The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
What are people's views on it? Better than Oblivion?

I got it today on pre-order but haven't really had chance to get into it yet, just finished the 1st quest. I'm not so sure but then again I'm always cold towards games at first, I didn't like Fallout 3 or New Vegas the first time I played them but ended up loving them.

Its ace!
Reply 2241

I got it today on pre-order but haven't really had chance to get into it yet, just finished the 1st quest. I'm not so sure but then again I'm always cold towards games at first, I didn't like Fallout 3 or New Vegas the first time I played them but ended up loving them.

I think it has a much better feel to it than oblivion. Oblivion is like 14th century princes and castles, Skyrim feels gritty and feudal.

On a side note does anyone else keep getting told by NPCs they don't look well?
Is it being very glitchy for anyone else? It has already crashed twice on me.

And trying to scroll though options seems to be very unresponsive.
(edited 12 years ago)

These definitely aren't games you can judge based on the first couple of hours, they always take some getting into. I'm reserving judgement on which is better until then, but loving it so far [=
Original post by tpowertj

Yes! I have no idea why though. I thought I had a disease or was encumbered by weight or something but I have nothing of the sort. I have no idea what they mean. Maybe its just how they refer to a certain race? What race are you?

Original post by Mockery
Is it being very glitchy for anyone else? It has already crashed twice on me.

What platform?
Original post by Facticity
Look bro, its better than being some Khajit / orc hybrid like your own character :pierre:

I'm a handsome Nord tbh with a blue urban tattoo on my cheek. :pierre:

You're far too involved in your own world, man. Magic on ES has never been huge or spectacular, its always been subtle and compact yet powerful. I love it, can't wait to get my invisibility spell back, then the night and I will be reunited. Stealth + invisibility + powerful magic = x16 sneak attack.

Thing is, skill tree doesn't even tell you what spells you can get. Just 'medium level' or whatever. I rekon there will be tons of spells.

Doesn't excuse not being able to set weapons on fire or transmit through alternate means. One review did mention he found oil on the ground and set fire to it. Have yet to come across a pool of oil in Skyrim. :colonhash:

I suppose the variety of spells makes up for it. I would have liked other options though eg. shooting fireballs faster, making bigger fireballs etc

Then again, I guess you're cheating with the guide and are going to play the game like a a dragon who's had their soul shouted out and then replaced by a law reading automaton snake. You heard :colonhash:

:rofl2:

I told you, I cannot and do not lie :pierre: That was 1 time tbh and I said I didn't want to continue because you were obviously the third wheel but you insisted. So don't try to blame me SITGGI :angry:

Who has a pager? Don't mix up technology with responsibility.

Uh-huh. Whatever makes you and Hype sleep at night. :pierre:
Reply 2246
Yes! I have no idea why though. I thought I had a disease or was encumbered by weight or something but I have nothing of the sort. I have no idea what they mean. Maybe its just how they refer to a certain race? What race are you?

Maybe it's do with becoming a Vampire? I dunno, that's where the "You don't look so well" line seems familiar (from Oblivion). I wonder if you can become a vampire in Skyrim.
Original post by Quintro
Omg... has anyone completed 'Hitting the Books' in the College of Winterhold quest line?

Spoiler

The boss in bottom level who teleports a lot? Breezed through that.

*On the easiest difficulty level. :pierre:

Spoiler

What platform?

PS3
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I'm a handsome Nord tbh with a blue urban tattoo on my cheek. :pierre:

The envious always strive for what they can never have :daydreaming:

Doesn't excuse not being able to set weapons on fire or transmit through alternate means. One review did mention he found oil on the ground and set fire to it. Have yet to come across a pool of oil in Skyrim. :colonhash:

There was a stream of oil in the cavern of the intro about 20 mins into the game, literally unmissable. You're so blind. And it just proves that, that guide is a big waste of money if it can't tell you something so rudimentary :pierre:

I suppose the variety of spells makes up for it. I would have liked other options though eg. shooting fireballs faster, making bigger fireballs etc

This I can agree with however spells on ES are already over powered. I mean I was virtually untouchable on Oblivion with my dark elf - sneak on invisibility, creep up, hit for x16 damage, then use a stun spell for 40 secs. Then I just cut them until they died and if they got up, just stun again. Its almost too easy :pierre:

:rofl2:

I made myself laugh with that one tbh :teehee:

Uh-huh. Whatever makes you and Hype sleep at night. :pierre:

I don't know how Hype works, but I certainly don't need to have a philosophical discussion to sleep. Certainly, not on xbox live :no:

Mockery
PS3

Don't know then, sorry. For consoles, it shouldn't be crashing. There isn't anything that should crash. If it does, its indicative of either of 2 things. 1) Your disk is messed. Or 2) Your console is messed. Thats the extent to which problems occur for consoles as opposed to PCs. Not sure what you could do other than keep trying / get another disk if it keeps crashing. Also, check online, PS3 might be suffering from a error which may be fixed by a soon-to-come patch.

zxh800
Maybe it's do with becoming a Vampire? I dunno, that's where the "You don't look so well" line seems familiar (from Oblivion). I wonder if you can become a vampire in Skyrim.

I think you can, I don't fully remember. But considering people were saying it to me within a few hours of starting play, I highly doubt its that anyway. I'm waiting for werewolf transformation to come.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2250

I think you can, I don't fully remember. But considering people were saying it to me within a few hours of starting play, I highly doubt its that anyway. I'm waiting for werewolf transformation to come.

:eek: Werewolves?!?!??! That's insane, I'm getting this game as soon as I'm free. I have such a huge backlog of games to play as well. Looks like this one just got pushed up the list.
Five minutes after the tutorial I got attacked by vampires walking randomly near Whiterun. Got vampirism. Jesus Christ.

Managed to find a shrine to remove it, but still.
Original post by zxh800
:eek: Werewolves?!?!??! That's insane, I'm getting this game as soon as I'm free. I have such a huge backlog of games to play as well. Looks like this one just got pushed up the list.

Werewolves and vampires are playable and fightable :yes:

Original post by Greeny442
Five minutes after the tutorial I got attacked by vampires walking randomly near Whiterun. Got vampirism. Jesus Christ.

Managed to find a shrine to remove it, but still.

Now that I think about it, I did fight a dodgy looking bandit after the into on the way to Whiterun... I probably do have vamprism then...
Original post by tpowertj
I think it has a much better feel to it than oblivion. Oblivion is like 14th century princes and castles, Skyrim feels gritty and feudal.

What platform?

It's a disease. I didn't get why they were saying that to me for ages. You can see what it is by going under magic, active effects. Mine was called 'brain rot'.

Well now I won't get diseases because

Spoiler

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The boss in bottom level who teleports a lot? Breezed through that.

*On the easiest difficulty level. :pierre:

Spoiler

I've done it now! :smile:

I couldn't do it because I lost all my mana in less than 5 seconds and although I completed it, I survived with about 2 health remaining... safe to say I was happy after trying it for like half an hour. :biggrin:
Nearly 12 hours straight.... :sigh:

Any other Bretons? I'm guessing not....
I'm not enjoying this Blood Dragon. Half my health left, almost killed it. BAM it does a fatality hit on me. Dead. I do not like it.

Edit: Dragon soul absorbed. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

It's better than Oblivion in pretty much every way, as far as I can see. Graphically and gameplay wise, obviously... but also the levelling system, enemy level scaling, the depth and realism of the environment, more realistic characters that actually feel "real" (Oblivions were often on the generic side...), better quests, better dungeons, better everything. Only complaints so far are that there needs to be a better quick-switch function for spells / blade to bow etc., the dialogue system (on PC) can be slightly unresponsive to the mouse, and Mammoths seem to be glitchy. I've seen one disappear spontaneously, and one shoot directly up into the sky before crashing back down :eek:. I'm sure most of that will be patched (flying mammoths) or modded (quick-switching) soon enough, though.
Original post by Bhumbauze
It's better than Oblivion in pretty much every way, as far as I can see. Graphically and gameplay wise, obviously... but also the levelling system, enemy level scaling, the depth and realism of the environment, more realistic characters that actually feel "real" (Oblivions were often on the generic side...), better quests, better dungeons, better everything. Only complaints so far are that there needs to be a better quick-switch function for spells / blade to bow etc., the dialogue system (on PC) can be slightly unresponsive to the mouse, and Mammoths seem to be glitchy. I've seen one disappear spontaneously, and one shoot directly up into the sky before crashing back down :eek:. I'm sure most of that will be patched (flying mammoths) or modded (quick-switching) soon enough, though.

Although I appreciate the work that went into it, I don't like the way Skyrim's map works. It's cumbersome and the angle isn't ideal. In that sense, I slightly prefer Oblivion's more bland and basic map.
Also, in a way I prefer Oblivion's character creation, it gave much more of a close up on the face so you could see what you were doing. I have no idea what colour I picked for my character's eyes this morning, I think they were blue, but it was too far away to tell. That said, obliviously, Skyrim's characters are way more realistic.
Yeah i dislike the map screen, and i would really like a way to view the 3D character model when equipping armor and the like.

Quick Reply

Latest