The Student Room Group

The Deceptively Non-Vegetarian Vegetarian Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotoMimo
hmjessop, I didn't mean to offend by it, and I'm sure this will likely offend SOMEONE, but I often think there are some vegetarians will adopt the label of "vegetarianism" as some elitist tag as opposed to a lifestyle choice.

I think you may be right that some may see it as an elitist tag, possibly in the same way that some people will see holidaying in Lebanon an elitist tag: it makes them "interesting". But, you have to look at it in context - in social situations involving the consumption of food you do have to let people know you don't/can't eat certain things and this may bring up questions. It's not like at a BBQ you could fail to mention it until the burgers were char grilled and the sausages heated to make the ecoli bugs comfortably warm without there being the possibilty of nothing you can eat.

My parents, when I go home, have a huge problem trying to feed me because they are never quite sure what I can and can't eat. So in that sense it would create an elitist label, not because anyone wants it but because without it you'll go hungry
Original post by Smoosh
This isn't true. You'll find almost all products that have whey in them are not marked as suitable for vegetarians.

Anyway, amongst my recent findings of things that aren't vegetarian are: aero, most ben and jerry's, maltesers, kit kat chunkys.

And also to point out, tangy cheese doritos are on the OP list, but they definitely are suitable for vegetarians.

Where did you see this? I have a pack of maltesers here-deffo suitable for the veggie folk.

If veggies want jelly btw Marks and Spencers do a lovely range and have added more recently
I'm not sure if this has been said by another poster, but McDonald's "veggie" deli wraps/sandwiches aren't vegetarian because of the sweet chili sauce :/ At least that's what one of their staff told me.

Also... I'M SO HAPPY MARKS AND SPENCERS DO VEGGIE PERCY PIGS!
Reply 383
Shutter, many branches of mcdo also fry their veggie patties in the beef oil :]
i'm pretty sure that this has already been mentioned, but sacla's organic pesto is suitable for vegetarians and i can confirm that it is in fact delicious. :wink:
Reply 385
Original post by beccafairy
i'm pretty sure that this has already been mentioned, but sacla's organic pesto is suitable for vegetarians and i can confirm that it is in fact delicious. :wink:

Where do you buy yours from? I love it but struggle to find it. I sometimes use vegan ones from a veggie food store near me but it's just not quite as good!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Original post by kpwxx
Where do you buy yours from? I love it but struggle to find it. I sometimes use vegan ones from a veggie food store near me but it's just not quite as good!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

i found it in sainsbury's. :smile:
Reply 387
At the end of the day the only things that compromise chocolate are whey and gelatine .. I read the ingredients of everything I buy xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TotoMimo
Shutter, many branches of mcdo also fry their veggie patties in the beef oil :]

Ahh that doesn't surprise me. I don't go Mcdonalds very often anyway, usually just get fries and a coke anyway :smile: Just I don't like it being labelled spicy "veggie" deli whatever when it isn't, but hey that's Mcdonalds...Cheers for the extra info though :smile:
Original post by DuncanMono

My parents, when I go home, have a huge problem trying to feed me because they are never quite sure what I can and can't eat. So in that sense it would create an elitist label, not because anyone wants it but because without it you'll go hungry

My Dad doesn't seem too bothered, but today I told my Mum I'm really considering becoming vegan when I return to uni and she said "Is that the one that's even worse?"...I knew what she meant, as in is that more restrictive...but yeah. I wouldn't say she's unsupportive at all though.

But for anyone else considering veganism, Look at this list Sainsburys have of all their vegan products! http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A85452DE-20A2-4A49-B8BE-B6B36FB5CDB7/0/VeganproductlistMay2012.pdf

Hashbrowns! :smile: I wasn't expecting them to be on their because thought they'd be bound with eggs.
Original post by Shutter_bug
My Dad doesn't seem too bothered, but today I told my Mum I'm really considering becoming vegan when I return to uni and she said "Is that the one that's even worse?"...I knew what she meant, as in is that more restrictive...but yeah. I wouldn't say she's unsupportive at all though.

But for anyone else considering veganism, Look at this list Sainsburys have of all their vegan products! http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A85452DE-20A2-4A49-B8BE-B6B36FB5CDB7/0/VeganproductlistMay2012.pdf

Hashbrowns! :smile: I wasn't expecting them to be on their because thought they'd be bound with eggs.

This is so helpful, thanks for posting! I'm going vegan this summer now that I'm out of catered accommodation :biggrin:
Original post by hayheyley
This is so helpful, thanks for posting! I'm going vegan this summer now that I'm out of catered accommodation :biggrin:

You're welcome! :smile: Good luck becoming vegan, let me know how you go on as I'm heavily considering it myself.

Not to big up Sainsburys just because I work for them or anything (:wink:) but they do seem to be a very good supermarket for highlighting what's vegan on their own products.
You're welcome! :smile: Good luck becoming vegan, let me know how you go on as I'm heavily considering it myself.

Not to big up Sainsburys just because I work for them or anything (:wink:) but they do seem to be a very good supermarket for highlighting what's vegan on their own products.

Haha thanks. I'm finding it mostly fine so far because I haven't been fond of dairy for years, and I've recently gone off eggs too. It's just the non-vegan snacks that I haven't managed to give up yet :frown:

Yeah I've noticed Sainsburys is good with veggie/vegan labelling, plus there's one just over the road from me so I do most of my shopping there.
Original post by hayheyley
Haha thanks. I'm finding it mostly fine so far because I haven't been fond of dairy for years, and I've recently gone off eggs too. It's just the non-vegan snacks that I haven't managed to give up yet :frown:

Yeah I've noticed Sainsburys is good with veggie/vegan labelling, plus there's one just over the road from me so I do most of my shopping there.

Yeah I have noticed there tends to be a lack of snacks, as you don't always feel like eating seeds or fruit :P Hopefully there's some things on that sainsburys list then. I'm pretty happy digestives are on there! :smile:

Ah that is handy then! :smile:
Yeah I have noticed there tends to be a lack of snacks, as you don't always feel like eating seeds or fruit :P Hopefully there's some things on that sainsburys list then. I'm pretty happy digestives are on there! :smile:

Ginger nuts are normally vegan. :smile:
Plus, you can get vegan chocolate, vegan waffles and even vegan cakes [although, I used to make my own vegan cakes -they were the one thing I could get my entire family to try]. :smile: Similarly, you can get vegan cheese and yogurts and things like the Naked bars are delicious and vegan. :smile:

There's loads of vegan snacks out there, but it just takes a while to realise what is suitable. Loads of biscuits are vegan, crisps, jam tarts, Starburst, fizzy laces, dark chocolate, vegan milk chocolate... It's just a matter of checking the labels on everything, even things you wouldn't expect to be vegan (bourbon biscuits are vegan, although they never seem to print it on the packet).
Reply 396
Original post by Boristhethird
thanks, edited.

oddly, cadburys website has a list of what is 'halal' and 'kosher' , but not vegetarian.
http://www.cadbury.com.au/Products/Halal-Products.aspx

if the product is halal and kosher then it will be suitable for vegetarians. That's because halal food can't contain anything from animals - well not when it's prepared in the Islamic way, which cadbury's don't. And same goes for Kosher afaik.
Original post by Tpos
if the product is halal and kosher then it will be suitable for vegetarians. That's because halal food can't contain anything from animals - well not when it's prepared in the Islamic way, which cadbury's don't. And same goes for Kosher afaik.

(most) fish is both kosher and halal, but not veterinarian

so fish gelatin for instance (as used in kosher haribo) is not veggie.
Reply 398
Original post by Boristhethird
(most) fish is both kosher and halal, but not veterinarian

so fish gelatin for instance (as used in kosher haribo) is not veggie.

Ooh :/

On another note, whey powder is annoying! Why can't they all just use the vegetarian one :frown:
Original post by Tpos
Ooh :/

On another note, whey powder is annoying! Why can't they all just use the vegetarian one :frown:

I could swear some get whey powder from other sources then directly such as from cows milk?

Quick Reply

Latest