The Student Room Group

Help :( Problem with driving instructor .

Scroll to see replies

My instructor was a bit of a fool too.
He was always like "don't worry about what other cars are doing- don't let them pressure you"
and then he goes all "OMG hurry up there's a CAR behind you!! SXMSMDH"
Which made me freak a little.
So I calmly told him to calm down or else I'll crash the car. :smile:

But I'd change if I was worried about it.
After all, you're paying (a lot) for her service, and if you're paying that much and you're not happy with the standard, you should definitely change.
Reply 21
Original post by Phobia27
She sounds well out of order, but I sort of understand where she is getting at, I mean how come you didn't drive for a month after you failed your test? Sounds like you have taken a massive step backwards and it's going to take a bunch more lessons to get you back up to scratch again. If she has been fine with you before she was probably just having a bad day. She clearly wants you to succeed, which is at least better than some driving instructors who milk as much money as they can from you.

@ op

yeah my instructor is the same way. i mean she sometimes has an off day too and has a go at me but i just ignore it cos shes great oterwise just gets pms real bad lol, but if you think abut it, is kinds like watching a train about to crash, it must be nerve racking being an instructor all day everyday, someoen could be killed if you go wrong.

also gotta agree with the above poster, you have taken a big step backward. i've has 4 hours a week since jan, was at test standard in june but then had a break of 6 weeks and irregular lessons one hr per week for a month after that. when i went back to proper 4 hours a week in mid sept, it was like i had reverted to the crap driving i was at when i had been learning for only 3 months, and i had to relearn everythng. but i have no car to prctice on outseide lessons. i failed last week, my test is 13 jan, i have 20 hours before then to practice but i did fail with 18 minors and 3 majors (speeding, hitting the kerb or left reverse and being in the wrong lane on approach to a roundabout)

you are lucky she made time for your 6 hours, with this week and next week being xmas. is there no way you can move the tezst forwards to end of jan? just ignore her outburst. also if you can get in more private practicce between lessons then you can pass easily
Reply 22
Original post by insignificant
Unfortunately I don't have the option of asking my dad to take me out as he had to hand in his license for medical reasons. And my mum doesn't have time to take me out as she is working all the time so an instructor is my only option.

sorry, just read this, you are just like me - i have no car and noone to take me out (parents dont drive) which is why i needed 4 hours a week with an instructor for a year. seriously, if she is otherwise good there is NO WAY you should change instructor before 5th jan (if you want to keep that test slot)unless it is really bad. who on earth is gonna fit you in as a last minute booking over xmas anyway? not many, plus she knows your weak spots to work on, another instructor wil need to get to know your driving style and there is no guarantee they wont be nasty. you dont have the time. take it on the chin and swot up. you only have 6 hours, think of aims for each lesson and make the most of it
Politely remind her of the money you have spent on her and that you dont pay her to behave like that
Fair play she sounds like a right bitch.
Original post by trooper6

Correct answer imo.

I have never understood why driving instructors are so important in the UK. The respect they receive in the UK would lead you to believe that they are on the same intellectual level as the professors at your universities. In the US they are about the same level as your local dog catcher and definitely beneath the fire department or police.

I believe most of us in the US get our learners permit at 14 and most have their license at 16. Many may get the full license at 14 if they can show a sufficient need to drive that is acceptable to the department of motor vehicles (such as handicapped parent).

Firstly, if you think a driving instructor is on the same intellectual level as a university professor, you're deluded. Some of them might have a degree, yes, but since when have they been regarded as academics? They haven't. Also, it's nice to see you judging people and putting them into classes based on the job that they do.

Driving instructors in the UK are important because it is very rare for someone to pass their test without receiving lessons. There's a reason you are allowed to drive at 14, and we aren't until 17. The roads in the UK are much more difficult to drive on. They are narrower, tighter, closer to pedestrians, include roundabouts, and the vast majority of our cars are manual transmission.
Tell her to **** off. This happened to me on one of my first lessons (still haven't sat my test yet). The instructor was having a go at me for not indicating around the round about. But I had only had about 4 lessons before that so I didn't know because he had never told me. Anyway we ended up getting into an argument and I just stopped the car in the middle of the main road with loads of cars behind me. I got out and started walking home lol. I know it was dangerous but it felt ****ing brilliant at the time!
Maybe she was just a little stressed xx Christmas is a horribly stressful time, and she most likely gets frustrated when she sees people fail their test when she knows they can drive!

But if you don't feel comfortable with her anymore, change your instructor! Mind you, I don't know if you'd be able to do that before your test now, so maybe just try and put up with it until then? Not much longer :-) and if you fail again, then swap instructors. Good luck!
Reply 28
That is so unprofessional! If she's part of an organisation, you should complain. My mum is a driving instructor and she says there's nothing worse than losing your cool in front of a pupil because you're in a confined space and making a pupil worry will only make them drive worse.

It's not too late to change instructor, you still have time!
Reply 29
Original post by trooper6
I have never understood why driving instructors are so important in the UK. The respect they receive in the UK would lead you to believe that they are on the same intellectual level as the professors at your universities. In the US they are about the same level as your local dog catcher and definitely beneath the fire department or police.

I believe most of us in the US get our learners permit at 14 and most have their license at 16. Many may get the full license at 14 if they can show a sufficient need to drive that is acceptable to the department of motor vehicles (such as handicapped parent).

As Lack of Creativity said, driving in the UK is very different to driving in the US. Firstly, most Americans drive automatics, so essentially they're simply driving go karts. It takes a little while to get used to driving with a gear stick.

Plus, the roads are very different and far busier here in general.

To be honest, allowing 17 year olds to drive scare the hell out of me. The number of 17 and 18 year olds I've known who are bloody immature and think it's cool to drive with their seat reclined and using their knees to steer is ridiculously high.
Reply 30
I wouldn't be paying anyone to have a go at me. Dump her, now. Don't pay for the next six lessons and if you have, ask for the money back.

One of my friends' instructors just takes the wheel whenever he thinks she's going to do something wrong. How is she learning from that?!
Reply 31
So I've been learning with her since May.. She's taken a good 800 quid of my money in lessons and I've been very regular with lessons and not once cancelled on her. Normally we get along well. A month ago I failed my test, and was pretty gutted. Today was my first 2 hour lesson since the test, and my next test is January 5th. I was nearly crying today, she just lost it with me. Full on lost it. Pulled me over on a dual carriageway and started having a go at me saying I'm not driving to the standard she saw me drive on the test, but I think the test is completely different.. she talks to me all the time about her other pupils etc, and then she complains I don't concentrate... she was getting so frustrated with me, we came to this mini roundabout that was really busy at night in a rough area, and when I approached it there was already something going on with people beeping at each other. When I got to the front, I was just overcome with cars not even going round the roundabout just going over it and not indicating, and she just lost it like WHY ARE YOU JUST STARING STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR GODS SAKE, YOU NEED TO BE LOOKING TO THE RIGHT, JUST GO, JUST MOVE, PEOPLE ARE BEEPING AT YOU! I was so shocked, I just drove in silence. And then 5 minutes later she just started acting normally again talking about random crap with the TV. At the end of the lesson she also booked me in for 6 more hours for my test, which is going to cost me a bomb... I just got in and cried I was so shocked. I'm suffering with panic attacks as it is and feel afraid to get in her car again. I don't know what to do :frown:

Original post by shinytoy
@ op

yeah my instructor is the same way. i mean she sometimes has an off day too and has a go at me but i just ignore it cos shes great oterwise just gets pms real bad lol, but if you think abut it, is kinds like watching a train about to crash, it must be nerve racking being an instructor all day everyday, someoen could be killed if you go wrong.

also gotta agree with the above poster, you have taken a big step backward. i've has 4 hours a week since jan, was at test standard in june but then had a break of 6 weeks and irregular lessons one hr per week for a month after that. when i went back to proper 4 hours a week in mid sept, it was like i had reverted to the crap driving i was at when i had been learning for only 3 months, and i had to relearn everythng. but i have no car to prctice on outseide lessons. i failed last week, my test is 13 jan, i have 20 hours before then to practice but i did fail with 18 minors and 3 majors (speeding, hitting the kerb or left reverse and being in the wrong lane on approach to a roundabout)

you are lucky she made time for your 6 hours, with this week and next week being xmas. is there no way you can move the tezst forwards to end of jan? just ignore her outburst. also if you can get in more private practicce between lessons then you can pass easily

My instructor gave a couple shouts and random times during my lesson days, even told me at the start i was driving bad or terribly and shouted it quite threateningly, but who cares i knew he was shouting because he cared to the extent to get angry and try and get me drive better... the guy i had was very nice but i see the point that instructor do need to make them self feel present otherwise you could carry on as if nothings wrong and end up hurt/injured or hurting someone else... anyway i did fail first time, and refused to take lessons and just go into the next test, the one i failed was first week of october and managed to get a new test for 1st nov, so thought its not that long, i eventually caved and took 2hrs before my next test thankfully passed no majors, 1 minor :biggrin: second time not too bad :P

And shiny, mate I know you know that test result isnt good, but seriously maybe try changed your lesson pattern, i found 2 hours a week was optimal, and some reason i had this sort of attention fuse, after an hour, i started to create mistakes just due to plain boredom and daydreaming/staring at random stuff along the driving routes since i was just do god dam bored... Maybe 4hrs a week is being wasted as you hit saturation point quite early like me and therefore having too many hours a week is not doing it for you, i would recommend reduce the hours per week and let each weeks drive sink in a bit more so you can digest the mistakes... and yes i do agree having no practice car is a problem i had the same, literally only driving i did was in my instructors car so im happy with passing after 32 hours
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by kat2pult

To be honest, allowing 17 year olds to drive scare the hell out of me. The number of 17 and 18 year olds I've known who are bloody immature and think it's cool to drive with their seat reclined and using their knees to steer is ridiculously high.

I'm 17, was i was when i passed im 18 now :biggrin:
Nothing wrong with majority of 17 year olds, yes there are a few idiot drivers, but im sure you get idiot adults too, maybe more so since their not limited to small engines. I wouldnt go on believing all 17 year old drivers are scary since, i can vouch most of us are good drivers, i can defintely say i have seen more dangerous senile old people driving than younger drivers...
Reply 33
Original post by teshnit
I'm 17, was i was when i passed im 18 now :biggrin:
Nothing wrong with majority of 17 year olds, yes there are a few idiot drivers, but im sure you get idiot adults too, maybe more so since their not limited to small engines. I wouldnt go on believing all 17 year old drivers are scary since, i can vouch most of us are good drivers, i can defintely say i have seen more dangerous senile old people driving than younger drivers...

Ignoring the 'senile old people', there's a reason why under 21s get higher insurance quotes. I honestly don't think the majority of 17 year olds are mature enough to drive, but that's just my opinion based on those I went to college with.
So I've been learning with her since May.. She's taken a good 800 quid of my money in lessons and I've been very regular with lessons and not once cancelled on her. Normally we get along well. A month ago I failed my test, and was pretty gutted. Today was my first 2 hour lesson since the test, and my next test is January 5th. I was nearly crying today, she just lost it with me. Full on lost it. Pulled me over on a dual carriageway and started having a go at me saying I'm not driving to the standard she saw me drive on the test, but I think the test is completely different.. she talks to me all the time about her other pupils etc, and then she complains I don't concentrate... she was getting so frustrated with me, we came to this mini roundabout that was really busy at night in a rough area, and when I approached it there was already something going on with people beeping at each other. When I got to the front, I was just overcome with cars not even going round the roundabout just going over it and not indicating, and she just lost it like WHY ARE YOU JUST STARING STRAIGHT AHEAD FOR GODS SAKE, YOU NEED TO BE LOOKING TO THE RIGHT, JUST GO, JUST MOVE, PEOPLE ARE BEEPING AT YOU! I was so shocked, I just drove in silence. And then 5 minutes later she just started acting normally again talking about random crap with the TV. At the end of the lesson she also booked me in for 6 more hours for my test, which is going to cost me a bomb... I just got in and cried I was so shocked. I'm suffering with panic attacks as it is and feel afraid to get in her car again. I don't know what to do :frown:

:frown: how mean! If it really makes you uncomfortable, just find a new instructor. If you're scared of being in the car with her, it'll affect your concentration levels which will consequently affect your driving. :console:
Reply 35
Having been in a similar situation, I'd advise you to cancel all the lessons you have booked and find a new instructor.

Since March I was with an instructor who had taught many people at my school (I was recommended to him by them) but he had quite a short temper and made me feel like I was a really crappy driver. He swore too much for my liking and didn't bother letting me know when I did something right, he tended to focus on the bad. After he got into an argument with my parents about all the double lessons he was insisting I should have, I decided to ditch him. Am now with a new instructor who happens to be an old family friend, she is a great teacher and is very patient when I make mistakes. Am enjoying driving a lot more now. :smile:
I don't think some of these driving instructors remeber what it was like to learn to drive. It's an overwelming experience on it's own with everything you need to concentrate on. I would have a banging headache after every single lesson I had!

My teacher was okay with me, toward the end he got a little bit arsy but nothing major. Maybe because he was new to the job, he still had that optimism haha

You're near your test now but I really think you should try someone else out. Maybe try a male teacher this time? At least if they get angry it wont be a high pitched screeching sound......:biggrin:
Reply 37
That sounded like all of my driving lessons so far...just saying.

GET A NEW INSTRUCTOR. Always go on a recommendation, that's what I did and despite being awful and terrified at first my instructor was still patient and has NEVER shouted.

YOU are paying HER. She has to be nice to you. You're the boss.
Dump her now. And don't be nice about it.
Reply 39
Original post by Lack of Creativity
Firstly, if you think a driving instructor is on the same intellectual level as a university professor, you're deluded. Some of them might have a degree, yes, but since when have they been regarded as academics? They haven't. Also, it's nice to see you judging people and putting them into classes based on the job that they do.

I found it interesting that they are held in such high regard in the UK. It obviously doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive an automobile since even I have a drivers license.

Original post by Lack of Creativity
Driving instructors in the UK are important because it is very rare for someone to pass their test without receiving lessons. There's a reason you are allowed to drive at 14, and we aren't until 17. The roads in the UK are much more difficult to drive on. They are narrower, tighter, closer to pedestrians, include roundabouts, and the vast majority of our cars are manual transmission.

Fair enough.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending