The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Candy-Kills
A Friend of mine once told me:

2x(root2)

and as 2 = (root2)x(root2)

then 2x(root2) = (root2)(root2)(root2) = 3(root2) !!!!

HOWS THIS POSSSIBLE????? :cool:

:tsr:

you're an idiot! (root2)(root2)(root2) = (root2)³, NOT 3(root2)!
Reply 21
~Bex~
The first part of what I said:
Candy-Kills said they were a genius. This means they are extremely intelligent, not just in one subject, but in all subjects, therefore spelling shouldnt be a problem.

if so: then there is NO GENIUS at ALL... as NO ONE knows ALL the languages!!! besides, he might be REALLY good at HIS language, which means that he is good at the "language" subject!

The second part, well it could still be explained perfectly well in numbers,

i was saying that if he had to explain it in WORDS in SPANISH.

besides... why r u trying to defend foxo?
Reply 22
Im not trying to defend anyone, just put across a point of view. Why? whats wrong with foxo?
Reply 23
~Bex~
The first part of what I said:
Candy-Kills said they were a genius. This means they are extremely intelligent, not just in one subject, but in all subjects, therefore spelling shouldnt be a problem.

Since when was the definition of a genius "Someone who excels in all subjects"? I'd bet my right ear that Beethoven couldn't do maths to save his life, that Einstein couldn't write for toffee, and Shakespeare wouldn't have the first clue how to write a symphony.
Reply 24
Jack of all trades, master of none. I don't think anyone can be master of all trades. On the otherhand, Bex, you're doing maths, with english literature, history with physics, and add to the mix chemistry also. Nice. I think its great someone can be interested in such differing fields.
Candy-Kills
A Friend of mine once told me:

2x(root2)

and as 2 = (root2)x(root2)

then 2x(root2) = (root2)(root2)(root2) = 3(root2) !!!!

HOWS THIS POSSSIBLE????? :cool:

:tsr:

hmm youre applying for maths???

ok lets do a bit of revision

x + x + x = 3x

and

(x)(x)(x) = x^3

therefore

(root2)(root2)(root2) is not = to 3(root2) but simply (root2)^3 = root 8

good luck for your interviews ....
Reply 26
Cexy
Since when was the definition of a genius "Someone who excels in all subjects"? I'd bet my right ear that Beethoven couldn't do maths to save his life, that Einstein couldn't write for toffee, and Shakespeare wouldn't have the first clue how to write a symphony.

you're absolutely right! cexy, i know you are a bit of a genius though, and wondered if you could help out this guy called superkillball with his fluids work. he's started a thread below entitled 'fluid mechanics, help!', because i'm not terribly good at fluids so can't help him, and i've seen some of the solutions you've done before, and they're generally very good.
Reply 27
nicolo
hmm youre applying for maths???

ok lets do a bit of revision

x + x + x = 3x

and

(x)(x)(x) = x^3

therefore

(root2)(root2)(root2) is not = to 3(root2) but simply (root2)^3 = root 8

good luck for your interviews ....

better late than never... :biggrin:
Reply 28
firefly55
cexy, i know you are a bit of a genius though
I think you seriously overestimate my abilities!

I've been studying maths full-time for the last three years - I imagine it looks like genius if you're only just doing A Levels, but trust me that it's not. I could name twenty people my age just off the top of my head who are better at maths than me, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, more.
Reply 29
firefly55
you're absolutely right! cexy, i know you are a bit of a genius though, and wondered if you could help out this guy called superkillball with his fluids work. he's started a thread below entitled 'fluid mechanics, help!', because i'm not terribly good at fluids so can't help him, and i've seen some of the solutions you've done before, and they're generally very good.

lol
I found it is most funny in this thread :p:
:smile:
Edit: Not because I don't think Cexy is a bit genius, but the way he's asking cexy to help superkillball
Reply 30
Relating back to the original posting, could (root2)(root2)(root2) ever equal 3(root2) under some form of a group? It's a longshot to be honest. Me and my friends were wondering if 2 + 2 could ever equal 5 under a certain but unfortunately not due to the modulo arithmetic :frown:
Reply 31
mpeskett
Relating back to the original posting, could (root2)(root2)(root2) ever equal 3(root2) under some form of a group? It's a longshot to be honest. Me and my friends were wondering if 2 + 2 could ever equal 5 under a certain but unfortunately not due to the modulo arithmetic :frown:

Well, √2*√2*√2 could equal 3√2 under the group given by (X,*) = ( {n√2 : n \inZ}, +).

But I suspect that may be cheating.

If I define a new algebra with elements K(n), with n an integer, and

K(n) = n for n!=4,5
K(4) = 5
K(5) = 4

Then we have

K(2) + K(2) = K(5),

Or in shorthand notation,

2+2=5

But that's definitely cheating :wink:
Cexy
2+2=5

But that's definitely cheating :wink:
When in doubt, move to a modulo 1 system! :cool:
Reply 33
Should we ask 2 + 2 = 5 ?? Maybe he knows :p:
Candy-Kills
ok, but don't tell me it didn't struck u all the first time u saw it?

it did to me... (that was 4 years ago.. but still)
--------------
besides, maybe u arent aware of this but people is spain are really short, plz feel a little sympathy 4 me at least!

Sorry, no. This is the first time I've read it. :rolleyes:

:rofl:
Reply 35
also the factorial operation is only defined for integers so

3(root2)!

has no meaning
Not if you're using the Gamma function as your factorial operator. That is defined for all complex numbers, though it is singular for negative integers.

It has the relation Γ(z+1)=zΓ(z)\Gamma(z+1) = z\Gamma(z), the usual factorial property, and for positive integers it is the factorial function.
Reply 37
yazan_l
since when the knowledge of MATHS depends on the knowledge of ENGLISH?
also : One would assume a person of extraordinary intellect could know that the first language of people from Spain is not English... making a spelling mistake doesnt have ANYTHING to do with whether he/she is good at math or not!
besides, i bet that if he/she wrote the question in spanish, you wouldnt be able to give that "comment"... and yet: i bet if u had to answer that question in Spanish... you would had alot of mistakes.

hahaha

You're a genius yourself. Read Foxo's post again.
Reply 38
AlphaNumeric
Not if you're using the Gamma function as your factorial operator. That is defined for all complex numbers, though it is singular for negative integers.

It has the relation Γ(z+1)=zΓ(z)\Gamma(z+1) = z\Gamma(z), the usual factorial property, and for positive integers it is the factorial function.

ΓSchmamma\Gamma Schmamma
Reply 39
hmm. u guys know kuite a bit o' maths.... but let me tell u:

I GOT AN A IN MY MATHS A-LEVEL !! haha

an i got an UNCONDITIONAL from loughboro for mechanical eng :smile::smile::smile:

ME -> HAPPY :smile::smile::smile:

Latest