The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
My application was with Barclays and they turned me down. I phoned the Co-Op after to see whether it'd be worth me applying there but they said they use the same criteria and credit checks on applicants.

Although saying that, as you can only apply to the Co-Op later, they must get a ton of applicants applying to them purely because they got turned down by Barclays.
Reply 101
Took about 1 week between sending everything off and receiving a reply, although mine was rejected It might take longer if yours is successful as I assume there'd be more admin for them to sort out etc...
Reply 102
For those who have been turned down, did they inform you the reason(s) why?
Reply 103
They give a general reason on the letter (mine just said 'owing to the previous running of your account'). But if you phone up they should give you a more specific reason.
Reply 104
Just reading over these forums it seems that the fators that decide if you get a PCDL are completley random. I'm a Barclays customer, im about £650 into my overdraft, and have about £500 on a credit card; but I have a credit score of 906 (in the "good" category) - I pay my bills on time and have not had any real issues with repayments. However, Barclays turned me down for a £7000 loan stating that my credit score was below their current acceptance levels. I am now awaiting a second application to apply via co-op, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure I get approved through co-op or any alternative forms of financing myself if I get turned down again?
Reply 105
Original post by rroberts88
just got a letter from barclays with all my documents and it says "when providing documents we will need to see copies which have been certified on each page by a member of barclays staff" it did not mention this in the application form because i would have done it in the first rather then having to waste yet another 3 weeks for them to just send it back!!! so do i need to go to barclays and get it signed? last time i went in they told me there is no one in the bank that deals with the loans, it is all done over the phone! anyone else having similar issues?

it does say the supporting forms need certifying on the application form.
i did see that but when i went to barclays they said no one deals with it at the branch and it would be fine to send it like that which i did, went second time round and spoke to one of the managers who got someone to sign each page for me, two weeks later again i receive it all back in the post and it doesnt even say whats wrong and i every single page has be signed, all the evidence is there, dont know what else it is?!!! so im ringing them during my lunch break, hopefully i will manage to get through as i only have 30 mins :s-smilie: anyone else having issues?
Reply 107
Just completed the form and turned to the back to see what documentation I need to send. I have NONE of the identified proof of address documents because I rent and don't receive any bills (except for my phone bill which is not accepted). It does say at the top that a bank statement is sufficient for proof of address but if I don't tick one of the boxes in this section will it be sent back? Do I need to write a cover letter stating that the bank details is my only proof of address??

Also, if I get a bank statement now whilst I am currently in my agreed graduate overdraft will this affect my application? Should I be in the black before sending my application?
I want to apply for one at Barclays for a 8,000 CDL loan for my health psych doctorate in Sept, but I don't think I stand a chance! :frown:

1. almost at my overdraft limit (embarrassingly at the max overdraft limit for barclays!)
2. No savings
3. No job- only volunteering work
4. Assumed poor credit rating (although I don't own any credit cards, loans or any contracts).
5. If asked, given my education record, I will probably need to convince them that I'm not some sort of degree collector- but rather someone looking to depart from research and academia to something more applied via supporting people through psychological practice!

:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Barclays sent my form back because there was one page of bank statements missing, which was in the envelope so the woman must have missed it when she signed them all. Annoyingly, it only has two lines on anyway, and I can't get to the bank until Friday :banghead:
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
Barclays sent my form back because there was one page of bank statements missing, which was in the envelope so the woman must have missed it when she signed them all. Annoyingly, it only has two lines on anyway, and I can't get to the bank until Friday :banghead:

Poor you :tongue:
Reply 111
I have applied and been provisionally accepted for the loan through Barclays... done it over the phone as I bank with them. Got all the paperwork through to sign and send back but one of the things I'm confused about...

I need to sign and complete the Learning Provider Declaration, which is essentially what UCL have to fill in and sign and send back to me. The bit I'm confused about is that it says: "complete, sign and date the learning provider declaration CONFIRMING THAT YOU HAVE STARTED TRAINING". I don't start until september! Can anyone advise me on this? WHat do they mean? That I have been accepted or that I have a place confirmed or something?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Mir
Reply 112
Ive just rang Barclays up regarding my CDL and ive been told i've been provisionally accepted, but from my application form i missed a few questions, so the lady on the phone took the details for the questions and are passing it on to the processing team. Does this mean i have been fully accepted as they said ring back in 5-7 days for a decision? Surely if i have been provisionally accepted what decision are they going to make?

Hope somebody can answer this for me.
Quick question in regard to repayments on the cdl.

I'm about to apply for a £1000 cdl loan through barclays to help with living costs for a full time masters and was wondering if it is possible that to repay the loan in one payment during the interest free month after completion of a masters course, thereby avoiding any interest payments?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 114
Do I need to send bank statements of my E-ISA?
Reply 115
Which bank is the best to go for? I.e. which one is easier in being accepted??
Reply 116
Original post by mir
I have applied and been provisionally accepted for the loan through Barclays... done it over the phone as I bank with them. Got all the paperwork through to sign and send back but one of the things I'm confused about...

I need to sign and complete the Learning Provider Declaration, which is essentially what UCL have to fill in and sign and send back to me. The bit I'm confused about is that it says: "complete, sign and date the learning provider declaration CONFIRMING THAT YOU HAVE STARTED TRAINING". I don't start until september! Can anyone advise me on this? WHat do they mean? That I have been accepted or that I have a place confirmed or something?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Mir

You need UCL to confirm your attendance (i.e. when you register in September) before Barclays will complete your application; usually you pick your stuff (student card, library information and what not) up from uni., then you will get someone in the finance office to stamp and photocopy things on their end. I had registration on 04/10 last year and posted the completed forms etc. the same day, and received my money (11/10) the following Monday (i.e. it took a week).

Barclays will not give you any money until they have proof that you are actually studying at UCL. You can only get that proof when you enrol. It makes money issues problematic, but in my experience they are far faster than the Student Loan Company ever was, especially if you ran into difficulties.

Original post by Ramz
Ive just rang Barclays up regarding my CDL and ive been told i've been provisionally accepted, but from my application form i missed a few questions, so the lady on the phone took the details for the questions and are passing it on to the processing team. Does this mean i have been fully accepted as they said ring back in 5-7 days for a decision? Surely if i have been provisionally accepted what decision are they going to make?

Hope somebody can answer this for me.

If Barclays have given you a provisional confirmation, then you will almost certainly get the money so long as the other details have no major baring on the application. I missed out one detail on the application, too, regarding the dates I was a student, for example. I told them over the phone and the paperwork was processed as normal.

Original post by electrolux
Quick question in regard to repayments on the cdl.

I'm about to apply for a £1000 cdl loan through barclays to help with living costs for a full time masters and was wondering if it is possible that to repay the loan in one payment during the interest free month after completion of a masters course, thereby avoiding any interest payments?

Thanks in advance.

Early-repayment information is included in the application. If you are only borrowing £1000, and you think you can repay that back quickly, it might make more sense to apply for another loan in all honesty, or even to try and extend your overdraft.
(edited 12 years ago)
am wondering this also
Reply 118
Would people who have been successful in getting a CDL be able to tell me what their credit score is (if they know it). This would be a great help in me judging if i'd be able to get one.

Many thanks,

Alex
Reply 119
I have just submitted my barclays application. And I know these things take ages. Whats worse is that i dont even know if I will get the career development loan.
I know its says that you should not apply to barclays and co-op at the same time.. but has anyone actually done?? was it ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending