The Student Room Group

Need urgent help with regards to my gcse maths and english retakes!!! Please!!!

Here's the deal, i shall be succinct with it as well lol. I have recently got a conditional offer from Royal Holloway to study Philosophy and Politics of AAB, as im retaking GCSE Maths and English the former i got an E in and the latter a C (literature) D(Language) the offer did not stipulate these as part of my required grades. Ever the pragmatist i decided to call the admissions up and they said they did not require them. This was the same with Westminster and their offer of BBB the admissions person said they did not care for them. So i was thinking is there any point in even retaking English, maybe i'll continue with maths but English almost seems like a superfluous stress to undertake at such a crucial time. Please advice is needed pronto lol. Thanks for reading this not so succinct explanation, regards!
You might as well have a go, because later on you might run into obstacles with regards to not having the right grades...just don't let it affect the grades mentioned in your offer.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
You might as well have a go, because later on you might run into obstacles with regards to not having the right grades...just don't let it affect the grades mentioned in your offer.

Good luck :smile:

Im thinking to minimise the effects i shall continue with maths and if all goes tits up i shall then go on to retake english at a later stage if it is imperative to my line of work.
Original post by SamiFFXIII
Here's the deal, i shall be succinct with it as well lol. I have recently got a conditional offer from Royal Holloway to study Philosophy and Politics of AAB, as im retaking GCSE Maths and English the former i got an E in and the latter a C (literature) D(Language) the offer did not stipulate these as part of my required grades. Ever the pragmatist i decided to call the admissions up and they said they did not require them. This was the same with Westminster and their offer of BBB the admissions person said they did not care for them. So i was thinking is there any point in even retaking English, maybe i'll continue with maths but English almost seems like a superfluous stress to undertake at such a crucial time. Please advice is needed pronto lol. Thanks for reading this not so succinct explanation, regards!

Retake them. You don't want to find out later that an employer is more picky.
Reply 4
I don't see how GCSE level English would cause you any stress at all if you're writing university-level essays on philosophy and politics. You could do it in your sleep at this stage.
Original post by SamiFFXIII

Take them both. I don't have GCSE English, and it makes applying for jobs pretty awkward. Even though I do have an A level in English Lit, lots of places just ask you to tick a box confirming you have GCSE Maths and English to grade C when you apply, so it really is awkward not having the GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by the_alba
I don't see how GCSE level English would cause you any stress at all if you're writing university-level essays on philosophy and politics. You could do it in your sleep at this stage.

Yeah thanks, i decided to drop it and just continue with retake maths, this has allowed me to increase my focus on the A-levels im taking. I appreciate the advice and you make sense too. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending