The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ezekiel
applied on tuesday got a letter in the post on thursday morning saying i got the loan with barclays.

Do you already bank with Barclays because that is a very quick turn around :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Original post by Shiv_Shiv
Do you already bank with Barclays because that is a very quick turn around :s-smilie:

yes i have an account with them. I also have about 3000 worth of debt still to service. So don't worry if i can get one anybody can, i know lots of people worry about that. It's a bit late now but for next year I'd recommend that all those going for CDL get a bank account a year before with the CoOp / Barc it will be much easier for you in the long run.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by T-Zee
can you defer your payments once your course has finished? i.e. still can't get a job and cant pay what ever it is monthly?

No. The point of CDL is that it is a bank loan, albeit a government subsidised one. When you sign the agreement with the bank you are signing your name to a document that commits you to a certain number of monthly repayments at a certain amount REGARDLESS of whether or not you have a job. This is why you are advised to only take out an amount you can afford to repay and on terms that you can afford to repay if the worst happens. They may be open to restructuring the payments slightly, but you cannot defer payment.
Reply 83
I've been awarded a CDL loan and having waded through the paperwork they seem to have made a mistake. I start my course this September on the 21st. I graduate next december 2012 my course would finish in the September. Barclays have scheduled my first repayment for the 11th 2013. I thought I should be repaying the loan 1 month after i graduate i.e 12/12 ... Im thinking that perhaps they think I'm doing a 2 year course. There is a bit of a loophole there i think because nowhere on the forms i send to the university do they ask for course dates. Is x registered on x course in 2011 (yes) are you an approved provider with the skills council (yes) that's it and they ask for stamp. A bit unsure what to do
Reply 84
tash is right about the payments, you cannot defer them, my friend was in the position where she could not afford to pay £209 so she managed to lower the amount to £115 which was something.
Reply 85
just got a letter from barclays with all my documents and it says "when providing documents we will need to see copies which have been certified on each page by a member of barclays staff" it did not mention this in the application form because i would have done it in the first rather then having to waste yet another 3 weeks for them to just send it back!!! so do i need to go to barclays and get it signed? last time i went in they told me there is no one in the bank that deals with the loans, it is all done over the phone! anyone else having similar issues?
I am applying for a CDL and handed all the forms in today.

I went to my local Barclay's and she checked the whole form over, checked over the items I was sending with it and additional details i attached.
She then told me she was going to send it through the internal mail system so it will be received faster.

Honestly, I am worried I won't get it but i know tons of people in the same situation as me with the same debt(Typical student loan and an over draft) who have got the loan.

A detail I found out was the Barclay's don't really take the budget planner into consideration if your living amount for a month is less than £500. Mines going to be £460 a month including rent.

I have been stalking this topic to see the advice that people have been giving, i thank you for it.
Reply 87
Original post by Ezekiel
I've been awarded a CDL loan and having waded through the paperwork they seem to have made a mistake. I start my course this September on the 21st. I graduate next december 2012 my course would finish in the September. Barclays have scheduled my first repayment for the 11th 2013. I thought I should be repaying the loan 1 month after i graduate i.e 12/12 ... Im thinking that perhaps they think I'm doing a 2 year course. There is a bit of a loophole there i think because nowhere on the forms i send to the university do they ask for course dates. Is x registered on x course in 2011 (yes) are you an approved provider with the skills council (yes) that's it and they ask for stamp. A bit unsure what to do

Ring and tell them. The form acts as a contract so all the details needs to be right before you sign it and send it back. Alternatively, you could just send it back as it is. They might spot the error and correct it in retrospect; when they were updating my online account they initially put my career development as £5000 rather than £10,000, for example, and later corrected it (much to my disappointment! :tongue:).
Reply 88
I've just found out I've been rejected for a CDL from Barclay's. I'm really gutted.

Going to appeal as apparently they turned me down due to one occasion when I went overdrawn. If I can convince them it's an anomaly then it might just work...
Reply 89
When did you go overdrawn, was it recently?
Reply 90
I emailed the my university today to ask for a letter which confirms my place so that I can send it with my CDL application. However, they have emailed me the letter into the actual email and not an attached document with headed paper. Is this going to be sufficient or do I need to tell them it has to be on a headed document?
Reply 91
Sorry for the late reply!

I went overdrawn in March and was charged for it in April, which just about showed up on my 3 months worth of bank statements I provided.

Although it was an 'unarranged overdraft' as opposed to dipping into an agreed bank overdraft. Such a ball-ache. It was only a few days before I got paid too...
Wait, you sent the forms off already? I thought we couldn't send to Barclays until 3 months before the course start dates?
Reply 93
most courses begin in september so you can apply for barclays in june and coop in july
Reply 94
Yeah, I (hope to, at least) start my course on 26th September, so I sent the forms off so they would arrive on 26th June.
Reply 95
Original post by Shiv_Shiv
I emailed the my university today to ask for a letter which confirms my place so that I can send it with my CDL application. However, they have emailed me the letter into the actual email and not an attached document with headed paper. Is this going to be sufficient or do I need to tell them it has to be on a headed document?

to be on the safe side, ask for a headed letter, when i used to work at the bank, they often mentioned that universities need to give a headed letter, otherwise they will just keep asking u to send another copy, therefore prolonging the process
I sent my forms off today, had to go back to Barclays with paper copies of my bank statement as they wouldn't accept electronic ones.

How long is it taking roughly for them to get back to people?
Reply 97
Original post by Amit123
to be on the safe side, ask for a headed letter, when i used to work at the bank, they often mentioned that universities need to give a headed letter, otherwise they will just keep asking u to send another copy, therefore prolonging the process

Does it have to be the original or can it be a photocopy?
Also, when it comes to employment, I currently have two jobs - one permenant (NHS) and one casual work (NHS Bank) obviosuly there is only one space for employment, do I therefore write a letter stating that I have a second casual job...

It may sound like a lot of work but during my studies I don't intend on working at all!
Reply 98
Which one is more strict, Barclays or Coop?
Reply 99
Hi guys, I am thinking off getting a Barclays CDL for funding my postgraduate course at uni.

I have a joint account with my mum for Barclays, so if i give them a ring and apply for my CDL, will that be okay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending