The Student Room Group

FRENCH help please!!!

hey i'm having a bit of trouble with a french assignment. if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate any help!!!
question is:
Expliquez le sens de l’expression la censure, dans les pays l’information n’est pas sous contrôle absolu, concourt à sa manière à la publicité.
if you need to know what context it's in.... the expression is found in a text titled "Le documentaire entre cinématographie et télévision"
and the full sentence is:
Ce n'est pas seulement parce que la censure, dans les pays l'information n'est pas sous contrôle absolu, concourt à sa manière à la publicité, c'est aussi parce que le cinéma, en France, dispose d'un appareil critique et éditorial qui fait largement défaut à la télévision sans mémoire.

sorry, it's just one fo those things i wouldn't even understand in english! :rolleyes:
thanks for any help!! :smile:
Reply 1
shay904
hey i'm having a bit of trouble with a french assignment. if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate any help!!!
question is:
Expliquez le sens de l’expression la censure, dans les pays l’information n’est pas sous contrôle absolu, concourt à sa manière à la publicité.
if you need to know what context it's in.... the expression is found in a text titled "Le documentaire entre cinématographie et télévision"
and the full sentence is:
Ce n'est pas seulement parce que la censure, dans les pays l'information n'est pas sous contrôle absolu, concourt à sa manière à la publicité, c'est aussi parce que le cinéma, en France, dispose d'un appareil critique et éditorial qui fait largement défaut à la télévision sans mémoire.

sorry, it's just one fo those things i wouldn't even understand in english! :rolleyes:
thanks for any help!! :smile:

It would be useful to have the sentence before the one you quote! Anyway, here's a shot at a mixture of translation and paraphrase:

This is not only because censorship, in countries where information in not strictly under (central) control, contributes in its own (peculiar) way to publicity, it is also because the cinema, in France, has at its disposal a set of editorial and critical processes which television just does not have, since television does not remember anything (that it has shown)...

Whatever precedes this passage is explained then by two things:

Firstly that the process of censoring, or, at the limit, banning films, actually provides free publicity for them...

Secondly, that the French cinema has developed a critical and editorial process which is fairly rigorously applied, whereas television just shows material (I think that the idea that this is without much forethought is implied) and then just forgets about it. Films are created works, what has been shown on television is just forgotten about.

Aitch
Reply 2
hey thankyou soo much!!
i still barely understand it but at least i understand enough to give an answer to the question :rolleyes:
thanks again. :biggrin:
Reply 3
now.... anyone fancy helping me with the rest of my assignment?
lol. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending