The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE postgraduate offer holders 2011/2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Tesero
Sorry guys, How long did you wait for your acceptation/rejection?

This is my 7th week of waiting... And next week I have to confirm/reject other two universities...

P.S: I'm international (from Italy) and I applied to MSc Acc&Fin

You know from the application materials that 8 weeks is the norm? And some offer holders heard in a considerably shorter period, some in a considerably longer period.

Most universities don't seem to be requiring absolute confirmation at this stage - can you accept your second choice offer in the meantime until you hear from LSE?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 221
I can, but I have to give them 2k euros non refundable deposit. It's a considerable amount of money... I read that the standard period is 8 weeks, but I was hoping in something better.
I'll probably wait until the last moment before confirming my second choice and then if LSE give me a decent conditional offer (crossing finger) I'll decide if lose the deposit or not...

Thank you!
Reply 222
Original post by Tesero
I can, but I have to give them 2k euros non refundable deposit. It's a considerable amount of money... I read that the standard period is 8 weeks, but I was hoping in something better.
I'll probably wait until the last moment before confirming my second choice and then if LSE give me a decent conditional offer (crossing finger) I'll decide if lose the deposit or not...

Thank you!

2k in deposit? None of the universities I applied for required anything like that, that's crazy! No wonder you're worried. Maybe you could contact them and explain the situation honestly and ask for a couple of weeks grace period before committing? Some people didn't receive their offers from LSE until after about 10 or 11 weeks... Good luck.
Reply 223
Warwick and Cass, my other options, required 2k £ too. Cass in 4 weeks, Warwick in 6... But still 2k £...

I'll send an e-mail to the admission office Monday and I hope to get a reply soon.

Thanks!
Reply 224
Just got a conditional offer for an MSc in Management! Two year course though, so still haven't made a decision. Really happy about it though!
Hi everyone,

I've joined in a little late on this thread. I'm a development professional from India and I've got admission to LSE (MSc NGO and Development) and SOAS (MSc Development Studies). \

That's not all. I've got a Commonwealth scholarship to study at LSE which would take care of all my expenses. I've also got a full scholarship for SOAS called the Felix Scholarship. I'm very confused as to what to take up. I have a few queries...

- Which is the better school for development studies and would look better on a CV for future job prospects etc?

- Which is the better scholarship?

- The course at LSE is a little too niche (I had foolishly put Dev Studies as my 2nd choice and therefore couldn't get it!!!).

But from all my interactions with other people, I've heard that the Commonwealth Scholarship is more prestigious than the Felix and can open more doors for me career-wise.( Both scholarships provide for full tuition fees as well as living expenses) Should I therefore settle for an MSc in NGOs and Development at LSE even though I would have preferred an MSc in Development Studies?

Any help towards this will be welcome. Hope everyone gets thru their courses in LSE.

Apologies if this belongs onto another thread, please guide me accordingly!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 226
I've been holding an unconditional offer for over a year now...deferred my entry in 2010 so I could make some cash in the meantime to pay for life in London and the course. Still won't make enough though...

Anyone here really stinking rich that'll hand me a couple Gs?
I would be extremely grateful.

Plus I'm a member of the Nigerian royal family and I'll make sure you'll get your money back plus more.
Reply 227
I have a conditional offer for MSc European Political Economy, in the European Institute.

I'm a current LSE student, so I know the system pretty well if anyone has burning questions.
Reply 228
Original post by franny
hello everyone...I was following this thread for a while, and now I have a question. I was offered a place at Economic History phd program two weeks ago. I am crazy about it. Though the funding part confuses me a lot. I am an overseas student and cannot afford both the tuition fee and living expenses. I am hoping to receive a full tuition fee waiver (or something close to it) and I know it is really difficult but what is the chance of obtaining LSE phd scholarship as an Economic history phd student? My academic backgroun is not bad (I've graduated first in the class from my first degree and have two masters)

Does anybody have any idea?

I am a person in the same situation.Somebody help me to fund my studies(through financial or intellectual solution).PLZ,I would be very thankful.
Reply 229
Hi.
You might have had this convo already but what do current postgrads think about getting a job during study? I'm doing social policy and planning MSc (anyone else?) and am gonna need some extra dolla, but is it all going to be a bit hectic? I heard LSE is pretty good at pointing you in the right direction for part time work? Cheers.
Reply 230
Original post by Balexa
Hi.
You might have had this convo already but what do current postgrads think about getting a job during study? I'm doing social policy and planning MSc (anyone else?) and am gonna need some extra dolla, but is it all going to be a bit hectic? I heard LSE is pretty good at pointing you in the right direction for part time work? Cheers.

I'll certainly be getting part time work. I'm sure it will be hectic, but I've always worked as well while studying. They have a careers service office that may be able to help, but I'm pretty sure it will be very busy around early October...
I guess I put the previous post in the wrong thread. I asked: How many from PhD Economic History so far?
Reply 232
Hello...I am new to this forum. I am from the U.S. & will be entering the MSc Accounting Organisations & Institutions this fall. I have a conditional offer & expect to fulfill the conditions. I have a couple of questions and was hoping somebody could answer them! Thank you in advance...

In terms of accommodations, I'm not sure what to do. Since being accepted in February I've done a lot of research on housing in London (in addition to studying there for a semester in Fall 2009). I lived in Dorset Square in Marylebone & loved it. I know a bit about neighborhoods within Central London, but not much else. Ideally, I'd love to live alone and meet people through the school but I'm worried about the social life not living up to my expectations and thus me spending too much time alone. I've applied for Grosvenor House but its pretty damn expensive! Northumberland House is my 2nd preference, but would probably elect to live privately if I got this.

Aside from this, I've been offered a one bedroom flat nearest to Bow Road tube stop in East London for 500 pounds/month aside from electricity. Based on my limited understanding this is a generous offer. My concern is making the most of my time in London. Is this far enough from "Central London" that I'll be too far to really enjoy it? Also, is this neighborhood lively at all or is it just dead quiet? I'm pretty lost about what to think about it.

Also, is Interlet/Flatland a bad service?

Any advice any of you could give me would be much appreciated. Again, thank you in advance!
Reply 233
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted for Economic History PhD program and I like to ask something about the Research Studentship Scheme.

The deadline for submiting the application form for RSS is 10 June, and they will notify about the results, by the end of the August.

What is the chance of getting a studentship and what is the avarage amount? Do you think that applying early or late (of course before 10 June) makes any difference on your chance of being funded?

Thanks a lot,
Original post by franny
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted for Economic History PhD program and I like to ask something about the Research Studentship Scheme.

The deadline for submiting the application form for RSS is 10 June, and they will notify about the results, by the end of the August.

What is the chance of getting a studentship and what is the avarage amount? Do you think that applying early or late (of course before 10 June) makes any difference on your chance of being funded?

Thanks a lot,

Hi, we'll see soon I guess:smile: . Apparently some get the tuition funded.
Reply 235
Hello all,

I am one of those offer holders planning to attend LSE next year that will be taking out lots of loans. I'm looking into LSE or intercollegiate housing. Are any other postgrads looking at intercollegiate housing? I realize it's dominantly undergatuates, but it seems more economical to go that route. Thoughts, opinions, or plans from others in the "pinching pennys" group?

Thanks!
Reply 236
Original post by ElizaRae
Hello all,

I am one of those offer holders planning to attend LSE next year that will be taking out lots of loans. I'm looking into LSE or intercollegiate housing. Are any other postgrads looking at intercollegiate housing? I realize it's dominantly undergatuates, but it seems more economical to go that route. Thoughts, opinions, or plans from others in the "pinching pennys" group?

Thanks!

:confused: By intercollegiate you mean the UOL halls, right? Most of them seemed to have much higher rents than the LSE housing. Why not look at the cheapest LSE halls?
Reply 237
Original post by goewyn
:confused: By intercollegiate you mean the UOL halls, right? Most of them seemed to have much higher rents than the LSE housing. Why not look at the cheapest LSE halls?

I have been looking and their rents aren't too much higher and most include meals which would save a lot of money and time. I think i'm going to go with making my first choices the cheaper/meals included LSE halls as you suggested though.
Reply 238
Just received an email with links to pages just for offer holders. I applied for MSc in Social Anthropology... in the page I got a list of preliminary readings (seems like I'm getting homework earlier than I thought), and the list of courses active next year. Of course all the ones I thought would be most interesting got cancelled for next year and I'm left wondering at my luck...
Reply 239
Original post by pherio
Just received an email with links to pages just for offer holders. I applied for MSc in Social Anthropology... in the page I got a list of preliminary readings (seems like I'm getting homework earlier than I thought), and the list of courses active next year. Of course all the ones I thought would be most interesting got cancelled for next year and I'm left wondering at my luck...

That happened to me too with political theory :frown: They cut a subject on liberal political thought that a lot of people were interested in. I know someone who is also starting your course in September :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending