The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by MHorman
Ok, next session is deadlifting but before friday session i will check out a few more vids and attempt some more cleans...

I feel thoroughly outmanned... :colondollar:

I reckon 7 or 8 tbh. Maybe 10+ if i'm feeling fresh/do it at the start of my workout...

Not sure how deadlifts can be not strict tbh. It's on the floor to lockout by any means necessary. My last few will probably be a bit backroundy but as long as it locks out it's fine...

A deadlift isn't strict if you don't use your back properly. For the last few reps of deadlifting (if doing a load of reps) your back might curl a bit too much
Reply 381
Cardio UPDATE

Went Spinning. Was like 45 mins. I had sweat pouring off me after about 5 mins.

Compared to when i used to go spinning like 3 times a week back in oct/nov/dec i felt very unfit... REckon i should have not cut down on cardio so much. I do want to gain muscle but no point losing ability to work out properly cardiowise at the same time...

Gym tomorrow morning for 62.5 bench for 3*5 and then some heavy push presses and then squats(may go heavy(like 1RM) for funs) and then 5RM deadlift at 135kg...
Squat progress lately has been epic. Got stuck at 100 for a while so deloaded to 90 then smashed it up to 115 now with only one workout worth of repeat. REckon i could smash out 120/125 for 1RM. Why i want to do this is just for fun tbh... Legs are feeling climbs from spin class a bit so 117.5 for 3*5 sounds boring...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 382
Original post by MHorman
Ok, next session is deadlifting but before friday session i will check out a few more vids and attempt some more cleans...

I feel thoroughly outmanned... :colondollar:

I reckon 7 or 8 tbh. Maybe 10+ if i'm feeling fresh/do it at the start of my workout...

Not sure how deadlifts can be not strict tbh. It's on the floor to lockout by any means necessary. My last few will probably be a bit backroundy but as long as it locks out it's fine...

Managed 1x9 of 120kg on deads today. But that was after doing 2 sets (130kg, 135kg), so reckon I can knock out a few more if not tired.

I'll video next time I do them :smile:
Reply 383
Weigh in 73.5kg. About what i've come to expect lately.

Bench
62.5kg*5,5,5

Feels nice to actually smash out full session on bench even if i did lower the weights. Up to 65kg again next time.

Push Press
40kg*3 These were surprisingly hard
60kg*F
Was gonna lower the weight to like 50 but i couldn't be bothered at the time. May give it a go next time again but at like 52.5 or 55 to get some heavy volume on my lockout.

Squat
Legs slightly feeling it from spin last night so went 1RM testing for lulz
120*1 Suprisingly easy
125*F Dunno what happened here. Hit the bottom then got about 6 inches back up and then i had a "wardroabe malfunction" and the shock of that caused me to lose concentration and ruined the lift i reckon. The guy who i often see there and sometimes cycle with(Jack) went "Was that your knee?" and i replied "No, it was my boxers" :colondollar:
125*1 Was epically slow on the way back up but i made it. :cool:

New 1RM PB, reckon on a fresh day it could be 130 though:colone:

Deadlift
Was dead from 1RM'ing my squat so went for max reps at 120kg.
120kg*8 Not happy, wanted 10+ but doing it after V heavy squats wasn't the best move. Ahh well, was fun.
Realised after 3 reps that i forgot to video but w/e...

Assistance

Chins
BW*5,3

Meh, was dead.

Curls
10kg*10,8

TL;dr, easy bench, failed push press, 1RM squat, reps of deadlift and crappy assistance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 384
Ahhh i failed on push press today too! well ohp. i usually do like 40kg and get 5,4,4 or something i went back to 35kg today and got 5,4,2 i was like wtf!
Your tris are going to be fried after benching. Push pressing afterwards is unlikely to be a good idea since it's kind of like a triceps overload movement. Try working up to a couple of (conservative) push press sets before benching. You may bench more due to better CNS activation.
Reply 386
UPDATE

Weigh in 74kg
Feeling like a right fatty. Expecting to be around 75/76 by the end of term before losing a bunch whilst in Asia over summer and being a leaner 70 or so by September.

Push Press

40kg*3
For fun as Bench was busy...

Bench
65kg*5,5,5
Got a nice full set at 65. Going for 67.5 for 3*5 next time which i've never got before...

Squat
117.5*1 , felt like about 130, struggled like hell to get 1 and then racked it.
Thought i'd drop to 100 and get some volume
100kg*3 WTF, seriously, this felt superheavy. Not happy.:colone:

Deadlift
135kg*5(5RM PB)
This was epically difficult tbh. The last rep was mong strengthed up tbh with a little bit of backrounding

Assistance
This was supersetted so pull ups then curls then dips then repeat...

Pull ups
BW*8(PB), 4
:cool: Went for a PB as i was annoyed at Squat failure today.

Curls
12kg*6,6
Meh, i need to work on curls tbh as i still curl the same as i did when i started...
Although doing them after super heavy deadlift and pull ups isn't good for them...

Dips
BW*6,5
Was dead by this point.

Original post by Gallium
Ahhh i failed on push press today too! well ohp. i usually do like 40kg and get 5,4,4 or something i went back to 35kg today and got 5,4,2 i was like wtf!

That's weird tbh. I've had that once when i lowered the weight and still failed but i just repeated the lower weight the next session and it was fine.
Reply 387
Original post by MHorman
UPDATE

Weigh in 74kg
Feeling like a right fatty. Expecting to be around 75/76 by the end of term before losing a bunch whilst in Asia over summer and being a leaner 70 or so by September.

Push Press

40kg*3
For fun as Bench was busy...

Bench
65kg*5,5,5
Got a nice full set at 65. Going for 67.5 for 3*5 next time which i've never got before...

Squat
117.5*1 , felt like about 130, struggled like hell to get 1 and then racked it.
Thought i'd drop to 100 and get some volume
100kg*3 WTF, seriously, this felt superheavy. Not happy.:colone:

Deadlift
135kg*5(5RM PB)
This was epically difficult tbh. The last rep was mong strengthed up tbh with a little bit of backrounding

Assistance
This was supersetted so pull ups then curls then dips then repeat...

Pull ups
BW*8(PB), 4
:cool: Went for a PB as i was annoyed at Squat failure today.

Curls
12kg*6,6
Meh, i need to work on curls tbh as i still curl the same as i did when i started...
Although doing them after super heavy deadlift and pull ups isn't good for them...

Dips
BW*6,5
Was dead by this point.

That's weird tbh. I've had that once when i lowered the weight and still failed but i just repeated the lower weight the next session and it was fine.

Nice work. Deads are now equal to mine. Me not happy :tongue: I'm going to go for big weights today on dead.
Reply 388
Original post by GQ.
Nice work. Deads are now equal to mine. Me not happy :tongue: I'm going to go for big weights today on dead.

They're equal on paper but last time you got 130*5 then 135*5 then 120*8. I died just getting the 5 at 135.

I tried going for a deadlift hold at 120 afterwards and the thing wouldn't come off the floor... :colondollar:
Reply 389
Weigh in 74kg

Bench
67.5kg 5,3+2,5

I'm gonna count this as 3*5, the middle set i was too high up on the bench so the bar was hitting the safety bars every rep. Took like 2 seconds to move down the bench then did the last 2. 70kg for 5 next time i hope...

Deadlift
140kg*3(PB)
I know it should have been 137.5 for 5 but i decided to go for 140 instead because it's a lot cooler... Still can say i have a 3 plate deadlift for reps now which is fairly epic...

Squats
Had another wardroabe malfunction during first warm up set and considering i had to go doctors afterwards an walk home i wanted to have some shorts left so stopped squats there...

Was being quick from here onwards as black boxers under white shorts with big rip is not subtle...

Chins
BW*9

Nice strict form on these. Wanted 10+ though... :colone:

Curlz
12kg*7

Dips
BW*5

Bench was alright and deads was fine but i have barely squatted for like the last week...:colone:
Reply 390
You were just jelly that my deads are awesome :tongue:
Reply 391
Original post by GQ.
You were just jelly that my deads are awesome :tongue:

True, i was jelly, i was mirin.

Thought i'd caught you up and then you went and kicked my ass so i had to ramp it up even more...

I still can deadlift 3 plates for reps though which is fairly cool...
Reply 392
Original post by MHorman
True, i was jelly, i was mirin.

Thought i'd caught you up and then you went and kicked my ass so i had to ramp it up even more...

I still can deadlift 3 plates for reps though which is fairly cool...

^^ definitely dude. You done a great job. And you have a lower body weight than me. I think I am going to cut once I reach my end of year results.
Reply 393
Man, you need some better shorts! :p:

(good deadlifting)
Reply 394
WEigh in 74kg
About right

Bench
70*5, 2(5RM PB)
Had no spotter as was the only person in the gym at 7:30 so played it safe and racked it
60*5 Fairly easy.

Strict Press
40kg*5
Have been ignoring these to focus on benching the last week or so but threw some light ones in.

Squat
100kg*5
Dunno what is up lately with my squat but since i did 125*1 i can't seem to squat properly with heavy weights. I just die when i try putting anything near heavy weights on and my form felt a bit weird today as well... :confused:

Deadlift
120kg*9
For the challenge thing that SS started before he got banned but i felt like doing it anyway. Was going for 10 but my form was fairly crap the entire way and my 9th was a right struggle...

Running low on time so then rushed the end few assistances with no break.

Pull Ups
BW*5

Dumbell Curlz
14kg*4(+3 with a bit of body english)

Dumbell Row
36kg*5
Crap form, not strict at all...

Original post by GQ.
^^ definitely dude. You done a great job. And you have a lower body weight than me. I think I am going to cut once I reach my end of year results.

For BW ratio i'm winning but for straight weights you're kicking my ass at everything.

Original post by Becca
Man, you need some better shorts! :p:

(good deadlifting)

True, used the old short shorts today but at least they're stretchy...

And ty, being a guy does have a lot of use when it comes to putting things up and putting them down.:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 395
Original post by MHorman
WEigh in 74kg
About right

Bench
70*5, 2(5RM PB)
Had no spotter as was the only person in the gym at 7:30 so played it safe and racked it
60*5 Fairly easy.

Strict Press
40kg*5
Have been ignoring these to focus on benching the last week or so but threw some light ones in.

Squat
100kg*5
Dunno what is up lately with my squat but since i did 125*1 i can't seem to squat properly with heavy weights. I just die when i try putting anything near heavy weights on and my form felt a bit weird today as well... :confused:

Deadlift
120kg*9
For the challenge thing that SS started before he got banned but i felt like doing it anyway. Was going for 10 but my form was fairly crap the entire way and my 9th was a right struggle...

Running low on time so then rushed the end few assistances with no break.

Pull Ups
BW*5

Dumbell Curlz
14kg*4(+3 with a bit of body english)

Dumbell Row
36kg*5
Crap form, not strict at all...

For BW ratio i'm winning but for straight weights you're kicking my ass at everything.

True, used the old short shorts today but at least they're stretchy...

And ty, being a guy does have a lot of use when it comes to putting things up and putting them down.:biggrin:

The exact same thing has happened to my squats. After hitting 122.5kg I just cant seem to squat as good as before :s
Original post by MHorman
N00b does Starting Strength

Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Chin ups - 3 x 8-12
Curls* a load
Dips*a load

Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Strict Press - 3x5
Bent over rows 3x5
Pull ups - 3 x 8-12
Curls* a load
Dips*a load

Week 1/2

Mon: workout A/B
Weds: Workout B/A
Fri: workout A/B

Also adding in Bicep curls as an assistance exercise at the end now as my arms are embaressingly small and none of the other lifts specifically target them...
Cardio will be done on weekends and will either be a 5k run, spinning class, or cycling probably...

Fyi, This is mainly being done to aid my offroad motorbike racing. I basically lack the strength to be doing it properly so will be trying about 4 months or so of bulking before a month or two of cutting.

Starting Stats:
Weight:63kg
Height: 5 ft 9
Lifts:
5RM Bench 40kg
5RM Squat 45kg
5RM Deadlift 55kg
5RM Press 30kg
5RM Row 40kg
Chins PB 6
Pull ups PB 3

Current Stats:( As of 23/5/11)
Weight : 74kg
Lifts:
1RM/5RM Bench 72.5/67.5kg
1RM/5RM Squat 125/115kg
1RM/5RM Deadlift 140/135kg
5RM Press 50kg
WSM one arm press 34kg
5RM Row 55kg or 36kg Dumbell
Chins PB 11
Pull ups PB 8

When i get my chins up to 3 sets of 12 then i'll add the weighted vest thing which i think is another 10kg.

Spoiler

Nice Quads....

Don't ignore the neck, otherwise as the rest of your body increases in mass and it just looks weird.

Weighted shrugs work best, bout 30-40kg.
Reply 397
WEnt on a small 2 mile run with a coursemate tonight.

Going at a 9 minute mile pace for most of the time until she decided to sprint at the end to try and beat me.
I casually kept right alongside whilst she sprinted to try and beat me. Inside i was dying but manged to pull off a nice aloof look.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/73bjqfdd3o1maqbj
For the e stalkers out there...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Long time stalker here :wink:

Your little stories actually crack me up so keep posting them! Keep up the good work man :smile:
Reply 399
11*120kg deads today after some stuff, reps is tough though!:p:

Quick Reply

Latest