The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hanvyj

Original post by Hanvyj
How do you know whether you have a bounty? I killed the witnesses (a chicken) in the process of my crime (killing a chicken) but I have no idea if I have a bounty or not :/

It will say, top left of screen. That chicken thing is so annoying lol its one of the huge amount of bugs. Its not surprising a game this big has bugs, but is it me, or are there an abnormal amount of bugs in Skyrim as opposed to its predecessors?
Original post by Jimbo1234
So, why have they done away with the local map system (so you can find specific houses), dumbed down levelling for the new generation of retard gamers, and the graphics are sadly hideous thanks to the adbundant lack of shadows and some of the worst textures I've seen in a long time :angry:

Perks are a nice addition though, along with smithing and the great addition of new spells.

Local map is definitely there, not sure what the button for it is on PC but it definitely exists.
My game got dispatched early on Thursday and still hasn't arrived. Why is God punishing me?!
Reply 2283
Original post by Facticity
It will say, top left of screen. That chicken thing is so annoying lol its one of the huge amount of bugs. Its not surprising a game this big has bugs, but is it me, or are there an abnormal amount of bugs in Skyrim as opposed to its predecessors?

I've noticed quite a few, specifically trying to buy things - when you change to a different category you just get a blank screen and have to start again. Happens all the time.

Also, I hate the menus - so awful. Can tell its just a ported console menu, how long would it take to make a dedicated PC one rather than this mashup...

It said when my bounty went up, and decreased - I didn't do the maths. If it is supposed to stay there if its not zero then I don't have any. yey!

Gonna have to find a place to sell all this stolen goods...
Reply 2284
Original post by Jimbo1234
So, why have they done away with the local map system (so you can find specific houses), dumbed down levelling for the new generation of retard gamers, and the graphics are sadly hideous thanks to the adbundant lack of shadows and some of the worst textures I've seen in a long time :angry:

Perks are a nice addition though, along with smithing and the great addition of new spells.

To get the local map you go press "L" from the larger map. I don't know why its not the other way around like everything else...
Reply 2285
Heading off into town shortly to try and get a copy. Might be the first time I've gone there during the weekend in months- probably be more of a trek then the game :mmm:

Btw can you make your own arrows via the crafting/something else abilities? I have a feeling I might use a bow a lot, and I've repeatedly heard that arrows are rare.

Every google result was related to the arrow glitch and not what I was looking for :sigh:
Original post by cambo211
Yeah i dislike the map screen, and i would really like a way to view the 3D character model when equipping armor and the like.

These are the two things that bug me the most in this game definitely. The map which I think everyone dislikes and the equipment section for it's lack of categorisation and 3D character model display.

Other than that With 15 hours down I haven't come across any other major problems, the odd graphics glitch where someone sweeping impales themselves on their broom. But nothing truly game spoiling.

Original post by Truered
Heading off into town shortly to try and get a copy. Might be the first time I've gone there during the weekend in months- probably be more of a trek then the game :mmm:

Btw can you make your own arrows via the crafting/something else abilities? I have a feeling I might use a bow a lot, and I've repeatedly heard that arrows are rare.

Every google result was related to the arrow glitch and not what I was looking for :sigh:

I play as a Wood Elf stealth character and use the bow almost exclusively with dual wield daggers for close combat, and I haven't had any problems with finding arrows and the shops sell plenty as well. A number of enemies in dungeons are archers so will carry lootable bows and arrows for you :smile: Plus you can retrieve some arrows from corpses and re-use.

Haven't really explored black smithing much yet so can't comment on crafting arrows. But just wanted to say you wont have any problems with running out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2287
Original post by Just Josh
HELP PLEASE!:

For the last hour or so I have had an arrow stuck right directly through my character's privates. It's hilarious but its getting annoying and I can't get it out! i'm on PS3, can anyone help? I have tried dying, equipping and unequipping everything. Any help?

Save and reload.
To echo what people said, the map on here is really annoying. I'm unsure as to whether I like the levelling. It isn't any more simple than Oblivion, its an expansion of the Obvlion one and in some ways more difficult to use as its less straight foward but at the same time, I think that it does make for more freedom and depth. Hmm.
I like the new leveling system an awful lot. I was going to play as a ranged/one-handed Wood-Elf, and whilst I still score highly in those, I've been throwing perk-points at Destruction too. Which feels a LOT more hard-hitting.

Just on my way to fetch a horn from a tomb now. Ran into my first Sabre-Tooth cat, too, that was ****ing tense. Fighting the Dragon was easier then that...

At the same moment I drew a bead on the sabre when it first came barraling down the hill towards me, a man started talking to me, gave me something and then was subsequently shot by me (I'd already drawn my bow) and then the sabre tore him to pieces. Not sure what he wanted, I couldn't catch the objective when the sabre's jaws where wrapped around his throat.

Ahh well, on I march. I have fallen in love with the axe/sword combo, though. :colone:

I really like the map. I think its brilliant! :woo:
Original post by Just Josh
HELP PLEASE!:

For the last hour or so I have had an arrow stuck right directly through my character's privates. It's hilarious but its getting annoying and I can't get it out! i'm on PS3, can anyone help? I have tried dying, equipping and unequipping everything. Any help?

I had a similar thing with ice bolts on xbox. People on the interwebz suggest going into first person and getting hit by more arrows to force it out. I went back to a previous save.
I haven't been anticipating this game like most on this thread. In fact I only recently found out about this game coming out but I think I might actually buy it, which is big for me because I don't buy many games, a game has to be special for me to buy it.

Anyway I enjoyed Oblivion and other rpg games such as Fable and Mass Effect.

Is it possible to be like a skiller in this game and just train non-combat skills and make lots of money before completing the main quest?
One thing I like about this game is that I've had to play more tactically. It's not just about slashing everyone to pieces, healing, slash the next guy to pieces, healing. No, I'm far to weak to kill some of these guys.

Have enemy by edge of the cliff... FUS RO DAH! Some seriously strong enemies have met their death by cliff.

Have enemy chasing, traps ahead... WULD! Fly through the area, and traps hit the enemy.

Fighting enemy, won't win, door behind me with a switch to open/close... FUS RO DAH! Before enemy gets up, close door, heal heal heal, and repeat.

I was initially sceptical, but this Shouts are great.
Original post by KingGoonIan
I haven't been anticipating this game like most on this thread. In fact I only recently found out about this game coming out but I think I might actually buy it, which is big for me because I don't buy many games, a game has to be special for me to buy it.

Anyway I enjoyed Oblivion and other rpg games such as Fable and Mass Effect.

Is it possible to be like a skiller in this game and just train non-combat skills and make lots of money before completing the main quest?

Yes... you can mine / hunt / craft your way to a fortune if you want, lots of options. You could even just chop firewood for days if you're so inclined... you'd probably be able to make millions if you did it for long enough :biggrin:
:woo: mine finally arrived!

Agree with the map complaints. Cloth? What? They should have called it 'parchment' or something.

Still... It's finally here! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Bhumbauze
Yes... you can mine / hunt / craft your way to a fortune if you want, lots of options. You could even just chop firewood for days if you're so inclined... you'd probably be able to make millions if you did it for long enough :biggrin:

Cool I do love freedom in RPGs.
Original post by Facticity

Ended up falling through a flipping pebble earlier near labyrinth and under the map... Had to restart, which brings another annoyance, it doesn't autosave in game enough, or not as much as oblivion did. I ended up so far back.... I got bored and called it a day, lasted an hour before I went straight back on it though :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Lydia just died :frown:
Original post by ilyking
yes there is you plum

there is no taxi/teleport spells so you have to run manually :sigh:

Funny that.

There appears to be a carriage at the entrance to every city that will transport you between each city.
Reply 2299
Killed a mamoth, level 3 on hardest.

Involved lots of running around in rocks. Hardest part was at the end, I don't know if all monsters do it but when its health gets really low it regenerates fast - and runs away (about 20 meters before its health get back to to about 10%) then turns and attacks again, making it really hard to wear down. Unless you can damage it faster than the regen rate at the end, while chasing it you can't win.

I was sad that my spells were doing more damage than my bow or sword, which I had been using since then :frown: (I suppose my magica ran out pretty fast though so didn't do much more damage)

Quick Reply

Latest