The Student Room Group

Photography in Graphic Design portfolio?

Obviously I have design work for my portfolio (digital because our print room has been out of use for months) but would a few pieces of my photography be acceptable inside my portfolio?
or would they just think 'why didn't you apply for photography?'

I have a few pieces of Life Drawing stuff and two (unfinished) sketchbooks.
Applying to:

Falmouth
Brighton
Bath Spa
UWIC
Glamorgan

and how much stuff did you take to interviews?
I'm also applying for graphic design and i've got quite a bit of photography in my portfolio =) it should be fine, just shows that you can do other stuff apart from design. Isn't photography used a lot in graphic design anyway?
Reply 2
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
I'm also applying for graphic design and i've got quite a bit of photography in my portfolio =) it should be fine, just shows that you can do other stuff apart from design. Isn't photography used a lot in graphic design anyway?

depends, how much on average? because if i can get away with it 50% would make my portfolio alot easier.
Original post by DesignFreak
depends, how much on average? because if i can get away with it 50% would make my portfolio alot easier.

Well i've got about 5/15 pieces that are photography if that helps, not sure about 50%!
Reply 4
ah that's cool then, thanks.
(:
5 seems acceptable, i might push this a bit xD
what else have you got in yours?
should i take some life drawing with me as part of my portfolio, or just take it on the side along with my sketchbooks.
ah that's cool then, thanks.
(:
5 seems acceptable, i might push this a bit xD
what else have you got in yours?
should i take some life drawing with me as part of my portfolio, or just take it on the side along with my sketchbooks.

Lool =p
I've got some still lifes from last year, some commissions that I was given (posters and stuff), two paintings, and some recent illustration and typography work.
I think you could just put the life drawing in the portfolio as extra pieces, because they might think youre trying to sneak extra stuff in if you bring it seperately with your sketchbooks xD Def take it though i think =)
Are the pieces on your portfolio link the ones that are going in your printed portfolio if you dont mind me asking?
And are you doing a foundation at the moment?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
Lool =p
I've got some still lifes from last year, some commissions that I was given (posters and stuff), two paintings, and some recent illustration and typography work.
I think you could just put the life drawing in the portfolio as extra pieces, because they might think youre trying to sneak extra stuff in if you bring it seperately with your sketchbooks xD Def take it though i think =)
Are the pieces on your portfolio link the ones that are going in your printed portfolio if you dont mind me asking?
And are you doing a foundation at the moment?

Some of them will be, I have some new pieces i'm working on towards my newest project also (hopefully)
I'm currently doing a BTEC in Fine Art.
Some of them will be, I have some new pieces i'm working on towards my newest project also (hopefully)
I'm currently doing a BTEC in Fine Art.

Ohh cool! =) Well good luck with applying =)
Reply 8
Obviously I have design work for my portfolio (digital because our print room has been out of use for months) but would a few pieces of my photography be acceptable inside my portfolio?
or would they just think 'why didn't you apply for photography?'

I have a few pieces of Life Drawing stuff and two (unfinished) sketchbooks.
Applying to:

Falmouth
Brighton
Bath Spa
UWIC
Glamorgan

and how much stuff did you take to interviews?

hey, when i went to my southampton interview the guy commented that i may have included a bit too much photography and they were only like 5 pages on the end.

Quick Reply

Latest