The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
GYM

Running
Couch to 5k week 4

Weigh in 75.5kg. :biggrin:

This time it was 3 mins run, 90 secs walk, 5 mins run, 150 secs walk and repeat.

Did first run at 12kph then realised during walk after that i wouldn't be able to maintain that pace all day so did the rest at 10kph which was a nice jogging pace.

With 30 seconds to go i went for a quick run/"sprint finish" at 13.5kph but found it too easy so ended up running for 6 minutes in the final run with the last 90 seconds at 13.5kph for a nice sprint home to knacker myself out.
Total distance: 4.07km in like 28 minutes ish

Will be back out running on saturday for couhc to 5k week 4 again but outside this time with hills and stuff...

Original post by commandant
did you ever get the 140 for 1? 3 sets of 3 at 130 must be good for a 140

YEa, i got 140 for one early december. I went for 145 like 2 weeks later and failed it twice though.

REckon with 3*3 at 122.5 i'm up to around my full squatting strength again. Also, with the reps at bench i'm up to near the best i've been. Deadlifting is coming back up. Grip was solid yestedray at 145 though, normally i struggle with grip but it was easy yesteday.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 781
Plan for gym tomorrow

Squats 85kg 5*5/OHP 45kg for 5*5/DB Rows 34kg for 3 sets of 5

Db rows going for strict with no body movement, if i fail that then i'll up the reps to 8 each time with bit of body movement.

Also, forgot to mention under my cardio days that on most days i cycle for 40 mins(to/from uni). It's mostly flat other than the hill by my house and a less steep but longer hill near uni.

Cycled 3 times last week on mon/tues/thurs and have done it twice this week, mon/tues. Motorbike in on weds from the gf's house but should cycle 4 days this week as i will be cycling friday instead of 3 last week. It all helps. :smile:
Original post by MHorman
Plan for gym tomorrow

Db rows going for strict with no body movement, if i fail that then i'll up the reps to 8 each time with bit of body movement.

Also, forgot to mention under my cardio days that on most days i cycle for 40 mins(to/from uni). It's mostly flat other than the hill by my house and a less steep but longer hill near uni.

Cycled 3 times last week on mon/tues/thurs and have done it twice this week, mon/tues. Motorbike in on weds from the gf's house but should cycle 4 days this week as i will be cycling friday instead of 3 last week. It all helps. :smile:

Isn't it counter-productive if you're too strict on form for all your reps? :erm:
Reply 783
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Isn't it counter-productive if you're too strict on form for all your reps? :erm:

:confused:Probably but i did 32 fine with little to no body movement the other week and then with 34 i had to basically swing it up everytime... Hoping for stricter this time for low number of reps but then may go for a load of less strict reps at the end or something.
Reply 784
Original post by MHorman
:confused:Probably but i did 32 fine with little to no body movement the other week and then with 34 i had to basically swing it up everytime... Hoping for stricter this time for low number of reps but then may go for a load of less strict reps at the end or something.

i ain't done db rows in months but i was managing 40 with no/little body movement.

just done 70k 5x5 for pendlays today, although it's hard to be consistent with form on them
Reply 785
Original post by Gallium
i ain't done db rows in months but i was managing 40 with no/little body movement.

just done 70k 5x5 for pendlays today, although it's hard to be consistent with form on them

Yea but you got a stronger back and have lifted like 155+ for 5 on deads before whereas my PB is only 150.

Think i just out squat/bench you though.

If you can do 40s i may try working up to some higher weights tomorrow.
May go for a set of 5 on 26s and then if they feel good then try 38s. Want to be lifting the 50kg before the end of this uni year. :cool:
Reply 786
Original post by MHorman
Yea but you got a stronger back and have lifted like 155+ for 5 on deads before whereas my PB is only 150.

Think i just out squat/bench you though.

If you can do 40s i may try working up to some higher weights tomorrow.
May go for a set of 5 on 26s and then if they feel good then try 38s. Want to be lifting the 50kg before the end of this uni year. :cool:

i used to do high rep db rows go up 2 kg per week, i used to do sets of rows 5 pendlay 3 db and 2 cable rows, worked pretty well IMO. no I've gone back to 5x5 on pendlays stick to the programme and all lol.

i'm only squatting 90*5*5 ;(, relearning form and stuff hop[efully i hit prs in 2 weeks

and bench shall catch up done 65 for 5x5 with gas left in the tank
Reply 787
I find that BB rows are much better than DB rows for back development and carry over to improving deadlift.

I find form tends to slip a bit for the heaviest set - but it's the only way you can really progress with rows - I found when I was doing them completely strict set after set I wasn't progressing.
Reply 788
Plan for gym tomorrow
Gym time

WEigh in 76.5kg,
About what i expected, the 75.5 was a fluke, unfortunately.

Squats

20*5
60*3
85*5,5,5,5,5

Struggled with 60 on my warm up then most of the main sets were flying up.

OHP
20*5
30*3
45*5,5,5,3,f
First 3 sets were easy and quick than just had no chance of getting 4th rep in 4th set, it didnt even move, same on 5th set. I find with OHP that when i fail i am done.
Push Press
55*3
Was gonna go for more but got all lightheaded. :confused:

Rows
14kg*10
34*5
36*5,5,5
Bit of swing on last rep or two each set.

Chins6,4
Curlz 14kg*6, 12kg*4
Dips 7,5

My assitance always seems to be about the same, i reckon it's because muscles are slightly knackered from earlier lifts which get heavier each time.

Nice light squat day, best 3*5 on OHP for months and solid rowing. Good gym day.

Original post by mituozo
I find that BB rows are much better than DB rows for back development and carry over to improving deadlift.

I find form tends to slip a bit for the heaviest set - but it's the only way you can really progress with rows - I found when I was doing them completely strict set after set I wasn't progressing.

Interesting, i may try them again at some point but i always found i could never be consistent with my foprm so the numbers were meaningless. May just do them anyway and not care about the numbers...
With regards to assistance being too difficult after doing the main lifts, why don't you just do a seperate curls session once a week whilst the arms are fresh?

Arms aren't going to grow unless they get proper attention.
Reply 790
Original post by MHorman
Gym time

WEigh in 76.5kg,
About what i expected, the 75.5 was a fluke, unfortunately.

Squats

20*5
60*3
85*5,5,5,5,5

Struggled with 60 on my warm up then most of the main sets were flying up.

OHP
20*5
30*3
45*5,5,5,3,f
First 3 sets were easy and quick than just had no chance of getting 4th rep in 4th set, it didnt even move, same on 5th set. I find with OHP that when i fail i am done.
Push Press
55*3
Was gonna go for more but got all lightheaded. :confused:

Rows
14kg*10
34*5
36*5,5,5
Bit of swing on last rep or two each set.

Chins6,4
Curlz 14kg*6, 12kg*4
Dips 7,5

My assitance always seems to be about the same, i reckon it's because muscles are slightly knackered from earlier lifts which get heavier each time.

Nice light squat day, best 3*5 on OHP for months and solid rowing. Good gym day.

Interesting, i may try them again at some point but i always found i could never be consistent with my foprm so the numbers were meaningless. May just do them anyway and not care about the numbers...

Your pressing's getting too close to me, if you're not trying to cut much there's defo danger of you overtaking me in most the lifts :frown:

Row wise: I know what you mean, you can get a good idea though of how much hip drive is being used and then it's just common sense. Increase the numbers each week like anything else you would, and when you feel it's getting ridiculous reset and start progress again, it's worked well for me any how.
Reply 791
Original post by Speedlimit
With regards to assistance being too difficult after doing the main lifts, why don't you just do a seperate curls session once a week whilst the arms are fresh?

Arms aren't going to grow unless they get proper attention.

Arms have grown a little bit but i don't care THAT much about them to have them on a seperate day tbh.

Atm i only have 2 rest days on thurs/sunday and if i did a lot of arm stuff thurs i wouldn't be good for heavy bench/deadlifts friday and same argument for sunday.

Original post by mituozo
Your pressing's getting too close to me, if you're not trying to cut much there's defo danger of you overtaking me in most the lifts :frown:

Row wise: I know what you mean, you can get a good idea though of how much hip drive is being used and then it's just common sense. Increase the numbers each week like anything else you would, and when you feel it's getting ridiculous reset and start progress again, it's worked well for me any how.

At my best before i was pressing 50 for 3 sets of 5 iirc last april/may time.... It's embaressing that i abandoned it for so long that it got terrible.

I think we'll stay around close in most of the lifts tbh.

That's a nice way of putting it on rows. Will go for 38s next week and probably some barbell stuff as well and then see how i feel as to whether to up weights again..
Reply 792
Gym

Weigh in 76kg.
I like this getting lighter game, more fun than getting heavier.

Ridiculously packed gym, not fun, wanted to bench first but had to squat first instead.

Squat~Target 127.5*3
20*10
60*5
100*1
belt, 127.5*3, tough...
Belt off
77.5*14

Going for max reps at BW Squat whilst waiitng for bench, wanted to hit nearer 20 but never mind.

Bench~Target 80*3, then up to 10 reps total in a few more sets
20*10
40*5
60*3,1
80*3,2,2,2,1
:cool:

I like my benching lately. Had a spotter today which helped a lot as gave me a bit more confidence to go for that extra rep some of the time.

Trap Bar deadlifts
(Only bar available)

Spoiler

60*5,
90*4
110*3
140*2, realised i was using raised handles at this point(Like in the pic above)
Because of this i thought i would go for more weight than planned for a triple but it wasn't too tough, felt weird in hams/glutes though so went for 5.
160*5

Smashed PB by like 10kg for 5RM but was a lot easier with raised handles imo so not counting it.

Gym had taken forever by this point so did no assistance and went home. Was in uni before 9am for labs and it was 6:45pm at this point.
Original post by MHorman
Ridiculously packed gym, not fun

Reply 794
^^Y'should come to my gym, only two other people were there with me last night.
Sometimes it's even common for me to be the only person. Feels good.
Reply 795
Cardio time

Did couch to 5k week 4 again like i did on tuesday but did it outside in the park with the gf so was hillier, slower than the treadmill speed a bit though.

Original post by sil3nt_cha0s

:colone:
Original post by danadd9
^^Y'should come to my gym, only two other people were there with me last night.
Sometimes it's even common for me to be the only person. Feels good.

When i used to go the gym in the morning that would be very common for me. It's only because of how busy my friday is lately that i have to go in the evening.
Reply 796
Gym plan for tomorrow lunchtime

Squats 125kg*3*3, will be killer but reckon i should get it, hopefully...
Bench may go for new 3RM at 82.5kg then get in some heavy volume or go for dropping the weight back down to 75kg and get 5 sets of 3 properly.
Deadlift 150kg*5(equal 5RM pb)
Reply 797
If you're trying to transform, would higher upper body volume / rep ranges not be beneficial for hypertrophy?
Reply 798
Original post by Mdawg
If you're trying to transform, would higher upper body volume / rep ranges not be beneficial for hypertrophy?

If i was trying to transform to get get a more muscular upper body then yea.

Atm i'm just eating less and doing a similiar routine to get some fat loss going on alongside some extra cardio for fitness. Will throw in some light weight/high rep dumbell stuff at the end for funsies after the main lifts.

I'd rather just be a leaner lifting machine than one that looks more impressive but lifts less.
Reply 799
Original post by Mdawg

well tbf he won't really build much muscle while 'cutting', might even lose some

Quick Reply

Latest