The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by NMoffat
Hey guys. I looked a little into the CDL last year when I started planning for my course this year (MSc at University of Birmingham).

The course I'm taking will be paying 80% of my tuition fees via an industry award, will I have any trouble getting the remaining 20% from Co-Op (I intend to go with them, they sound great)?

And I read a littl way up this page that a graduate loan would be a good idea to take out at the end of the course, pay off the CDL immediately and take it from there. Can anyone expand on this please?

Only thing I don't like is that you can't apply for a CDL until 8 weeks before the course starts. That's...not a lot of time to correct mistakes if something goes belly up.

As far as I'm aware, you can apply for a CDL from 3 months before the start of your course.

Reason why taking out a graduate loan to pay off the CDL is because you'll be pay back less interest on the repayments in the graduate loan, so you can save yourself a couple of hundred pounds by doing this.

I'm not sure if you can get the entirety of that remaining 20% paid for by the CDL. They say they can cover up to 80% of course fees if you've been working prior to taking the loan (and things like grants or awards won't affect a loan approval btw), so quite possibly, with the 20% amount left of the course fees, the CDL may only cover 80% of that amount...if that make sense..
Reply 781
Original post by NMoffat
[...] And I read a littl way up this page that a graduate loan would be a good idea to take out at the end of the course, pay off the CDL immediately and take it from there. Can anyone expand on this please? [...]

For you it is slightly different because you are not taking out the full amount so you have more room to play with in terms of repayment (i.e. anyone borrowing the full £10,000 will almost always take it over 60 months). But the reality is the APR on a graduate loan is higher than the professional and career development loan so you will not be saving any money whatsoever; it is actually more expensive.

You will save money if you manage to get an unsecured personal loan with something an APR of something like 5%, but you need to be in paid employment lasting more than eight months and at least £1000 going into your account per month (for my bank). This is one thing people conveniently forget to mention when they talk about paying off their CDL after they finish their course. As if banks will just give someone an unsecured loan of £10,000! Not to mention the APR might be higher than 5%. But if you can get a loan then you can save thousands if you took out the full CDL loan, and have lower repayments. For you it is less important because you are only taking out £2000.
Reply 782
Original post by evantej
For you it is slightly different because you are not taking out the full amount so you have more room to play with in terms of repayment (i.e. anyone borrowing the full £10,000 will almost always take it over 60 months). But the reality is the APR on a graduate loan is higher than the professional and career development loan so you will not be saving any money whatsoever; it is actually more expensive.

You will save money if you manage to get an unsecured personal loan with something an APR of something like 5%, but you need to be in paid employment lasting more than eight months and at least £1000 going into your account per month (for my bank). This is one thing people conveniently forget to mention when they talk about paying off their CDL after they finish their course. As if banks will just give someone an unsecured loan of £10,000! Not to mention the APR might be higher than 5%. But if you can get a loan then you can save thousands if you took out the full CDL loan, and have lower repayments. For you it is less important because you are only taking out £2000.

Okay? Looks like I've some serious reading to do then.

I should provide more info. My course fees are £5,130 in total, I'll only need to cover £1,026 of that plus living expenses (I'm projecting in the range of £5,000 for those, very roughly I might add). At a guess I'd be borrowing a probable maximum of £6,000 for the year, what would you recommend as the wisest course of action based on this?

Original post by Bouffe
As far as I'm aware, you can apply for a CDL from 3 months before the start of your course.

Reason why taking out a graduate loan to pay off the CDL is because you'll be pay back less interest on the repayments in the graduate loan, so you can save yourself a couple of hundred pounds by doing this.

I'm not sure if you can get the entirety of that remaining 20% paid for by the CDL. They say they can cover up to 80% of course fees if you've been working prior to taking the loan (and things like grants or awards won't affect a loan approval btw), so quite possibly, with the 20% amount left of the course fees, the CDL may only cover 80% of that amount...if that make sense..

Oh right??? I'm very glad to hear that! I'm not sure now where I read the 8 weeks thing, but glad to hear it's not true. So for a mid-September start I should be able to apply in June right? Thanks for that.
Good enough for me. I might be a physicist but I'm terrible when it comes to banks, interests and what have you.

Yeah that's what concerns me. I'm working a meager 9 hour week since there's nothing else to be had. Maybe I should enquire directly with the Co-op. I suppose worst comes to it I could just take out the 20% difference on top of my living costs and pass them off as such.

All your responses are much appreciated guys, I'm clueless when it comes to banking and finance!
Reply 783
Original post by NMoffat
[...] I should provide more info. My course fees are £5,130 in total, I'll only need to cover £1,026 of that plus living expenses (I'm projecting in the range of £5,000 for those, very roughly I might add). At a guess I'd be borrowing a probable maximum of £6,000 for the year, what would you recommend as the wisest course of action based on this? [...]

Ah, I only thought you were looking for a loan for your tuition fees.

Living costs are a different story all together. It will depend entirely upon your circumstances. For example, when I applied for a career development loan, I used what was left over from my tuition fees to cover living expenses (i.e. £5550). This was not really enough given I moved to a relatively expensive part of the country (Bristol), but I took out the full £10,000 so there was nothing more I could do other than pick up little bits of work when I could (e.g. invigilation).

Living expenses are the one thing the bank will not really question so I would use this to your advantage. Things always cost more than you think. So if you wanted to borrow £6026 overall then just round it up to give you a safety net (e.g. £7000 or £7500). It is also clearer how much you are paying back in interest overall.

In terms of repayment, if you know you have a job and can afford repayments then pay it over three years or even less. You will pay far less interest overall. But this means there is less incentive to apply for an unsecured loan as there interest rate differences are minimal, and you lose the protection you get with a CDL (i.e. you can defer your payments if you are unemployed or on tax credits for up to 18 months). If you are at all unsure then take it out over five years.
Reply 784
Ok, having a little heart attack moment of sorts.

I've got a place at QMUL for this year to do an MA. However, I was just reading over the tuition fee payments information, and it came to my attention that it is expected that ALL Postgraduate students must pay 50% of their tuition fees BEFORE enrollment. I'm using the CDL to cover my tuition fees, so how does this work exactly? Will an arrangement be made between the bank and QM for the payment installments to be made and I don't have to worry about paying that 50%? I'm aware that I'll have to pay 20% of the tuition fees anyway since I've been working, so would I be expected to pay that upfront directly to QM, and then QM will send instruction to my bank telling I've enrolled and thus the payments for the rest will start going to QM?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Bouffe
Ok, having a little heart attack moment of sorts.

I've got a place at QMUL for this year to do an MA. However, I was just reading over the tuition fee payments information, and it came to my attention that it is expected that ALL Postgraduate students must pay 50% of their tuition fees BEFORE enrollment. I'm using the CDL to cover my tuition fees, so how does this work exactly? Will an arrangement be made between the bank and QM for the payment installments to be made and I don't have to worry about paying that 50%? I'm aware that I'll have to pay 20% of the tuition fees anyway since I've been working, so would I be expected to pay that upfront directly to QM, and then QM will send instruction to my bank telling I've enrolled and thus the payments for the rest will start going to QM?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

If your University is a registered learning provider with the YPLA, then they will have agreed to the circumstances under which the CDL pays tuition (three instalments over the academic year), notwithstanding what is stated on their website.
I appreciate it the loans are decided by the banks and that everybody has different financial circumstances but has anyone been declined or heard of people who have been declined CDLs? As I'm pretty nervous about leaving it so close to the start of my masters!!!

Also how do they actually work? Say I apply for £10,000 can they reject my application but instead offer me say £6,000 or is it more of a straight yes or no?

Thanks Matt x
Reply 787
Original post by evantej
Ah, I only thought you were looking for a loan for your tuition fees.

Living costs are a different story all together. It will depend entirely upon your circumstances. For example, when I applied for a career development loan, I used what was left over from my tuition fees to cover living expenses (i.e. £5550). This was not really enough given I moved to a relatively expensive part of the country (Bristol), but I took out the full £10,000 so there was nothing more I could do other than pick up little bits of work when I could (e.g. invigilation).

Living expenses are the one thing the bank will not really question so I would use this to your advantage. Things always cost more than you think. So if you wanted to borrow £6026 overall then just round it up to give you a safety net (e.g. £7000 or £7500). It is also clearer how much you are paying back in interest overall.

In terms of repayment, if you know you have a job and can afford repayments then pay it over three years or even less. You will pay far less interest overall. But this means there is less incentive to apply for an unsecured loan as there interest rate differences are minimal, and you lose the protection you get with a CDL (i.e. you can defer your payments if you are unemployed or on tax credits for up to 18 months). If you are at all unsure then take it out over five years.

hmm insightful, thankyou! Yeah I'm lucky enough to be getting an 80% industry award for tuition fees, and housing is looking to be in the £60-£70 range (hurrah!).

Yeah I hear you there, I figured I'd borrow a little more to cover tuition fees via living expenses, just in case they wouldn't give me the full 100% coverage for whatever reason. I'll be keeping a weekend job while I study too; if I don't need to spend that extra money I can start putting it aside for repayments or in case of emergency.

HA yeah they do, I used to spend £20 a week on food shopping but I'm willing to bet that won't be possible any more. Like I say, anything I don't need to spend can go aside for repayments after the fact.

My course leader suggests that nearly everyone comes off the course and walks straight into a job (we do our dissertation with an industry firm, who also happen to be giving out the industry awards); but, nearly everyone isn't really solid enough to bank a repayment plan on if you ask me.
Reply 788
Original post by NMoffat
hmm insightful, thankyou! Yeah I'm lucky enough to be getting an 80% industry award for tuition fees, and housing is looking to be in the £60-£70 range (hurrah!).

Yeah I hear you there, I figured I'd borrow a little more to cover tuition fees via living expenses, just in case they wouldn't give me the full 100% coverage for whatever reason. I'll be keeping a weekend job while I study too; if I don't need to spend that extra money I can start putting it aside for repayments or in case of emergency.

HA yeah they do, I used to spend £20 a week on food shopping but I'm willing to bet that won't be possible any more. Like I say, anything I don't need to spend can go aside for repayments after the fact.

My course leader suggests that nearly everyone comes off the course and walks straight into a job (we do our dissertation with an industry firm, who also happen to be giving out the industry awards); but, nearly everyone isn't really solid enough to bank a repayment plan on if you ask me.

It sounds like you have your head screwed on right. I would only be wary of your course leader's suggestion. Unless he actually works in industry, then it is likely to be bull**** just to get you on the course. We are still in the middle of a recession and competition for jobs is tough for everyone.
Original post by evantej

This is good to hear. I didn't know that!
Reply 790
Hey, does anyone know how long it takes from application to receiving the money for a cdl? Also I read that after you finish your course, you must get employment in the UK if you take out a CDL. Is this true? Thanks. :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by evantej
It sounds like you have your head screwed on right. I would only be wary of your course leader's suggestion. Unless he actually works in industry, then it is likely to be bull**** just to get you on the course. We are still in the middle of a recession and competition for jobs is tough for everyone.

Well I think he's fairly involved, being an active researcher and such and he does seem to have some pretty tight contacts with the industry, but yeah pinch of salt and all that!

I expect competition but not enough to make getting good work difficult, UoB's pretty leading in terms of Nuclear and astrophysical science and I'm told we can expect a class of 20-25 peers this year.
Reply 792
I made a comment earlier in this thread so I hope this will not be considered a duplicate. I am a EU citizen and I desperately need a loan to study in the UK. The problem is that most of the banks (if not all) in my country are bankrupted :smile: and they do not provision loans.

Is there ANY way to get a loan or funding with a earthly rate (no loan shark options please :smile: ) from the UK as a EU citizen?
Reply 793
Original post by ddmichael
I made a comment earlier in this thread so I hope this will not be considered a duplicate. I am a EU citizen and I desperately need a loan to study in the UK. The problem is that most of the banks (if not all) in my country are bankrupted :smile: and they do not provision loans.

Is there ANY way to get a loan or funding with a earthly rate (no loan shark options please :smile: ) from the UK as a EU citizen?

The only way to get CDL (Career development loan) in the UK is if you have lived in the UK for at least 3 the years immediately preceding the star of your course. These loans go up to a maximum of 10,000 pounds.

Any other bank loan in the UK, I assume you need to have been a client with them for at least 3 to 6 months and have a job with money coming into the account on a regular basis.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi everyone :smile:

I've phoned up today to request an application form for the CDL, and the woman on the phone said that if I apply for the NHS Social Work Bursary then I can't apply for the CDL because the Bursary covers the cost of the fees (it doesn't!). But then on the university website, it says that you can apply for the CDL as a supplement to any bursaries, grants etc (and all of this was in the postgrad section). So i'm feeling a bit confused.....
Reply 795
Original post by CookieDoughLove
[...] I've phoned up today to request an application form for the CDL, and the woman on the phone said that if I apply for the NHS Social Work Bursary then I can't apply for the CDL because the Bursary covers the cost of the fees (it doesn't!). But then on the university website, it says that you can apply for the CDL as a supplement to any bursaries, grants etc (and all of this was in the postgrad section). So i'm feeling a bit confused.....

The university is wrong. You cannot use a career development loan to supplement statutory student support (i.e. support from the NHS, SAAS or SLC). A career development loan is a loan of last resort intended for students who have no other means to finance further study.

Proper social work degrees with HCPC accreditation are funded by NHS Business Services Authority. The NHS do not always fully fund every course for the whole duration, because not every course needs such an incentive or is under subscribed (dentistry and medicine are prime examples). I know from 2013/14 social work is not funded in the first year so you should talk to the SLC in your resident country to see if they will provide support in the first instance. If they are unwilling to provide support then you will have to fund it yourself.
Original post by evantej
The university is wrong. You cannot use a career development loan to supplement statutory student support (i.e. support from the NHS, SAAS or SLC). A career development loan is a loan of last resort intended for students who have no other means to finance further study.

Proper social work degrees with HCPC accreditation are funded by NHS Business Services Authority. The NHS do not always fully fund every course for the whole duration, because not every course needs such an incentive or is under subscribed (dentistry and medicine are prime examples). I know from 2013/14 social work is not funded in the first year so you should talk to the SLC in your resident country to see if they will provide support in the first instance. If they are unwilling to provide support then you will have to fund it yourself.

The bursary still leaves £1172 left to pay each year. Its no biggie, I can always put it off for a few years so I can save. But it is so frustrating. My undergraduate has been entirely self funded so I have zero debts, had I of known that postgrads get very little help, i'd of saved the money for now :frown:

Thank you for the info though! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Back again......looking on the Barclays website, it says that the PCDL can be used for living expenses also, so I don't understand why you're automatically exempt from applying for it if you get the NHS Bursary when the purpose of that is to pay for fees (I understand the PCDL is also for fees but the bank says it can also be used for living expenses).
Reply 798
Original post by HevBev
Hey, does anyone know how long it takes from application to receiving the money for a cdl? Also I read that after you finish your course, you must get employment in the UK if you take out a CDL. Is this true? Thanks. :smile:

I'm just going to send this one out there again. Anybody?
Reply 799
Original post by HevBev

I think after you get the necessary paperwork done on enrolment of your course and after you have sent such paperwork to your bank, it will take about 5 working days after that before the money is released.

It would be expected that you would find a job after you finish the course, otherwise how else would you pay back the loan? Unless you happen to have the necessary funds to pay back the loan on graduation, you would have no choice but to get a job so you can afford the repayments. You have 2 months to find a job if you have not already done so before the repayments have to be made. Job or not, you will have to make the repayments either way. You can delay the repayments for an additional amount of time if the bank agrees, depending on what circumstances you find yourself in at the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending