The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You can definitely get into university with an IB certificate, Like in my school for example if you are doing your IB certificate you are still getting a high school diploma. Like myself for instance I take three HL subjects and 3 SL subjects. That does not mean you can not get into university. I know people who have gotten into Harvard and University of Pennsylvania with an IB certificate so don't be discouraged by it you can still get into a descent university. In-fact in America you are eligible to almost all the universities as IB diploma students.
Reply 41
Original post by Chucklefiend
Your teacher should face disciplinary procedures. If anything the IB is More respected than A Levels by universities. I achieved 42 on the IB in 2008 and am now studying Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

That's the diploma though, the certificates aren't as respected as it means either you didn't take all the subjects you need for the diploma or you failed some/didn't get 24 points overall.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ilyking
I don't know much about the IB certificate, but I heard a score of 45 in IB is a ticket into any university? is this true? someone told me a 45 in an IBs is like 4 A* at a level

I'm not sure what 45 is equivalent to but it's the highest mark you could get in IB. (It's out of 45) So I guess results wise, all Unis should be happy with the score :biggrin:
Hi,
I graduated from IBDP in May 2012. My results didn't come as espected. I have 25 points, but IB Certifica awarded because of Biology HL 2.
So how can I track a path?
Original post by Elif Bushra
Hi,
I graduated from IBDP in May 2012. My results didn't come as espected. I have 25 points, but IB Certifica awarded because of Biology HL 2.
So how can I track a path?

same thing happened to me, but I got into my firm, just convert your scores in each individual subject into ucas tariff points then find a course that is suitable...or call up uni's :-) good luck!
Im doing the IB Certificate with 2 HL and 2 SL, can I get into a good university if I get good grades with my Certificate
Reply 46
Original post by AnnikenSchackt
Im doing the IB Certificate with 2 HL and 2 SL, can I get into a good university if I get good grades with my Certificate

Yeah of course, prospects have improved and the IB is more recognised and respected, just check entry requirements for courses you're interested in at "good universities" and you will know whether they'd be willing to take you on. Why do IB though, just seems too much to me..
Reply 47
I'm not an IB-er, but the programme's pretty big at my school and I have a large number of friends who've just completed the diploma.

One of my friends was asked for 42 points with 7-7-6 at HL for her Cambridge offer; she got 42 points with 7-6-6 at HL, and was rejected.

On the other hand, another of my friends was offered 32 points for Durham, and 34 for Bristol. It seems the trend is that offers are either very high, or very low. There aren't as many "middle ground" offers, from what I've seen.

Although, my school always insisted that it was fruitless to try to work out what the IB-A Level equivalents are, because the two programmes are so different.
Original post by louis9143
Did anyone get into university with the IB Certificate? Or know anyone that did?
I am doing the IB Certificate and I was shocked when my teacher told me that I would'nt be able to get into universities with that.....
Please answer me....

YES YES YES of course you will get in with the IB!! i just passed the IB with 35 points and am going to sheffield uni! the IB is so highly accepted that friends of mine who didn't quite get enough points have still been offered several places to universities. the best part is you get your results a month before A levels so have plenty of time to contact unis if your not happy with your results! Good Luck!
Reply 49
Original post by louis9143
It is 6 A*s....

but the total marks for the IB is 45, so that would be full marks..
can you send me the websites where the universities accept certificate in ib
I think there is confusion here between IB Diploma and Certificate. Your peers are correct in stating that the IB Diploma is a very highly regarded qualification that can surpass A levels in terms of tariff points. However the IB certificate is not the same it is essentially the equivalent of applying to University with AS levels rather than full A2s. It would be hard to achieve the required tariff points using this and most Universities (ones that offer in grades not points) would not accept it. I hope this helps and perhaps consult a University you are interested in directly for a conclusive answer.
Original post by Jimperrinuk
I think there is confusion here between IB Diploma and Certificate. Your peers are correct in stating that the IB Diploma is a very highly regarded qualification that can surpass A levels in terms of tariff points. However the IB certificate is not the same it is essentially the equivalent of applying to University with AS levels rather than full A2s. It would be hard to achieve the required tariff points using this and most Universities (ones that offer in grades not points) would not accept it. I hope this helps and perhaps consult a University you are interested in directly for a conclusive answer.

You're right that a lot of people in this thread are confusing the certificate with diploma.

However Higher grade 7 has the same tariff as A* at A level and standard levels attract the same tariff as AS levels.

eta: also this thread is from 2010 :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending