The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They sound fine.
Probably not, and maybe. I'm pretty skeptical about RE being considered "rigorous" enough but you might be OK with Arabic, unless it's your native language, which judging from the Syrian flag on your post it might be.

The safe, unquestionably "rigorous" academic choices:
- Maths, Chemistry, Biology as already stated
- Further Maths
- Physics
- English Lit
- History
- Politics
- Economics
- French/German/Spanish
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
No and no.

- Further Maths
- Physics
- English Lit
- History
- Politics
- Economics
- French/German/Spanish

wht about english language?

and if im taking bio chem andmaths can bio for example be my 3rd option? and maths be 2nd?
Original post by MaDeenThenMaLife
wht about english language?

and if im taking bio chem andmaths can bio for example be my 3rd option? and maths be 2nd?

English Language is basically OK, but on these "which subject is better" lists then English Lit is marginally better regarded.

From what you've said, I would guess that Maths+Chem+Bio is fine, but not sure.
English Language is basically OK, but on these "which subject is better" lists then English Lit is marginally better regarded.

From what you've said, I would guess that Maths+Chem+Bio is fine, but not sure.

Thank youuu :biggrin:
Reply 6
Probably not, and maybe. I'm pretty skeptical about RE being considered "rigorous" enough but you might be OK with Arabic, unless it's your native language, which judging from the Syrian flag on your post it might be.

- Further Maths
- Physics
- English Lit
- History
- Politics
- Economics
- French/German/Spanish

Have you tried doing RE A-Level? No? Bloody well think before you say RE isn't rigerous enough. Is learning about Plato, Aristotle, and other great thinkers easy? No. And besides Philosophy is the oldest discipline in the world. Your expected to know what several philosphers have said, and learn quotes directly from original works for top marks.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know what that guy is talking about - RE will most definitely be fine.
I never claimed it was an exhaustive list of "rigorous" subjects. Not having any sort of vaguely "official" list to hand, I erred on the side of caution and left out stuff (like RE and Philosophy) that I wasn't 100% sure about.
Bio+Chem+Maths would definitely be fine. RE I'm not entirely sure about but it should be okay, although the former would probably come across as a 'stronger' combination.
Original post by jelly1000
Have you tried doing RE A-Level? No? Bloody well think before you say RE isn't rigerous enough. Is learning about Plato, Aristotle, and other great thinkers easy? No. And besides Philosophy is the oldest discipline in the world. Your expected to know what several philosphers have said, and learn quotes directly from original works for top marks.

I'm sorry but RE is not a hard A-level, we did it a year early and nobody had a problem with it. its the epitome of easy a-levels.
Original post by LLandersUK
I'm sorry but RE is not a hard A-level, we did it a year early and nobody had a problem with it. its the epitome of easy a-levels.

It doesn't really matter that 'no one had a problem with it'. That doesn't define it's difficulty, nor does it justify your view of it epitomising 'easy A Levels'. A class studying Further Maths may not have difficulties with it; that doesn't make it 'easy' in any way!

OP, just email or call admissions directly to get a clear answer. I'm almost certain that they will tell you RE is fine.

Before anyone says anything, I don't study RE, nor have I done so in the past. I'm just using my common sense. When they say 'academic' I presume that they use this term quite loosely - for example they may not accept something like Film Studies or Textiles, only because in academic terms, the skills acquired may be limited in terms of their application to a Pharmacy degree.
Original post by Retrospect

Your cause is a noble one but it's not worth it, no one here will listen. TSR is not a forum for academically-minded people, it is a forum for people who exploit academics in order to secure careers and social standing. The sooner you realise this the less inclined to mass murder you will feel.
Original post by LLandersUK

As your class did it a year early that suggests your clever. Did you do the full A2? The AS isn't that hard, but there is a hell of a lot to learn at A2 and requires a lot of evaluation and analysis. Did you do OCR A2? Or did you do a pathetic option like AQA Science and Religion or religion and the media. That is a poor excuse for an RS A-Level.
Im not sure either would be considered as academic for you. If arabic is your first language then it wont even be counted, and if you do RE because you probably already know enough of it to pass they will probably see right through it.
Reply 15

- Further Maths
- Physics
- English Lit
- History
- Politics
- Economics
- French/German/Spanish

RE is fine.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 is a good basic guide.

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ily_em
RE is fine.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 is a good basic guide.

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

Ah thanks, that's what I was after. :smile:

Remember not to count languages if you are from a country that speaks that one of them.
Original post by Pedrobear
Your cause is a noble one but it's not worth it, no one here will listen. TSR is not a forum for academically-minded people, it is a forum for people who exploit academics in order to secure careers and social standing. The sooner you realise this the less inclined to mass murder you will feel.

:colondollar:

The noble cause will probably leave me poor and working for one of these people eventually, but the artist must suffer. :nopity:
Reply 18
Arabic would NOT count as a rigorous academic subject at SOME universities if it is your first language.

a friend of mine, who took Japanese A-Level (Predicted A*) had it included in his durham offer (AAA inc Japanese) but not in Liverpool (AAB not inc Japanese)

Pharmacy will probably want A in Chem + Bio + Maths are their other 2 fave subjects
Reply 19
Hi there I’m interested in studying pharmacy btw I was thinking to pick either psychology or economics you’ve said economics is a rigorous academic subject is psychology and which is better for someone who is apply for a Russel group uni for UoM???

- Further Maths
- Physics
- English Lit
- History
- Politics
- Economics
- French/German/Spanish

Latest