The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - What's the big deal?

I'm not against them at all. I just want to know the reasons why one should apply there? How would it benefit me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why apply to any university? You apply because you like the place and you want to get an education from there.
(1) you get personal guidance from uber academics, rather than just getting lectures and having to learn everything, without any guidance, from books.
(2) you get to walk into any job, evar.
(3) everyone there is clever, so you don't have to be around R tards.

there's 3.

edit: piss off with your negs, I already said i was trollin'
(edited 13 years ago)
People usually apply there because they can, its just another uni with different courses. They may say the level of teaching there is better, but at the end of the day you're going to uni to do the best you can. So its easier to aim for the highest you can i suppose.
Reply 4
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(1) you get personal guidance from uber academics, rather than just getting lectures and having to learn everything, without any guidance, from books.
(2) you get to walk into any job, evar.
(3) everyone there is clever, so you don't have to be around R tards.

there's 3.

So many issues with this answer it's unbelievable.

1. You are expected to self study at every university.

2. If you think that is the case, you are in for a real shock in the future. Psychology degree from Oxbridge is still just as useless as it is from anywhere else if you were to apply for a job in engineering.

3. Some people there will be clever. Some will be there because of their wealth, background and family tree.

I hate TSR because of people like you.
Reply 5
They're excellent unis, why not apply there if you can (as long as you actually like them of course)

Can be cheaper than other unis - (usually) don't pay for rent during the holidays such as christmas and easter, and terms are short. Most colleges also provide accommodation for the whole degree, not just first year like other unis. Also both Cambridge and Oxford have the best bursary system I've seen when applying to unis.

The college system

etc
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by AllUnits
So many issues with this answer it's unbelievable.

1. You are expected to self study at every university.

2. If you think that is the case, you are in for a real shock in the future. Psychology degree from Oxbridge is still just as useless as it is from anywhere else if you were to apply for a job in engineering.

3. Some people there will be clever. Some will be there because of their wealth, background and family tree.

I hate TSR because of people like you.

(1) i'm not saying you don't. but having personal contact with the kind of academics who are writing the books can hardly fail to improve your understanding.

the other two i'm not going to bother arguing because I was kinda trollin. although if you genuinely believe that less talented people get in purely due to background, you're sadly deluded.

and if you hate tsr, one wonders why you're posting.
Reply 7
Original post by chlobofro
I'm not against them at all. I just want to know the reasons why one should apply there? How would it benefit me?

Better job opportunities as it's russell group, prestige because they were the first two universities, also famous people e.g. Isaac Newton went there. Finally most of all which is the most important of all of them is that you have BRAGGING RIGHTS over all your friends. I would have applied there if my GCSE's were better and I'd got an A in biology and chemistry for AS but well I can always apply as a postgrad.

Neg rep for that. I was only being truthful and everything there is right anyway. Just a joke man I wouldn't apply there for just bragging rights I would apply because I like the course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
(1) i'm not saying you don't. but having personal contact with the kind of academics who are writing the books can hardly fail to improve your understanding.

the other two i'm not going to bother arguing because I was kinda trollin. although if you genuinely believe that less talented people get in purely due to background, you're sadly deluded.

and if you hate tsr, one wonders why you're posting.

That happens at other unis too :P At ucl and one of my lecturers has written a few books we're studying :yep: Though maybe you come across it more at Oxbridge? :dontknow:
They have trees, which is useful for...stuff.
i accidentally put "Oxford Brookes" in one of my application forms and heard no reply from an employer. i then emailed them saying i made a mistake and that it should be "Oxford University" and immediately got an interview. that, my son, is why.
Reply 11
Original post by rectumRIMMER
i accidentally put "Oxford Brookes" in one of my application forms and heard no reply from an employer. i then emailed them saying i made a mistake and that it should be "Oxford University" and immediately got an interview. that, my son, is why.

That's a huge difference though. I think OP is talking about Oxbridge compared to other unis higher up the league table (UCL, Imperial etc)
Original post by ily_em
That happens at other unis too :P At ucl and one of my lecturers has written a few books we're studying :yep: Though maybe you come across it more at Oxbridge? :dontknow:

:smile: i've applied to UCL too.

yeah, i know, but the point i was making was the tutorial system. they are the only uni's where you can get personal contact with such people, as far as i know anyway.
just one possible plus point, which seems to be what OP was looking for.
Original post by PhilliChilli
People usually apply there because they can, its just another uni with different courses. They may say the level of teaching there is better, but at the end of the day you're going to uni to do the best you can. So its easier to aim for the highest you can i suppose.

Same here, thats what i thought
Reply 14
You can't 'walk into any job', I know somebody with a modern & medieval languages degree from Cambridge who is currently on jobseekers allowance and looking for work.
Original post by perrytheplatypus
They have trees, which is useful for...stuff.

THIS! Is the only reason I would have liked oxford/Cambridge (the hell is with the mixing on the names?)
Reply 16
Original post by Organ
You can't 'walk into any job', I know somebody with a modern & medieval languages degree from Cambridge who is currently on jobseekers allowance and looking for work.

Can they walk?
Original post by Organ

Because its a bizarre course?
I knew someone who tried both universities (A year in each!) and dropped out of them both. Even though he was exceptionally clever, he couldn't stand the pomp and 'stuckupness' of it all. He also told me far to many people only get in because of their family wealth and background. Which Is just wrong.

He eventually went to manchester lol
Reply 18
Original post by BJack
Can they walk?

Even better, they can sprint.
Original post by AllUnits
Some will be there because of their wealth, background and family tree.

Total bull****, mate.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending