The Student Room Group

Dexter Society

Scroll to see replies

Just finishing up E11 the penultimate one, and gotta say, Harry was the real Psychopath saying stuff like "now that's the old Dexter".

Oh and love it how Deb came to Dex for dinner.

That is so season 1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Aren't people going to question the whereabouts of Harrison? You know - social services, Astor, Cody, their grandparents etc. With Deb and Dex gone, wouldn't they be jumping on finding where he is to look after him?

Silly ending.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm sad it's ended, I really really enjoyed watching the show. Reckon they shouldn't have bothered with the final scene showing Dexter but that's just me I generally never get deep philosophical points. :tongue:
This week has been sad! First Dexter finished and now Breaking Bad is finishing :frown: but hopefully Breaking Bad will finish with a blast!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red one
The storm was a part of the finale's sense of foreboding and it certainly added to the ambiance of the whole episode. It's a common literary method to use the weather to convey presage. :rolleyes:

I was talking about Elroy’s apparent metaphor: “The storm’s coming buddy, and it’s going to be real tough to find a way out”. Initially I thought they were using a metaphor, but no, it was an actual storm.

Dexter's last kill wasn't Oliver Saxon but rather Debra, in the sense that he was directly responsible for her death and the guilt of it all drove Dexter over the edge so to speak.

I was talking about Deb.

Deb was the first person that he cared for and he ruined her life, he doesn't want that for Harrison and Hannah. It takes a lot of inner strength to have this type of resolve especially when you're a seasoned serial killer - but that's exactly the point. Dexter's overcome his dark passenger and his lust to watch the life fade out of the eye's of his victims was no longer present.

Please don't explain everything to me as though i'm a dimwit. I have Dexter's voice over for that.

The final season of Dexter was all about Deb and Dex and by the 8th season they should be the only two people that matter to you, if that's not the case then you're clearly lost in translation, friend.

As someone has already pointed out, that’s horse crap. These are characters that have been in the show for 96 hours of television and to leave them dangling with unresolved plots and zero exit is deeply unsatisfying. I have a lot of problems with the consistency of Deb and Dex characters, especially in this season, so it’s perhaps unsurprising that I have a lot of problems with the season in general. These faults might be less damaging if the supporting cast did have storylines which were resolved instead of just being walking, talking plot vehicles for Deb and Dex.

As for Harrison, Dexter believes that he's better off with Hannah because Dexter hurts everyone he loves. That's the poetic conclusion of the entire season, a light bulb should probably switch on in your head right now.

I’m just not buying this as an effective poetic conclusion, for a few reasons. Firstly we would have to establish that Dexter desperately wants to be with his child. The 95 previous episodes of Dexter clearly establish that Dexter would rather not be with his child. In fact it was pretty surprising to hear Harrison say that he was going to “miss his dad”, since he’s been raised almost entirely by other people and has probably never seen Dexter for more than 1 hour in any day. You’d think he’d be more likely to miss Jamie. So a few clunky lines such as that and a Dexter sad face at the end just aren’t going to cut it that he’s made the ultimate sacrifice. Secondly for the poetic conclusion to work we have to believe that what Dexter is doing he is doing to protect his child. So I’ll repeat that he’s just let his child go to Argentina with an active serial killer. He sent his child to Argentina with a serial killer.

But I guess if YOU thought that two serial killers could ever live happily ever after then YOU'RE the idiot not the writers.

Making up things I might have thought then attacking me. Good work.

Original post by Arturo Bandini

Hahaha.

My favourite bits of the finale are

1. Dexter's lumberjack face. He must have got the script and thought "I do what????" and that must have helped with that face
2. Likewise with the hurricane, he must have got his script and read "Dexter turns his boat and drives into the hurricane. DRIVES INTO THE HURRICANE?
3. Batista's face when he watches the video of Dexter killing what'shisname with the pen. He has this 'Oh for Christs sake, I can't believe this crap' head in hands look on his face. It beatifully mirrored how I felt throughout the episode.

My alternate ending:

Dexter loads Deb onto the back of the boat. He accelerates a bit to quickly to begin with and Deb slides off the back of the boat. Everyone who is nearby notices. There is silence for a few seconds and everyone is staring at Dexter who has released the throttle and is just drifting, looking back rather guiltily at Debs corpse, bobbing up and down and repeatedly banging its head against a jetty post covered in sea weed. Someone points at Dexter and does the Nelson Munz HAA-HAAAAAA thing and then one by one everyone starts laughing. Doakes is there, he does not find it funny. Dex drives back and when he gets off the boat everyone pats him on the back and has a good laugh.

The End.
(edited 10 years ago)
Seems crappy just to toss her in the water like that :/

Besides how the hell did he survive the ship wreck, being all the way out at sea, with a freakin Hurricane?

The worst bit ever is when Saxon cuts that guy's tongue out and merrily walks in the hospital...... where there's loads of police officers. Why the **** even go there in the first place? :confused:

Bring on Breaking Bad please
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 2ndClass

The worst bit ever is when Saxon cuts that guy's tongue out and merrily walks in the hospital...... where there's loads of police officers. Why the **** even go there in the first place? :confused:

Bring on Breaking Bad please

In Dexter blood spatter analyst television show you too can cut out somebody's tongue without getting blood on your shirt
Original post by Mister Dead
In Dexter blood spatter analyst television show you too can cut out somebody's tongue without getting blood on your shirt

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous tbh. Also when he kills Saxon, I thought he was going to make it look like a suicide, but presumably he would've known there are cameras in that room given that he worked there for an x amount of years, so why not just use a knife instead? :rolleyes:
Guys so excited, I'm going to watch the final episode ever later on tonight.

Went out and bought myself some nice cookie dough ice cream and some beers.

I really hope it's a good ending. The promo at the end of E11 didn't look that promising.
Original post by 2ndClass
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous tbh. Also when he kills Saxon, I thought he was going to make it look like a suicide, but presumably he would've known there are cameras in that room given that he worked there for an x amount of years, so why not just use a knife instead? :rolleyes:

Because he knew there were cameras he had to make it look like self defense... and if he had brought a knife in there with him, it probably wouldn't, you know?
wtf was that with deb.

just no.
Well that ending sucked.

Only thing I can't agree on with you guys is pointing out he left Harrison with a serial killer.

Hannah will in no way harm Harrison. That has been made abundantly clear, so I don't think this point is worth crying about.

What I find deeply unsatisfying is the fact that right at the end they give us hope for Dex, he opts to not kill Saxon in the old psycho hospital because he says he wants to be with Hannah more. Bang. Deb dies because HE KILLS HER, bang he forgets all that and falls back into the "I hurt everyone". Bull****.
Original post by danny111
Well that ending sucked.

Only thing I can't agree on with you guys is pointing out he left Harrison with a serial killer.

Hannah will in no way harm Harrison. That has been made abundantly clear, so I don't think this point is worth crying about.

Dexter didn't leave Harrison because he thought that he would harm Harrison, he left because of the effect it would have on Harrison to grow up with a serial killer as his parent.

That's why it makes no sense.
Reply 1793
Dexter didn't leave Harrison because he thought that he would harm Harrison, he left because of the effect it would have on Harrison to grow up with a serial killer as his parent.

That's why it makes no sense.

Hannah kills for personal gain rather than compulsion though. She's a different breed of killer. I know which type I'd prefer to have raise my kid.
Original post by Kinkerz
Hannah kills for personal gain rather than compulsion though. She's a different breed of killer. I know which type I'd prefer to have raise my kid.

Hannah is a survivor. If anyone will bring up Harrison well it will be her.
Original post by danny111
Hannah is a survivor. If anyone will bring up Harrison well it will be her.

that's some funny **** right there
that's some funny **** right there

Not as much as your post.
Original post by abzy1234
Trust me, Breaking Bad is on another level compared to Dexter. The past seasons of Breaking Bad have been incredible- season 1 was mainly a pilot, so it does feel quite a drag. But trust me, it becomes progressively incredible! :biggrin:

Breaking Bad is no better than some of the earlier seasons of Dexter. Trinity Killer season for one was one of the best season on TV.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
New writers would only be able to improve it so much. The show would never be able reach the highs of season 4 ever again because it is just stale and boring now. It should have ended on season 5 when it was still good. 6 and 7 were very poor and the only reason people are still watching 8 is to see how it all ends.

Disagree, Isaac Sirko was a great plot thread. Probably the second best adversary after Trinity.

Otherwise I agree though, I mean just sending off Cody and Astor and then basically never showing them again just one part of many after season 4 that just didn't add up.

But you guys should realize one thing, the writing has been poor since the start. That gif yea it's funny but it's nothing extraordinary. If you go back in the thread we discussed how ridiculous it was for Dexter to get away with some things and he only did because the writers wrote some total bs or completely ignored something. That one scene were Dexter is disposing of bodies and Miami Metro is there, and then Masuka comes up with some BS story about some sex game gone wrong. Complete trash, things didn't add up but that story miraculously explained everything case closed.
Reply 1799
Original post by Red one
Dexter's overcome his dark passenger and his lust to watch the life fade out of the eye's of his victims was no longer present.

He moved from Sunny Florida to presumably, the cloudy, dark northwest. He left his Sunny Apartment to live in a bleak and basic dark cabin. With all connections gone, Dexter is now fully embracing his dark passenger. The one time he decided not to kill someone led to the death of the most important person in his life, Deb, a mistake he will never make again.

The conversation between Dex and Deb about the shadows/monsters in the room were kind of foreshadowing, too. Dex has always tried to protect Deb from the monsters and shadows. The one time he doesn't kill a monster, it kills Deb.

From that, one could only assume that Dex's remaining life will be dedicated to removing this world of the monsters hiding in the shadows.

-Rain man

Quick Reply

Latest