The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 11 Edexcel - Solutions and Paper in the first post (Now On) + TIPS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViralRiver
So is there no generic fool-proof way of transformations, or do we just hope for the best?

Also, I seem to be showing my method differently to the markscheme, but would I lose marks if I still get to the correct answer? For example, I simplify things in a different order to what they do, but I'm still showing a page worth of method and getting the right answer =\ .

Lastly, do you have any tips on getting the range for composite functions? I keep losing marks here as I don't know what to do all of the time =\ .

You shouldn't lose marks for different working.. I think the examiners who mark maths exams know a fair bit of maths themselves, so I think as long as you've done the right thing then you shouldn't.
Reply 581
Hi sorry if this has already been asked; can someone please explain to me how they got one of the answers in Q5d in the June 2010 paper... I have the x values for the turning points (7/2 and 1), but when I sub x=7/2 back into dy/dx I keep getting 0 instead of 9e^-7/2.... I dont know how they get that as mine comes out to 9e^-7/2 - 9e^-7/2 so that equals 0...? PLEASE HELP

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out :smile: substituted it back into original equation instead
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by Darthdevidem
Thanks!!

And I'm doing the specimen C3 paper from here (its on page 32)

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20Curriculum%202000/184697_GCE_Pure_Maths_C1_C4_Specimen_Paper_MkScheme.pdf

The paper is pretty hard, what would you say the grade boundaries would have been if it had been a real paper?

quite low it was a tough one; 56 for 80ums maybe
Reply 583
Original post by Soppe
hey for the chapter 7 stuff.. i.e double angle formula's or factor formula's... do we have to learn the proofs?

i mean i know the proof for sin squared plus cos squared = 1.... but i meant the rest... need to know the proofs?

thx

yes you need to know them
Original post by JH-QC
Hi sorry if this has already been asked; can someone please explain to me how they got one of the answers in Q5d in the June 2010 paper... I have the x values for the turning points (7/2 and 1), but when I sub x=7/2 back into dy/dx I keep getting 0 instead of 9e^-7/2.... I dont know how they get that as mine comes out to 9e^-7/2 - 9e^-7/2 so that equals 0...? PLEASE HELP

You're meant to put x=7/2 & x - 1 into the original equation, y = (2x^2-5x+2) e^-x, to get the y co-ords.

By subbing them into dy/dx, you're finding the value of the gradient (not the y co-ord), and you know value for dy/dx = 0, cause these are turning points so the gradiant must be zero! :wink:
Original post by Anita B. Studin
For the specimen paper q 6b) will I get marks if i say e^-(0.1t) tends towards 0, so T has to be greater than 20degrees? Or is that completely wrong?

Sorry, I know I've asked you a lot of questions tonight :colondollar:

that would be fine. That basically what the mark scheme says but without using limit language. I said the same thing.
Okay thanks.

Another question,

when doing the iteration questions, can I just list xn = 0.0002 whatever for each one, or do I need to show a method for that?

Also, when I show that a certain root is valid in some interval or whatever, can I leave my answers in standard form? For example

f(0.025) = 4.022 x 10^-3
f(0.035) = -3.20 x 10^-4

There is a change in sign of f(x) between the upper and lower bounds of alpha, and f is continuous, therefore alpha = 0.03 to 2 significant figures.

(Is that a sufficient conclusion?)
Reply 587
Original post by Anita B. Studin
For the specimen paper q 6b) will I get marks if i say e^-(0.1t) tends towards 0, so T has to be greater than 20degrees? Or is that completely wrong?

Sorry, I know I've asked you a lot of questions tonight :colondollar:

i would put in a -> 0 so 60e^-.1t >0 so ... >20 but yes you are correct
Has anyone done the June 2010 paper? I got really confused by an iteration question, it was x n-1 = 1/sin(x) + 1/4 and my answers were completely wrong even though I did exactly what it said. What happened?!
Reply 589
Could someone guide me on how to do this question please, thanks :biggrin:
hey guys, do you think there will be questions on the sinP+sinQ=2sin(P+Q/2)cos(P-Q/2) etc

I have done about 6 past papers, I am yet to see one where you are using this formula, they even give you this formula in the pink booklet
Reply 591
Original post by JH-QC

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out :smile: substituted it back into original equation instead

Shouldn't you sub into the orginal equation for C, not dy/dx because you're not looking for the gradient.
Original post by existinggirl
Has anyone done the June 2010 paper? I got really confused by an iteration question, it was x n-1 = 1/sin(x) + 1/4 and my answers were completely wrong even though I did exactly what it said. What happened?!

Maybe you are using radians instead of degress? Or vice versa
Reply 593
Original post by ViralRiver
So is there no generic fool-proof way of transformations, or do we just hope for the best?

Also, I seem to be showing my method differently to the markscheme, but would I lose marks if I still get to the correct answer? For example, I simplify things in a different order to what they do, but I'm still showing a page worth of method and getting the right answer =\ .

Lastly, do you have any tips on getting the range for composite functions? I keep losing marks here as I don't know what to do all of the time =\ .

outside the brackets is what you would expect, inside is the opposite.

if in doubt plug values in and plot some points.

check for restrictions in either domain, if so take them into account!

you can either go for a low chart,

find the range of g(x), use that as the domain for f(x) (including any pre-existing domain)

if there are no restrictions, sketching the graph of fg(x) is a good method to find its range.
Reply 594
Good luck to everyone

I look forward to seeing the solutions...:redface:
Original post by Andy Ftw
Try this http://graphsketch.com/ and compare the two :smile:

It really is x^2, just steeper, and that would be more than fine for a sketch if we had to for some reason draw it :P

THANK YOU!! I was looking for this website everywhere. Couldnt' find it
Thanks and good luck for C3
for those of you having trouble with graphy questions and differentiation questions, check out Wolfram Alpha. Very good tool.
Original post by existinggirl

Did you use radians? You might've gone wrong there.

Original post by rohanarora99a
Could someone guide me on how to do this question please, thanks :biggrin:

8)a) Differentiate.
b) x = sin y and y = arcsin x are the same thing. use the answer for and sub the x-value of the coordinate given to get a value for the gradient. Make sure you use radians!
c) Use y - y1 = m(x - x1)
d) Use the equation from part c and work out what x is when y = 0, to show the x-coordinate given.
e) umm, i'd draw a diagram to see the triangle and then go from there. :wink:
Original post by tinofmints
hey guys, do you think there will be questions on the sinP+sinQ=2sin(P+Q/2)cos(P-Q/2) etc

I have done about 6 past papers, I am yet to see one where you are using this formula, they even give you this formula in the pink booklet

actually I have seen a few. But yes your right very little - probably will come up this year then.
Hey, what time should I go to bed tonight?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending