The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joshiep
Sadly I think when federer loses the real him actually comes out... I think because he has won so much no-one has actually seen him angry and upset.. Look at how he reacted around 3 years ago to the umpire at the US... Swearing etc, just because he was losing he is usually so gracious in defeat but when it starts to become more apparent I think Nadal will slowly become the favourite on the tour... (He is slowly winning me over)

I take it you're refering to the 2009 US open final. Well you're actually wrong on that, his 'rant' towards the umpire at that final was on del potro being allowed to have a hawk-eye challenge even though he was technically too late, bear in mind that at that point in the match federer was up a break in the 3rd set and was about to go 2-1 up in sets, so how was he in a losing position in this instance?
Original post by Hood_Man
You are just ADORABLE! :h:

The actual quote that seems to have created such a frenzy is as follows:

"While Federer said: “I played a good doubles, and Stan not a bad one,” the remark was reported in English as Federer saying his partner played poorly."
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-02-13/8870.php

And not "Stan played a bad match..."

Sorry to interrupt this little circle jerk going on but... seriously? How many more times are we going to be sucked in by articles claiming Federer said this or Nadal said that, only for a completely innocent explanation to come out days later where it turns out that, heavens above, the press who reported the original story quoted something out of context or mistranslated something, and it just so happened to be a million times less dramatic than we thought?

I mean, when have the press ever done that... :rolleyes:

I smelt bull**** the moment I saw this circlejerking going on. Common sense alone should tell you that it is highly unlikely that a player like federer would commit such an obvious faux pas in such clear and concise terms as these media folks would have us believe. After all this guy has years of experience on answering questions in the press and being the 'perfect' role model as required by his many brand endorsements, more so than any other current player.
Reply 2682
Federer is just smoking Del Potro right now, leads 5-0 in the first set.

I want him to win but I feel awful every time Del Potro loses, same with Tsonga :frown:
Reply 2683
Fred peaking for yet another mickey mouse indoor hardcourt title. Enough of this aggressive baseliner play, I want to see some grinding. I miss Nad-Djok finals already.
Original post by Hood_Man
Federer is just smoking Del Potro right now, leads 5-0 in the first set.

I want him to win but I feel awful every time Del Potro loses, same with Tsonga :frown:

why?

he's still what? 23? and he has a us open title in his pockets already.
Reply 2685
Original post by internet tough guy
why?

he's still what? 23? and he has a us open title in his pockets already.

When he beat Fed at the US Open I thought he was going to go on and eventually dominate the sport. So powerful and so aggressive, I love watching him play a his best.

That and when he loses he looks like this:

Humane_Society_animals_missouri.jpg
Reply 2686
Del Potro is done. More proof that his US Open win was a fluke.

Original post by Zhy
Fred peaking for yet another mickey mouse indoor hardcourt title. Enough of this aggressive baseliner play, I want to see some grinding. I miss Nad-Djok finals already.

I've missed your mindless drivel.....it's been what, 3 days?
Original post by Zhy
Del Potro is done. More proof that his US Open win was a fluke.

Finally something refreshing from Zhy, not some useless neg-Fed comments.
Got offered a pair of tickets for court no. 2, Monday of the 2nd week today. Not the best tickets. I applied from two addresses though so still hoping for a second offer in the next day or so. I haven't been allocated any for years so a double whammy would be nice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Got offered a pair of tickets for court no. 2, Monday of the 2nd week today. So pretty naff tickets. I applied from two addresses though so still hoping for a second offer in the next day or so. I haven't been allocated any for years so a double whammy would be nice :biggrin:

2nd Monday is great, regardless of court. I'd love to go on Court 2 though. Looks nice and compact. I've been a fair few times and the best time was when I went on the 2nd Monday.

I've been offered Centre Court for the 2nd Thursday, so women's semi-final day. I won't be able to make it that day but I'm not too keen on spending so much money for women's semis.

I think I may go to the French Open instead. Never been before so maybe it's time for something different.
Original post by TheMagicRat
2nd Monday is great, regardless of court. I'd love to go on Court 2 though. Looks nice and compact. I've been a fair few times and the best time was when I went on the 2nd Monday.

I've been offered Centre Court for the 2nd Thursday, so women's semi-final day. I won't be able to make it that day but I'm not too keen on spending so much money for women's semis.

I think I may go to the French Open instead. Never been before so maybe it's time for something different.

French Open is a lot cheaper I think. You can get finals and semi tickets pretty easy really cheap.
Original post by TheMagicRat

It does look nice, but in terms of seeing the likes of Federer/Murray/Nadal/Djokovic, going on 2nd court isn't going to produce that. I might be lucky and get Tsonga etc but I feel reluctant to pay quite a bit of money when it's not very likely I'd see someone who I'd really like to see. I should add that, whilst I enjoy tennis, I'm not one to get excited about seeing some practically unknown person play. Also, I can't stand doubles matches and that's likely to be on the 2nd court.

Think I'll just go to the ATP finals again. :tongue:
Reply 2693
Anyone been watching Dubai? :smile: Semis tomorrow, Murray vs Djok and Fed vs Delpo :biggrin:
Murray will probably win showing how he can beat the best, then come oh so close in the French, all building up perfectly for the Wimbledon hype :colonhash:
Reply 2695
Murray V Fed Dubai Final :biggrin:
Sounds like another tournament for Federer to me (lost once in the last 30 games ish so definitely on form).

Del Potro on a bit of a role with a F, QF, F, W and SF since the start of the season (proving probably that he is back to being better than the rest) but will probably lose to Federer again.

Djokovic will probably beat Murray but with the 3-set format i can see Federer winning.

Tomic in the QF at Delray against Isner as well.
Reply 2697
Murray wins the first set with a double break! :biggrin:
Bit of a slow start from both players, but then Murray picked up the pace and Djokovic didn't follow suit. Murray's now playing very well, shame Djokovic isn't his normal standard.
Anyone else hoping for Murray/Potro?

Latest