The Student Room Group

should A-Level law be taken in order to do Law at uni?

I am asking for my sister; she is in year 11 and wants to do law at uni and choosen Geo, Textstyles, Business studies and BTEC IT in year 10. Our school dosen't do law as a option so she choosen the options above, as she felt comfortable with them.
She wants to do A-Levels and she has already choosen English Langauage, Maths and Textstyles.
She is not sure whether she should choose A-Level law because many sixth forms said you should have choosen history in year 10 in order to do law in sicth from, other colleges are saying you should not choose A-Level Law because university will compelety irgone it becasue they teach in a different way. On the other hand others are saying you should do A-Level law because university will accpect you. So this is the situation my sister is in she does not know what she should do; choose law or not because she wants to be a lawyer.
Reply 1
I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, don't need you to have done any law before entering your degree and the top unis prefer arts subjects such as English lit/history/philosophy as they're harder or some ****.
Reply 2
It isn't a requirement, and they don't exactly ignore it, but I've been told they prefer students who pick "core" subjects.

My friend did Law at A-level and is studying it now in Uni.
I would take a guess that this depends entirely on the uni. I mean, I have heard before that because it's so competitive that unis only really take those with, as someone said before, core subjects. But I do know someone who got into law through clearing, and had done law at A-levels :yep:.
Original post by sim12345
I am asking for my sister; she is in year 11 and wants to do law at uni and choosen Geo, Textstyles, Business studies and BTEC IT in year 10. Our school dosen't do law as a option so she choosen the options above, as she felt comfortable with them.
She wants to do A-Levels and she has already choosen English Langauage, Maths and Textstyles.
She is not sure whether she should choose A-Level law because many sixth forms said you should have choosen history in year 10 in order to do law in sicth from, other colleges are saying you should not choose A-Level Law because university will compelety irgone it becasue they teach in a different way. On the other hand others are saying you should do A-Level law because university will accpect you. So this is the situation my sister is in she does not know what she should do; choose law or not because she wants to be a lawyer.

The short answer is no a level law is not a prerequisite for a law degree.

To check if she is doing a good a level combination (I would wonder if her a levels include enough opportunity to practise arguing and analysis of written material) - I would suggest that she email the admissions tutors of some of the unis that she might be considering applying to and ask if she has a good combination. Better to ask now than later.
if she is aiming for top institutions, then A level law is to be avoided as many (LSE et al) say they do not like/want it
Reply 6
A level law is not particularly highly-regarded by LSE (and to a lesser extent by Cambridge--though I know plenty of people at Cambridge who did law). English language is ok (some people say English literature is better, but I'm not sure how much credence I'd give that), and maths is great. Textiles, however, really doesn't rate as an A level for someone who wants to apply to do law. She ought to do at least one other traditional academic subject--a science or history, philosophy, RS, a foreign language--if she wants to be competitive for any of the top unis. If she's really set on textiles, that's fine, but she needs another traditional A level, as well.
Reply 7
Original post by infernalcradle

Original post by infernalcradle
if she is aiming for top institutions, then A level law is to be avoided as many (LSE et al) say they do not like/want it

Not necessarily true for all 'top institutions'

I know several people who are reading law at Kings and UCL who took law at a-level and said they advise doing so because it helps you grasp the concepts and format scenario-based questions
The best solution is to search the uni's she'd like to go to, and see if there are preferred subjects that they'd like you to take. That's the best and most accurate route to find out the answers to your question..
If she wants to do Law at a top uni Textiles isn't a great choice. English seems to be more suitable Lang, or so I've heard. They tend to want to traditional subjects.
(edited 13 years ago)
I didn't take textiles (or any other form of art) but the people I know who did found that it took up most of their time so I would only recommend she takes it if she really loves it and thinks she can cope with working a lot on it (thus leaving less time for her other subject or for free time).
Reply 11
Why would you chose not to do law at A level if that's what you want to do at uni? :s-smilie:
thank u for the help
Reply 13
A-level Law would only be beneficial if she isn't sure about Law and would like to find out what Law has to offer. I suggest English lit, History, as must-haves for A -levels. She can pick what she likes for the third A-level but those two will compliment her studies whilst studying Law LLB. Traditional/academic subjects are what the TOP universities would like.
Reply 14
tbh, i want to do Law and my subjects are maths/Bio/chem/history and i have asked evry etacher in my skl and potential college i want to go to ad htye said its fine, if you want to to Law and A-Lvele go on! no one has said no, but do well in it!

ppl 'say' english is needed but its not! traditional subjects are acknowledged more though, so Law at Alevel for some unis may be "/

tbh all you need is to pass that LNAT test and you'll be fine!
Law is not compulsory but it sure helps a lot.. Some of the syllabus is the same at uni! And I didn't do the LNAT cos in my opinion it doesn't show how skilled someone is. I did some for practice and I did horribly but I've got the highest grade in my year for law! And anyway I don't see how knowing which answer is the most correct can compete with learning the actual theory..but that's just me.
The LNAT is a required test by some universities. My choices didn't require it and so I didn't take it however my housemate did take it for one of his subjects. From what he's said and looking at the papers if you do Critical Thinking at A Level the LNAT would be a piece of piss... Having said that DO NOT do Critical Thinking A Level as one of your main three. I did it purely because it was required, not because I wanted to. (It also isn't acknowledged by a lot of universities as a full A Level but will be acknowledged as an extra AS.)

If you want to study an LLB then A Level law isn't required, also if you only look at Criminal Law it won't even tell you if you like Law really. (I know people who loved Criminal but then when we got to Contract, EU, Trusts and Land wanted to quit) It will give you a taste of how you have to learn things though.
I did A Level Law and I'm glad I did as I got an A in it but part of me wishes I had done English instead.
Don't do Textiles unless its a fourth A Level. If you do History then law schools will love you, similarly if you do English. Politics also seems to have gone down well (I did law, politics, history and as critical thinking and received 5 offers).
They also like sciences. I know a lot of people who did Physics and Maths along with History and got accepted to various places. Essentially though if you do traditional subjects (the sciences, maths, history, english, languages. Not textiles, business studies, sociology, media) then as long as you get decent grades any uni will accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending