The Student Room Group

Do you have timetabled tutor time at your university?

If so, could you tell me how often, how many people are in your tutor group, is it compulsory?

What happens? Do you find it useful? What year are you in?

If not, would you like tutor time?

Basically as a course rep, people are asking me to ask why my course has no tutor time, and before I go in demanding answers, I'd like to know what goes on in them!
I'm in first year - my tutorials are where a lot of my learning happens. In languages, it's grammar, literature and oral classes, they last 50 minutes. In history, it's deeper analysis of the lectures, with someone giving an even deeper presentation once a week.
I have 3 a week for languages and 1 for history, they are compulsory - lectures aren't registered, these are, and you can only miss 5 in a year or something, with good excuses.
There's about 10-12 people in all of mine.
Reply 2
Original post by dothestrand
I'm in first year - my tutorials are where a lot of my learning happens. In languages, it's grammar, literature and oral classes, they last 50 minutes. In history, it's deeper analysis of the lectures, with someone giving an even deeper presentation once a week.
I have 3 a week for languages and 1 for history, they are compulsory - lectures aren't registered, these are, and you can only miss 5 in a year or something, with good excuses.
There's about 10-12 people in all of mine.

Thanks for the reply. So are they really just a seminar structure?
Reply 3
On my course, I've had timetabled seminars spanning across all three years, which I've found to be really helpful. The small group sizes (four to five including the lecturer in some cases) make them essentially tutorials, if I understand your meaning correctly. The main bonus is that you get more exposure in front of the lecturer; meaning you get more feedback.

One-to-one tutorials have also been available on a non-timetabled basis, which again, I've found very helpful. These tend to be more focused on assignment guidance for my course, though.
3 hours a week. 1 supervisor, 2 students in a session

i seriously don't think i'd be able to understand half the stuff taught without them
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aliluvschoc
Thanks for the reply. So are they really just a seminar structure?

Yeah, I think tutorials is just what seminars are called here.
Reply 6
Actual tutorials - 2 a term for 1 hour and there are 4 people in mine but we can arrange to see him individually by appointment. I'm in 1st year.
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies, any more?
Reply 8
I'm doing maths at Warwick. We have a half hour slot each week. This isn't organised through the timetable system, but we do have it at the same time each week.

There are five of us in our tutor group. We generally go over maths problems that we have found difficult, but if we haven't got anything to go over then we might talk about pointless things like the fountains in the lake outside. This year (2nd year) we have been making good use of it but last year we often ran out of things to talk about.

Theoretically they aren't compulsory - we only have to see our tutor at the start of each term. However we do go to them since one of the tutor's jobs is to write your reference and he would need to have known you well to do this. Also with five of us it's fairly obvious if someone hasn't shown up.
Reply 9
Computer Science at Southampton. In the first year we had an hour timetabled slot every week for the 5 of us, it was basically a case of the tutor just keeping an eye on us during our first year. A lot of the time it would be a case of "Any problems?" "No" "Ok, see you next week", but he'd also give us help with coursework, speak to our lecturers about problems he had, make sure we were good with accommodation, etc.

In the second year we still have the tutor and still in our tutor groups but there's no weekly meeting, we only have to see him at the start of teach semester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending