The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 11 Edexcel - Solutions and Paper in the first post (Now On) + TIPS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ramin Gorji
well done I got that too, I did it as a mock in college. I lost a mark because i didn't know how to convert the second to last question answer in to hours minutes and second :P I still dont think i know it to be honest. Do you know how you find it??

Ohh I've got that one in front of me right now :P
Basically, you end up with t (hours)=2.098 OR t (hours) = 6.715...
If you multiply each by 60 you get the number of minutes.
Hence t = 125.88...minutes OR 402.691...minutes
The question asks to the nearest minute, so t = 126 OR 403 minutes.
I just worked out the rest "manually" - so we know 126 minutes = 2 hours something (t in hours was 2.098) just work out the remainder -> 126 minutes = 2 hours, (126 - (60x2)) minutes = 2 hours, 6 minutes.
Likewise, 403 minutes = 6 hours, (403 - (60x6)) minutes = 6 hours 43 minutes.

As t is the time after noon, the final result is 14:06 or 18:43.

Hope that helps :smile:, it's alright once you get it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ice_dragoness274
I just worked out the rest "manually" - so we know 126 minutes = 2 hours something (t in hours was 2.098) just work out the remainder -> 126 minutes = 2 hours, (126 - (60x2)) minutes = 2 hours, 6 minutes.

awwwwh thanks ice dragoness :smile: would plus rep you but used it too much today :P When i did it i put 2 hour s 098 minutes haha and my teacher just laughed at me :frown:
Original post by ice_dragoness274

Tip:
Easy way to convert minutes to hours on the calculator. Round to the nearest minute, divide by 60, and press the button that looks like this: º' ''
E.g. Take 126minutes. Do the calculation 126÷60, hit the º' '' button.
Original post by Sparkly-Star
That last question from the June 2010 paper was very hard! How you guys did it just... :shock:

Well part a, what you needed to do was factorise each expression and then parts cancel out

For b, when you do the log rules, you see that you get the same simplified expression when you put the fraction in one (LogA-Log B=Log (A/B) ) Then solve for x :yep:
Original post by cpdavis
Well part a, what you needed to do was factorise each expression and then parts cancel out

For b, when you do the log rules, you see that you get the same simplified expression when you put the fraction in one (LogA-Log B=Log (A/B) ) Then solve for x :yep:

woo hoo! go craig! :biggrin:
Original post by F1Addict
Tip:
Easy way to convert minutes to hours on the calculator. Round to the nearest minute, divide by 60, and press the button that looks like this: º' ''
E.g. Take 126minutes. Do the calculation 126÷60, hit the º' '' button.

o.o + rep for that.

Does anyone have any amazingly hard C3 questions that they've saved, or seen etc? Or what do you think the hardest papers were, just in case I don't have time to do them all - I want to do the hard ones.
Reply 186
Original post by M_I
Which solomon paper is the hardest? Which solomon paper is the closest to the real thing and hard? I only have time to do a few.

Thanks.

Anyone?
Original post by paprys92
Impressive, but my friend got
C1-100
C2-100
C3-98
C4-96
S1-100
M1-100
I know, she's mad :biggrin:

I got 98 in C1, 82 in C2 (been too lazy), 43 in S1 (haha, re-took for probably over 85) and I need high A for C3... I hope this Jan will be different - that it will be easier than usual, cuz my teacher said we won't get a chance to retake it in summer :/

My friend got 297/300 in AS as well he's sick lol, he got 100-C1, 100-C2 and 97 M1.
I got lower than what he got but it's mainly because of C2.
Original post by cpdavis
I just did the june 2010 paper, I got 74/75 :biggrin: But lost one mark for forgetting to put down a solution :facepalm:

I hate it when that happens. Though in the real exam I normally flop one question which messes me up for 100%(not C2 because that was a shocker which needs a resit.) Like in C1 I did the wrong series formula and that was a 4 mark question so I got 93 and M1 I flopped a 7 mark question so I got 91.
Reply 189
Quick question guys.

You know the question where you have to find the equation of a line e.g. a tangent, in the mark scheme they don't use this method, but are we allowed to use y = mx + c and plug in a known coordinate to get the line? If you get what I mean.
Original post by M_I
Quick question guys.

You know the question where you have to find the equation of a line e.g. a tangent, in the mark scheme they don't use this method, but are we allowed to use y = mx + c and plug in a known coordinate to get the line? If you get what I mean.

As long as you ger the right equation for the tangent in the form their asking, then you can use whatever method you like, unless it specifically said "show by calculus" :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by Andy Ftw
As long as you ger the right equation for the tangent in the form their asking, then you can use whatever method you like, unless it specifically said "show by calculus" :smile:

OK.
So "Show by calculus" wouldn't fit with my method?
The method I use:
So basically what I would do is find the gradient and we know a point on the line.

Example: (5,1) and m = 5

y = mx + c
y = 5x + c
1 = 5(5) + c
1 = 25 + c
c = - 24

equation of line:

y = 5x - 24
Original post by M_I
OK.
The method I use:
So basically what I would do is find the gradient and we know a point on the line.

y = mx + c
y = 5x + c
1 = 5(5) + c
1 = 25 + c
c = - 24

equation of line:

y = 5x - 24

How do you find the gradient in the first place? Because thats the part where you would use calculus/differention such as dy/dx of the curve -> put in x=5 -> find out m=5 then you can use method above for finding out the tangent like you did :smile: But if you found out m=5 by other method (most of the time it's probably not even possible) eg. using perpendicular lines etc. then of course that wouldn't count as using calculus/differention.

But don't worry really, they hardly ever specifiy a technique and I don't want to confuse you xD If you got a method, and it works you'll be good :smile:
Original post by Andy Ftw
How do you find the gradient in the first place? Because thats the part where you would use calculus/differention such as dy/dx of the curve -> put in x=5 -> find out m=5 then you can use method above for finding out the tangent like you did :smile: But if you found out m=5 by other method (most of the time it's probably not even possible) eg. using perpendicular lines etc. then of course that wouldn't count as using calculus/differention.

But don't worry really, they hardly ever specifiy a technique and I don't want to confuse you xD If you got a method, and it works you'll be good :smile:

I think he means doesn't use the formula y-y1=m(x-x1). He just uses y=mx+c using a point on the line (or the point itself).
Original post by anshul95
I think he means doesn't use the formula y-y1=m(x-x1). He just uses y=mx+c using a point on the line (or the point itself).

Yeah I think so, my bad I got a bit confused :s-smilie:

So to clarify your y=mx+c method is fine :tongue:
Original post by M_I
OK.
The method I use:

y = mx + c
y = 5x + c
1 = 5(5) + c
1 = 25 + c
c = - 24

equation of line:

y = 5x - 24

Yes thats fine lots of people use that method. :smile:
Reply 196
OK, thanks guys.
Just got a bucketload of papers from my teachers. Have 16 to do by monday, as well as revising for M2, physics and chemistry! xD . Though... I want some more.

The edexcel site is missing some papers and markschemes by the looks of it. Does anyone have the following (+markschemes)?:

Jan/June 03
Jan/June 04
Jan 05
June 07

Thanks!
Original post by ViralRiver
Just got a bucketload of papers from my teachers. Have 16 to do by monday, as well as revising for M2, physics and chemistry! xD . Though... I want some more.

The edexcel site is missing some papers and markschemes by the looks of it. Does anyone have the following (+markschemes)?:

Jan/June 03
Jan/June 04
Jan 05
June 07

Thanks!

Mine only start from june 05... but here's the june 07 one :smile:
Original post by supernova92
Mine only start from june 05... but here's the june 07 one :smile:

Thanks a lot ^_^ - just realised I don't have the Jan 07 ms either >< - would you happen to have that :colondollar: ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending