The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

London would be do-able for me (if I still count as a gog-ette?).
I'm in London. Won't be coming though :p:
Original post by cpchem
Snap!

That was a horrific day - Ox to Cam and back, just to deliver a bloody application form. I personally think it might have been MK than made me chuck.

Sorry to hear you also had bad luck on it :frown:

Its interesting how varied peoples' experiences are. It seems to be totally down to luck and individual anatomy. Like altitude sickness.
I know many who don't mind the ride at all and don't experience any travel sickness. My boyfriend even described the journey as 'quite pleasant' :eek:
Then there are people like myself who hate it, and do feel queasy and uncomfortable on the journey but simply can't justify taking the train when we're saving so much money this way. And then extremes such as yourself and Athena who literally can't survive it :s-smilie:

For all its ills, I'm very happy that the service exists, with its prices.
Original post by Craghyrax
Post if you're interested in helping out with this. (Sorry for the hijack)

Yes, of course. My perspective is half a year out of date, though.
Just forgot to go to a free Grad/Fellow buffet in college this evening (with a friend) having specially booked :facepalm: FML!
Oh well. At least my Oxford application is in though, and its no longer interfering with my now disastrously urgent essay.

Original post by Catsmeat
Yes, of course. My perspective is half a year out of date, though.

I reckon that's still better than no Arch & Anther though :dontknow: And thanks!
Just forgot to go to a free Grad/Fellow buffet in college this evening (with a friend) having specially booked :facepalm: FML!
Oh well. At least my Oxford application is in though, and its no longer interfering with my now disastrously urgent essay.

I reckon that's still better than no Arch & Anther though :dontknow: And thanks!

This is true, yes. I've got a good knowledge of how everything operates at the department level, which I doubt will change in the next half century.

That being said, I am retuning to Cambridge for a couple of days in April; partly for work, and partly to exploit the access I belive I still have to the UL ... UCL doesn't prioritise subscribing to the International Journal of Comics Art, for whatever reason (:rolleyes:).
Original post by Catsmeat

That being said, I am retuning to Cambridge for a couple of days in April; partly for work, and partly to exploit the access I belive I still have to the UL ... UCL doesn't prioritise subscribing to the International Journal of Comics Art, for whatever reason (:rolleyes:).

You'll be allowed in as a reader.
Apparently you don't get borrowing rights and another card unless you've passed enough time to have your Cambridge MA :grumble: (tried to register boyfriend recently)

Drop me a message when you come and we can catch up.
Sorry to hear you also had bad luck on it :frown:

Its interesting how varied peoples' experiences are. It seems to be totally down to luck and individual anatomy. Like altitude sickness.
I know many who don't mind the ride at all and don't experience any travel sickness. My boyfriend even described the journey as 'quite pleasant' :eek:
Then there are people like myself who hate it, and do feel queasy and uncomfortable on the journey but simply can't justify taking the train when we're saving so much money this way. And then extremes such as yourself and Athena who literally can't survive it :s-smilie:

For all its ills, I'm very happy that the service exists, with its prices.

Ugh the only transport I get remotely travel-sick on is buses. I avoid having to take the bus as much as I can. Unfortunately when I was living in Birmingham it was the only form of public transport that would get me to work :nn:
Original post by Bekaboo

Potentially. My stats isn't **** hot anymore but I might be able to.

All of the above work for me. Preference for London, because then I could tie it in with seeing the best friend, and potentially sjuthani as well, but if it's the ford I can stay with D and B'ham is pretty easy to get to too.

I could do March 5, probably March 12, April 16? Might be able to shuffle duties to do a different one if none of those work...

Hey, I'll tag along as well if it's in London :smile:
Reply 1189

GOGmeet

Responses suggest London or Birmingham would be best. To summarise preferences so far:

Drogue - London
Boo - London
Adorno - Either
Feef
Athena - Either
Apotoftea - London
Law Queen - London
Becca - B'ham (but didn't want to be counted as not sure if she'll come)
Craghy - Either (but didn't want to be counted as not sure if she'll come)

Seems like London is the best option :smile:

The next question is the date. Boo and Adorno have suggested March 5th, does that work for everyone? If so, seems like it's sorted. If anyone needs a place to stay, they can crash at mine - I have a free bedroom, sofa and floor space.

Lastly, is there anything people want to do? There's the obvious options of doing a picnic in a park or going to a pub or coffee shop, or we could do something a little more cultural. Not sure what on the latter though.

Spoiler

Please quote anyone I've missed :smile:
Original post by Drogue
GOGmeet

Responses suggest London or Birmingham would be best. To summarise preferences so far:

Drogue - London
Boo - London
Adorno - Either
Feef
Athena - Either
Apotoftea - London
Law Queen - London
Becca - B'ham (but didn't want to be counted as not sure if she'll come)
Craghy - Either (but didn't want to be counted as not sure if she'll come)

Seems like London is the best option :smile:

The next question is the date. Boo and Adorno have suggested March 5th, does that work for everyone? If so, seems like it's sorted. If anyone needs a place to stay, they can crash at mine - I have a free bedroom, sofa and floor space.

Lastly, is there anything people want to do? There's the obvious options of doing a picnic in a park or going to a pub or coffee shop, or we could do something a little more cultural. Not sure what on the latter though.

Spoiler

Please quote anyone I've missed :smile:

If it's 5th March I won't be able to come as I have some friends coming to stay on the 6th for a week!

I'll keep an eye on arrangements though just in case and will always be up for future meets!
Reply 1191
Original post by evantej
make me jump on a train

Drogue forgot you on his list. See his post on the previous page for info on the GOGSoc meet...
If it's the 5th I wont be able to come as I'm spending the weekend with a group of Tories (!). Otherwise, if it's London I should be able to. But don't change the date just for me, given that I'm a fairly quiet ex-GOG!
Pub!
Ooooh. I really should post here properly :o: Can probably make anywhere, most weekends are freeish.
Would love to come and finally meet you all, but unfortunately:

- The only holiday from the thesis I can allow myself in March is when I give a research paper at Hull Univeristy (yes, the time pressure is that bad!)
- I can't afford it
- I'll probably be in a coma by then

Maybe next time :frown:
Reply 1196
5th March is fine by me, it means I can escape that boatie overload of Cambridge Lent Bumps!
Reply 1197
5th is potentially manageable, with a preference for London :smile:
I think I might be able to come - although difficult to know this early. But maybe :smile:
Original post by Adorno
Drogue forgot you on his list. See his post on the previous page for info on the GOGSoc meet...

Thanks.

The baby is due sometime at the beginning of March so I cannot confirm, though obviously London would probably be the cheapest and easiest of the three options outlined so far. I have not been to Oxford so I would personally not mind going there.

Latest

Trending

Trending