The Student Room Group

Is this illegal and if I do it anyway, what's the worst that can happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hollyhollywood92
Basically I want to start selling clothes in Brick Lane to make some money, and last time I was there I saw people selling thier old clothes on the pavement, no table or chair, just on a blanket on the ground. Licenses are available for street trading, but they're expensive and there's a lot of forms involved, so I don't want to get one. I read up about street trading and licenses and i found this:

Tables and chairs licence
You need a licence to place tables and chairs on a public highway, whether it be on the street or a pavement or a pedestrian area.
A licence will cost £285.
Any unlicensed use of the highway for tables and chairs is an obstruction and may be dealt with by the police.

Illegal street trading
The erection of signs or stalls for the sale of produce within the highway, including grass verges, is illegal.
However, produce can be sold from the land on which it is grown, but signs advertising such facilities must be clear of the highway and may require planning permission.

but if i'm not going to use a table, chair or a sign is this still illegal? How safe would it be for me to just go along next Sunday and start selling old clothes on the pavement?

Thanks!

You must be kidding me? Are you going to sell your used clothes?:rolleyes: Go back to sixth form.
Original post by alharrison4
Can't you get fined for illegal trading or something?
And personally I probably wouldn't want to buy someone's old clothes that were laid out in a busy street on a blanket on the ground :s-smilie: What kind of stuff do you have?

Hot stuff. Dildos? 1pound/unit.:colone: You are going to get wet in less than 60 seconds. PROVEN BY TH SELLER.:colone:
Original post by EskimoJo
'Excuse me, are you selling your stuff legally? I too would like to find a loophole in the law and sell with you'. :p: :wink:

I would like to find a loophole in the law and sell you two.:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by hollyhollywood92
i buy people's old clothes! I have some hollister stuff, but most of it's just h&m and topshop and stuff like that. Maybe people won't buy anything, but I want to find out.

hollyhollywood92
But the point is, the people in Brick Lane all think it's cool to wear other people's old clothes, and they don't stick to what's in the high street shops. That's why they go there. You get a much more diverse range of customers at car boot sales and that's not what I need.

Do you think that old topshop t-shirts count as vintage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending