The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I was approved for the full amount by the Co-op last week and they've sent off my details to the Skills Funding Agency. The Master's I'm doing is at a registered university so that should be no problem.

Anyone on here know if the Co-op will do any extra checks after the Skills Funding Agency confirm the course?

Cheers
Reply 581
Nope once they have done the credit rating check and its approved your all set. Just wait for the card now.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by (Bored)
The main ones that come to mind are rent, mobile phone, groceries, travel, gas, electricity, water, insurance(s), entertainment, and clothes. Just put down general amounts that equals the amount you are asking for - it's not like we're going to know exactly how much things will cost this far in advance.

I worked out how much I wanted for living costs, then divided by 12 to get the monthly amount and then made my living costs roughly equal that monthly amount (rather than the other way around).

Sweet. Thanks for that.

Also, in the employment section, I am currently employed but I definitely won't be come September. Will this harm me? Why do they need to know if I'm employed?
Reply 583
Original post by bluemohito
Sweet. Thanks for that.

Also, in the employment section, I am currently employed but I definitely won't be come September. Will this harm me? Why do they need to know if I'm employed?

This is the odd thing about the CDL in comparison to other loans. Most loans want you to have a steady income stream (to prove you can pay the loan back) however the government backed CDLs have a specific purpose - to provide credit to those unable to pay for the course themselves. It can actually go against you if you have been in full time employment for a significant amount of time as (in theory) you should be able to fund the course yourself.

However you obviously can't lie about these things (because that would be fraud) so you just have to be honest and hope that it works out (and appeal if it doesn't!) :tongue:

Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 584
Sent my PCDL application off to Co-op today within the 8 week limit. Little nervous I'll hopefully find out next week if I got it. £8000 over 4 years will come up to just under 10,000 including interest. But hey no use complaining until I get an answer from them. Being employed all year I've barely managed to scrape together accomodation fees and still saving up for living expenses for the year before I go. I hope they'll take into account that any money from this temp work is all for those purposes and not reject me considering I have been employed full time in temp work up until just before I go.... agh nerve wracking but gonna have to wait and see. :/
Reply 585
I got turned down by Barclays (after a loooooong string of ineptitudes), and so have sent off an application to the Co-op this week. I'm keeping everything crossed because if they turn me down too there's just no way I can study this year, which is pretty heartbreaking to be honest!

I wish there was some other way to fund Masters degrees other than relying on an anonymous banker deciding (on the basis of just one form) that you qualify / don't qualify for a loan.

Nervous!

Anyone who's applied to the Co-op, how long did it take for you to hear back from them after posting your application?
Reply 586
Original post by ClaireyG
I got turned down by Barclays (after a loooooong string of ineptitudes), and so have sent off an application to the Co-op this week. I'm keeping everything crossed because if they turn me down too there's just no way I can study this year, which is pretty heartbreaking to be honest!

I wish there was some other way to fund Masters degrees other than relying on an anonymous banker deciding (on the basis of just one form) that you qualify / don't qualify for a loan.

Nervous!

Anyone who's applied to the Co-op, how long did it take for you to hear back from them after posting your application?

I sent mine today and just so you know they said it could take up to 4 to 6 weeks to process. But they also said if you have all the necessary documentation and filled the form in correctly, it should be a speedier process. Possibly a week or two to get back with a decision, they're a lot faster than Barclays from what I've read in this thread.

Sucks that its up to a bank to decide if we can go ahead with our futures but best of luck to you.
Reply 587
Hi I'm currently in the process of completing the Career development loan application. I have been working part time for the past 7 months. I am only contracted to a small amount of hours but work a little more each week. When completing the employment section in on the firm should I submit my contracted earnings or my actual earnings? Which method would see me get my loam approved? Bearing in mind I will most probably only work the contracted hours when studying.

Reply 588
Original post by MQ003C
I sent mine today and just so you know they said it could take up to 4 to 6 weeks to process. But they also said if you have all the necessary documentation and filled the form in correctly, it should be a speedier process. Possibly a week or two to get back with a decision, they're a lot faster than Barclays from what I've read in this thread.

Sucks that its up to a bank to decide if we can go ahead with our futures but best of luck to you.

Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully I'll hear back pretty soon.
It's so stressful waiting for the decision though!

Good luck with your application. Got my fingers crossed for everyone waiting to hear back. We'll all get to study yet...
Reply 589
Just a quick question, does this only apply to people going to university? What about apprenticeships?

If I apply for this do I need a job and do I need to have a good credit score?
Reply 591
Original post by ClaireyG

Nervous!

I sent my form last Tuesday, it arrived on the Wednesday and I passed the credit check on the Friday. Just waiting for the Skills Funding Agency to approve the course (should be done by tomorrow) and then the Co-op will send out the confirmation forms that myself and the university need to sign and stamp.

Reply 592
Original post by Armaghgeddon1988
If I apply for this do I need a job and do I need to have a good credit score?

You don't need a job but you need a good credit report.

Original post by LHarper
You don't need a job but you need a good credit report.

I can get a loan from a bank in Northern Ireland but not in England.
Reply 594
Original post by LHarper
I sent my form last Tuesday, it arrived on the Wednesday and I passed the credit check on the Friday. Just waiting for the Skills Funding Agency to approve the course (should be done by tomorrow) and then the Co-op will send out the confirmation forms that myself and the university need to sign and stamp.

Hi guys. To those of you who applied to the CO-OP, what documents did you have to send with the application form or have to send after they asked for it later (if they asked for it)?

And to anyone who has applied to Barclays, once they approve your application do they send a form to be stamped? and after you return that do they send any more forms to be completed and sent? or do you just get the loan put directly into your account?

I am going home soon and will not be at my term address till very close to when uni restarts but i need the loan to pay off tuition fees so i don't want to go home and miss any letters which will delay my application.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Staying on the theme of the Co-Op, I sent my application form on Friday, when do you suppose I'll hear back?
Reply 596
I called to check on my application and they explained that it goes through their distribution centre first which means it can take up to a week to actually get to the right department. If you supplied your mobile number they'll give you a text when they have your application, and after that it should take no more than ten working days to get a decision.

Also, I sent mine on a Sunday night and heard back on the Friday.

Good luck with your application! :smile:
Reply 597
Sent mine last tuesday and got the text on thursday to wait for ten working days for a further update it's been nearly a week and....I CAN'T WAIT AT ALL! I'm getting so impatient with this and a little stressed I have half a mind to call Co-op and ask about the status of my application... but I don't know I'm going to have to wait until next week.
Reply 598
Original post by MQ003C
Sent mine last tuesday and got the text on thursday to wait for ten working days for a further update it's been nearly a week and....I CAN'T WAIT AT ALL! I'm getting so impatient with this and a little stressed I have half a mind to call Co-op and ask about the status of my application... but I don't know I'm going to have to wait until next week.

Be patient. These things take time. I don't know about Co-op, but Barclay's for example say that it typically takes 5-7 weeks to reach a decision.
Reply 599
Would it be possible for me to apply for £4,000. And then add an additional £4,000 if I don't get one of the scholarships for my course?

The course starts Sept 24, and the scholarships happen in the last week of August.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending