that Turks are desperate to be European, even when Europeans do not want to associate with you or your people. Europeans do not want Turkey in the EU and extensive opinion polls have shown that.

Your country has always been seperate from Europe, there has always been a religious, cultural and economic divide between us. and I am glad that Turkey will never join the EU. Allowing millions of Turkish Muslims into the EU and Europe is suicide. I shudder at the thought of hundreds of thousands of muslim turks washing up on Britains shores.

We dont consider you European, get that through your head.
Original post by Indigenous Scoti
Your country has always been seperate from Europe, there has always been a religious, cultural and economic divide between us.

Actually, 'Turkey' was a large chunk of Europe for many centuries.

As for religious matters, the Turks originally followed a Pagan religion known as Tengriism. It was only when they moved into Persia and captured Baghdad did they convert to Sunni Islam.

The political battle between Christianity and Islam were in constant struggle throughout the dark ages. It was all about political alliances. The Byzantian Empire which was under threat from the Caliphate tried to convert its Pagan neighbours to the North. The Volga Bulgars converted to Islam, whereas Khan Boris's Bulgars fluctuated between Catholocism and Orthodoxy. My point being that politics determined the outcome of today's religions.

Don't forget, the English weren't always Christian. They, like the Turks, were also Pagans once upon a time. But due to the way things turned out in history, they eventually converted and entered the 'Christian community'.
Reply 102

Don't forget, the English weren't always Christian. They, like the Turks, were also Pagans once upon a time. But due to the way things turned out in history, they eventually converted and entered the 'Christian community'.

As did the rest of Europe. Turkey became Muslim, not Christian and that in itself shows that Turkey has far more incommon with the Middle East than it does with Europe.

Turkey is not compatible with Europe, end of.
Italy xxxxxxxx

sexiest people, most ancient history, best architecture, most charming and beautiful country, most amazing weather, best beaches, friendliest people, they invented pizza

italy is generally just beautiful. It has so much more culture than anywhere in europe. It was like the cultural capital of europe for the past thousand years and more, so no wonder why they have the most amazing architecture. Even their little villages have architecture that can put london to shame.
Spain ftw :wink:
Italy. Well... the good part of it.
Original post by someguy113
In your opinion, and from any criteria you choose.

Economically: Germany

Culture: Italy

Romance: France (Paris)

History: France, England/Britain and most notably Greece and Italy

Beauty: Italy, Spain and Portugal (in terms of humans)

Elegance: England/Britain

Sex, drugs and Rock 'n' Roll: Netherlands

In General: England :cool:

As for religious matters, the Turks originally followed a Pagan religion known as Tengriism. It was only when they moved into Persia and captured Baghdad did they convert to Sunni Islam.

The political battle between Christianity and Islam were in constant struggle throughout the dark ages. It was all about political alliances. The Byzantian Empire which was under threat from the Caliphate tried to convert its Pagan neighbours to the North. The Volga Bulgars converted to Islam, whereas Khan Boris's Bulgars fluctuated between Catholocism and Orthodoxy. My point being that politics determined the outcome of today's religions.

I don't care what the Turks 'originally' followed. The vast, vast majority of Turks are Muslim .............. END OF STORY.

Please correct me if I am wrong ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
UK 1000%
Reply 109
Original post by mare?
Why Belgium?

Their buildings are pretty and the history's interesting.
Reply 110
Norway.
Reply 111

You aren't European and never will be; Turks are entirely 'other' to Europeans. I don't know why you seem so intent on becoming something that you are not.
Original post by Einheri
You aren't European and never will be; Turks are entirely 'other' to Europeans. I don't know why you seem so intent on becoming something that you are not.

I love the way you argue without reason or logic. What, in your opinion (as your argument is based only on opinion) constitutes a European? :curious:

Einheri
Norway.

Norway's not a member of the European Union.
(edited 13 years ago)
GERMANY!
I'll assume you mean continental EU, otherwise the UK would be up there to. :h:
Reply 114
Spain :biggrin:
Reply 115
I love the way you argue without reason or logic. What, in your opinion (as your argument is based only on opinion) constitutes a European? :curious:

Norway's not a member of the European Union.

Someone from a european country. Which turkey isn't.

In b4 "omg but like 3 percent of turkey is in europe!!!!one11!"
Reply 116
Netherlands of course. Apart from the angry muslims getting mad at the dutch for.. well being dutch.
I'd say the UK, but if we're only talking about mainland Europe then i'd say Germany.
Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Norway.

One of them.
UK as a patriot, though objectively I'd say Spain is hard to beat, in culture, landscape, lifestyle.

Obviously Ireland has a certain mystique, and Scandinvia is reutedly a happy place to live.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending