The Student Room Group

Wanting to start access course 2011

Hi im new to this site im just looking for some advice im wanting to start my access course but as i have no previous qualifcations, im going to do my level 2 maths and english which is what i have to do to get on my course. I guess im just worried incase im not clever enough i dont really have much confidence in myself, im 26, single parent, i just wondering if anyone had problems before they started. This is something i wanted i really want to do but i guess im scared .. any advice would be nice thank you
Reply 1
You shouldn't worry so much.:smile:
I'm currently on an access course myself and it is aimed at "mature students" who have been out of education for a while. The tutors are very supportive and help pupils individually, according to their needs.

This doesn't mean that the access course is an easy way into university. I myself was forced to quit my A-Levels due to personal circumstances and started the access course only after being out of education for 1 year. The course covers the main aspects that are covered at A-Levels, though within 1 year instead of two, therefore it is very intense and hard work. The course is do-able for anybody that completely sets their mind to education again and is willing to work hard and motivate themselves. Compared to doing your A-Levels, there is no teacher constantly at your neck telling you you have to get your work done. This is something you have to do yourself on an Access Course, making it more challenging, though being a better preparation for University itself than A-Levels are.

As I said, don't worry, be excited. The Access course is only impossible if you haven't set your mind to it. As a single mother I'm sure you have learnt to be independant and knuckle down and do whatever is necessary even if its unpleasant or hard work. Thats all you need.

Good luck with your course! My advice: start looking at what you want to do at uni asap. Knowing what the Unis expect of you grade-wise gives you a nice goal to work towards and you'll be able to gain more knowledge with you personal statement, which will be the main focus at the beginning of the year.

All the best
Original post by sarah_princess
Hi im new to this site im just looking for some advice im wanting to start my access course but as i have no previous qualifcations, im going to do my level 2 maths and english which is what i have to do to get on my course. I guess im just worried incase im not clever enough i dont really have much confidence in myself, im 26, single parent, i just wondering if anyone had problems before they started. This is something i wanted i really want to do but i guess im scared .. any advice would be nice thank you

Great to hear that your considering studying whilst having the responsibilties of parenthood on your shoulders. Me and my partner had to put off studying for a while due to looking after our newborn but it for us is time to get back into education. We both studied A-levels and aimed for a degree in English however as we grew with our life experiences we now both hope to study Access courses to get into healthcare. Best thing to do is research what you would like to do at uni and what it is you want as a career in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending