The Student Room Group

BBC News: "Timing of A-level exams could be changed"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12199669

The government is considering overhauling the timing of A-level exams and results so pupils can apply to universities with their grades.

The new system would mean students no longer having to rely on predicted grades

But he said: "Instead of speculative applications based on possible A-level grades everyone is dealing with how (a pupil) performs."

I'm not sure I understand what the government are proposing? Can anyone shed any light on what timings are perhaps being considered?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It does sound a bit weird as if you get your results around January, allowing you to then apply and go that September then you would have a gang of 17/18 year olds with nothing to do for 9 months :lolwut:
I don't really understand how that would work, surely you'd have massive unemployment as people have nothing to do all day.
Or... you could do things in the gap.

more study
getting ready for uni
work experience
volunteering
self employment
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Freshers warm up.
Original post by fluteflute

Original post by fluteflute
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12199669

I'm not sure I understand what the government are proposing? Can anyone shed any light on what timings are perhaps being considered?

Just implement the bloody Cambridge Pre-U and be done with it.

Either that, or stick with the current system. It's fine as it is really.
Reply 6
Original post by morecambebay
Or... you could do things in the gap.

more study
getting ready for uni
work experience
volunteering
self employment

You can do that from May until September already. Why do you need another 3/4 months of it? Especially when a significant portion will be under 18, making it hard for them to get jobs, travel or have fun.
Reply 7
Dear God, why can't Gove remove his head out of his arse and actually do something that's needed?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mess.
You can do that from May until September already. Why do you need another 3/4 months of it? Especially when a significant portion will be under 18, making it hard for them to get jobs, travel or have fun.

I didnt say that it was needed. What I said was that it isnt true that students would have nothing to do.

Edit: If students want to apply for uni with their actual grades, they need to accept that there is going to be some extra time hanging around.
(edited 13 years ago)
Or beef up AS Level and base offers on AS results when applying during A Level year.

Just like how the Scottish unis base their offers on Highers in fifth year.
Reply 10
Just thought about this a bit.

At the moment then offers are guided by AS results. The government wants to scrap AS results and return to exams at the end of the course. Therefore the government has a problem. Hence this suggestion.
Reply 11
They might try something ridiculous like make universities have their academic year as a calendar year or something :facepalm2:
Reply 12
I like the idea of applying with grades achieved rather than predicted ones to be fair.
Reply 13
are these 'changes' going to start on the 2012 entry
Reply 14
Sounds good.
Reply 15
Original post by Skaterkid
are these 'changes' going to start on the 2012 entry

It's only at the White Paper stage, and the article says that "The overhaul is being considered for the forthcoming White Paper due to be published in the next few months." So I'd say no.
Reply 16
Original post by im so academic
Just implement the bloody Cambridge Pre-U and be done with it.

Either that, or stick with the current system. It's fine as it is really.

agreed
Reply 17
Its a brilliant idea.

The problem it solves is that a lot of people are too naive and misinformed to realise how important GCSEs are to their university applications. Give people some time to mature and get some solid a-levels and you have a more level playing field. You also have two chances to find those candidates who genuinely are really bad.

Not to mention all the dodgy predictions...
Original post by Vazzyb

Original post by Vazzyb
Its a brilliant idea.

The problem it solves is that a lot of people are too naive and misinformed to realise how important GCSEs are to their university applications. Give people some time to mature and get some solid a-levels and you have a more level playing field. You also have two chances to find those candidates who genuinely are really bad.

Not to mention all the dodgy predictions...

What if you got A*s in unrelated subjects that have nothing to do with your university subject?

I propose entrance tests (like Oxbridge and other universities have).
Reply 19
Original post by im so academic
What if you got A*s in unrelated subjects that have nothing to do with your university subject?

I propose entrance tests (like Oxbridge and other universities have).

All universities have to do is say:

We will consider applications from students with A*s in Maths only.

Rather than having the current 'UCAS season' you just emphasise that people make a note of the course they want to apply for.

I think that maturity should be there in 17-18 year olds.

Using coursework done when you were just 14-15 (year 10) to have a big impact on your university place, in my opinion, is much sillier.

Quick Reply

Latest