The Student Room Group

what happens if my gcse dont meet my college requirements

Hey guys i am in a real panic cuz my exams went very badly. I think i failed my gcses and i wont get into college. Do any of you know what the normal practice is in these circumstances, do i get to retake along with my as/a levels or do i just get rejected and dont go to college. Please guys i am really scared HELP:frown: :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

You don't go to college.
jelementality
Hey guys i am in a real panic cuz my exams went very badly. I think i failed my gcses and i wont get into college. Do any of you know what the normal practice is in these circumstances, do i get to retake along with my as/a levels or do i just get rejected and dont go to college. Please guys i am really scared HELP:frown: :frown: :frown:

depends on the collage itself, if you want to go to do your a-levels at the same school as you did your gcse maybe you can work something out, there not like the requirements at uni, you can negotiate with them.

btw how did you fail your gcses, some are getting easier, my maths a-level class were told to do the new gcse maths course paper for fun and the lowest was a A, and we took this right at the gaining of AS level so we didnt have any a-level experience, we were pissed because our year was the last one to do the harder gcse math course.

im sure you did better then you think, remember it also depends on how the rest of the country did, i have students in a-levels redoing there english/maths/science gcse so maybe your will let you :biggrin:
Reply 3
Depends which college, what requirements there are for entry and whether there is a GCSE resit option. In my college the standard A Level programme required are 3 Bs and 3 Cs for when I entered but you could get in with 5 Cs or even 3 Cs, but the 3 Cs required you to resit GCSEs.
Reply 4
Looking at your predictions, even if you do much worse than expected, its highly unlikely you will do SO badly no college will take you! All my sixth form need is 5 cs - surely you will get that?

Don't worry till results day when you know for sure. And then teachers will be there to advise you.
Reply 5
jelementality

Then you don't go to college, it's that simple. If you don't get the grades they want, they won't accept you. There are still people who don't have a provisional place at college, and on GCSE results' day if they get the grades the college needs and you don't, they'll take your place and you'll be left with nothing.
CHILLIN-DRAGON
depends on the collage itself, if you want to go to do your a-levels at the same school as you did your gcse maybe you can work something out, there not like the requirements at uni, you can negotiate with them.

btw how did you fail your gcses, some are getting easier, my maths a-level class were told to do the new gcse maths course paper for fun and the lowest was a A, and we took this right at the gaining of AS level so we didnt have any a-level experience, we were pissed because our year was the last one to do the harder gcse math course.

Maybe that’s because your class has been studying the subject for an extra year (with more lessons) it’s defiantly not just suddenly got easier, since you took it.

OP: No one can really answer this; it depends solely on your college. If you don't meet the offer you may still get a place, but if you don’t get the grade phone up the college (preferably on the day you get them). As it's a college they probably won’t allow you to retake all of the subjects you did, normally, they just offer English language, Maths and Science - so you can reach the min. requirements for uni's.

But more than likely you've done better then you first though (so try not worry about it now)!
Reply 7
It depends what the college offer. If you don't meet the requirements for your chosen course, you'll normally be offered something else e.g. if you wanted to do 4 AS levels but get a D in GCSE Maths (say), they'll usually expect you to take 3 AS levels and to resit your GCSE. If you don't meet the requirements for A-levels at all, you'll probably be offered "level 2" courses (equivalent to GCSE A*-C), which are often 1 year vocational courses and you'll probably be asked to resit core subject GCSEs, then you could go on to A-level courses the following year, spending 3 years at college in total.

There are still plenty of doors open if you don't get the GCSE grades you need. The people who are saying 'well you just won't get into college' as if thats the end of it are almost certainly wrong. There'll be something available, even if it's not what you initially wanted.
Reply 8
Duckzilla
Then you don't go to college, it's that simple. If you don't get the grades they want, they won't accept you. There are still people who don't have a provisional place at college, and on GCSE results' day if they get the grades the college needs and you don't, they'll take your place and you'll be left with nothing.

It's really really not that simple at all. If you miss your grades for the course you want to do, you're not 'left with nothing' by any means. Lots of colleges offer GCSE resits or level 2 alternatives for people who missed their offer or who aren't ready for A-levels etc. yet
probably lookin' at 15-20 years if not the death penalty :frown:
-G-a-v-
It depends what the college offer. If you don't meet the requirements for your chosen course, you'll normally be offered something else e.g. if you wanted to do 4 AS levels but get a D in GCSE Maths (say), they'll usually expect you to take 3 AS levels and to resit your GCSE. If you don't meet the requirements for A-levels at all, you'll probably be offered "level 2" courses (equivalent to GCSE A*-C), which are often 1 year vocational courses and you'll probably be asked to resit core subject GCSEs, then you could go on to A-level courses the following year, spending 3 years at college in total.

There are still plenty of doors open if you don't get the GCSE grades you need. The people who are saying 'well you just won't get into college' as if thats the end of it are almost certainly wrong. There'll be something available, even if it's not what you initially wanted.

I want to go to med school:frown:
Reply 11
jelementality

Competition is pretty fierce for med school places. You never know you might do better than you thought, but you need pretty strong academics to even be considered. I'd check out med schools individual requirements.

You're probably just having pre-results day nerves - you might have done better than you think.
If you don't get the grades, you don't get in. Then you apply somewhere else and improve your revision techniques.

diff college/beg them/ take a year out and plead maturity and/or re-take, or forget it altogether...get a job =/
A for Andromeda
Maybe that’s because your class has been studying the subject for an extra year (with more lessons) it’s defiantly not just suddenly got easier, since you took it.

OP: No one can really answer this; it depends solely on your college. If you don't meet the offer you may still get a place, but if you don’t get the grade phone up the college (preferably on the day you get them). As it's a college they probably won’t allow you to retake all of the subjects you did, normally, they just offer English language, Maths and Science - so you can reach the min. requirements for uni's.

But more than likely you've done better then you first though (so try not worry about it now)!

we took it on the first week into AS, they told us they scrapped our old gcse course and wanted to give us a quick test, so i really only had a weeks experience :s-smilie:
jelementality

then you might wanna go on a different course and apply for grad entry.

each medical school has a system of scoring candidates so you have to pick one that suits you, there are some that hardly look at a-level/gcse but that doesnt make it any easier because they ask for a crap load of other stuff plus they need to be sure you at least had the potential to achieve good grades, and for some reason messed up.

Nottingham, one of the best uni in the country dont consider a-levels/gcse at all for grad entry medicine, but they are just as difficulty or more difficulty in terms of asking for a degree and work experience.

think of it, you see so many students get bad gcse/a-levels, but get amazing scores at uni so they were smart but maybe there potential only bloomed at uni.

so if your sure you can cope academically, and this was just a slip up, then consider what i said above, three more years o a egree isnt much and many people decide to get more degrees after they garduate anyway. :biggrin:
GCSE's are piss, A levels aren't THAT hard.

Grow up. You want to be a doctor so you can't be completely thick. Just calm down and wait untill results day.
Duckzilla

That's a little harsh :sadnod:
SilverDoe21
That's a little harsh :sadnod:

I know, but that's what happens, reality is harsh. 11 people were rejected from my school last year because they didn't get the grades and 11 more random people from outside the school took their places who hadn't even applied to the school before results day, same with my local college. My school is a state school, so it's not even selective or anything, same with the college too. You can't sugar coat these things.
Reply 19
All you need is a B in maths,2Bs in science and 2 Cs in english-lit at the bare minimum to study your chosen A Levels. Im sure you will get them...gdluck im w8in 4 my dreaded results too :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending