The Student Room Group

Is this illegal and if I do it anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

Basically I want to start selling clothes in Brick Lane to make some money, and last time I was there I saw people selling thier old clothes on the pavement, no table or chair, just on a blanket on the ground. Licenses are available for street trading, but they're expensive and there's a lot of forms involved, so I don't want to get one. I read up about street trading and licenses and i found this:

Tables and chairs licence
You need a licence to place tables and chairs on a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area.
A licence will cost £285.
Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may be dealt with by the police.

Illegal street trading
The erection of signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal.
However, produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require planning permission.

but if i'm not going to use a table, chair or a sign is this still illegal? How safe would it be for me to just go along next Sunday and start selling old clothes on the pavement?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Ever heard of ebay?
Original post by JosieMcfeene
Ever heard of ebay?

ebay sucks! there's charges to sell on there and it's a bit too technical, plus i'd have to package everything and go to the post office. And nothing seems to be selling on ebay at the moment. In Brick Lane on Sunday there's hoards of people, and most of them are there to buy vintage. I have thought this through.
Reply 4
Ever heard of ebay?

this
Do a Del Boy and get ready to run if you see the po'lice, you'll know when to go when you see a load of Chinese people clutching DVDs run past.
Reply 6
Ever heard of ebay?

Lol. Was about to say the same:

Sell them on the Internet, through school friends, advertise on Facebook, Send emails to all friends,...

I see loads of people advertising on FB and send emails to all their friends with images and stuff.

Add a picture and tag as many people as possible on it (on facebook).

So many other ways.
Original post by aysh786az
Why don't you just ask the people that sell stuff on the blankets? It's the best way to find out :smile:

I will if I get no luck on the internet. It takes an hour and £6 to get there though
Don't know the actual law but I would think the worst that could happen if you did it would be for someone to tell you to move.
Reply 9
Original post by Installation
Do a Del Boy and get ready to run if you see the po'lice, you'll know when to go when you see a load of Chinese people clutching DVDs run past.

:rofl:
This :biggrin:

On a serious note, street trading without a licence is illegal. The police will force you to leave and you may be fined and have your goods confiscated.
Doubt you would get fined or anything unless you repeatedly did it after being told to move several times.
Reply 11
Original post by hollyhollywood92
Basically I want to start selling clothes in Brick Lane to make some money, and last time I was there I saw people selling thier old clothes on the pavement, no table or chair, just on a blanket on the ground. Licenses are available for street trading, but they're expensive and there's a lot of forms involved, so I don't want to get one. I read up about street trading and licenses and i found this:

You need a licence to place tables and chairs on a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area.
Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may be dealt with by the police.

Illegal street trading
The erection of signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal.
However, produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require planning permission.

but if i'm not going to use a table, chair or a sign is this still illegal? How safe would it be for me to just go along next Sunday and start selling old clothes on the pavement?

Thanks!

afaik, you get warned twice and then fined.
Reply 12
There's nothing like the adrenaline rush when you sell tables and chairs.

I'll never forget my first time...
Can't you get fined for illegal trading or something?
And personally I probably wouldn't want to buy someone's old clothes that were laid out in a busy street on a blanket on the ground :s-smilie: What kind of stuff do you have?
car boot sale? or charity shops? (I knoiw you wont get money back if you give to charity shops....but you'll get rid of them easy enough :smile: )
Original post by alharrison4
Can't you get fined for illegal trading or something?
And personally I probably wouldn't want to buy someone's old clothes that were laid out in a busy street on a blanket on the ground :s-smilie: What kind of stuff do you have?

i buy people's old clothes! I have some hollister stuff, but most of it's just h&m and topshop and stuff like that. Maybe people won't buy anything, but I want to find out.
Original post by purple_starlight
car boot sale? or charity shops? (I knoiw you wont get money back if you give to charity shops....but you'll get rid of them easy enough :smile: )

But the point is, the people in Brick Lane all think it's cool to wear other people's old clothes, and they don't stick to what's in the high street shops. That's why they go there. You get a much more diverse range of customers at car boot sales and that's not what I need.
Reply 17
Original post by aysh786az
Why don't you just ask the people that sell stuff on the blankets? It's the best way to find out :smile:

'Excuse me, are you selling your stuff legally? I too would like to find a loophole in the law and sell with you'. :p: :wink:
Original post by hollyhollywood92

Illegal street trading

Thanks!

Pfffffft :rofl:

Sorry, you have no idea how bored I am right now...

:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
[QUOTE=hollyhollywood92;29465283]i buy people's old clothes! I have some hollister stuff, but most of it's just h&m and topshop and stuff like that. Maybe people won't buy anything, but I want to find out.

Am I the only one who finds this really tinky?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending